E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Car computer resetting

05-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Car computer resetting

Hi,
Wish everyone doing well here.
Haven't been to the forum for quite a while, been busy at work.

Recently when I start my car, it seems like the car computer has reset by itself as it asks me to enter the time and date again.
Also, the digital speedometer that I have coded on the dashboard is not shown, and I have to manually press the BC button to make it come up again.

May I ask if the battery is dying?

The battery voltage is 14v when I plugged in my Carly to check.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
rooks335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Hi

Pressuming you're seeing 14v when the engine is on? That means that alternator is doing its job. You should see around 14-14.8v when the engine is on effectively charging the battery.

Normally when the clock and date resets this could be signs that the ibs is conserving power and letting go of settings like date and time. Another telling sign is when your comfort access or keyless entry stops working too.

With the multimeter what reading are you getting at the battery terminals in the boot?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooks335 View Post
Hi

Pressuming you're seeing 14v when the engine is on? That means that alternator is doing its job. You should see around 14-14.8v when the engine is on effectively charging the battery.

Normally when the clock and date resets this could be signs that the ibs is conserving power and letting go of settings like date and time. Another telling sign is when your comfort access or keyless entry stops working too.

With the multimeter what reading are you getting at the battery terminals in the boot?
Thanks for getting back.

Yes, 14v when the engine is on
What is ibs though?
i wish I had comfort access

Have not had a multimeter, may need to get one to check the battery terminals in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
rooks335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

With new multimeters good to invest in ones with fuses, in case you make a mistake it won't ruin the multimeter.
Autobarn has 20% off for new member signups, but you might want to save it for a new battery if required.

How old is the battery ? Another option is to charge up the battery from the bonnet +/- terminals. Ctek chargers have a recond option and trickle charges the battery which is what you want.
Appreciate 0