E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 Intake Camshaft removal/install - need spring remover?

06-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
yeagermeister
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

N52 Intake Camshaft removal/install - need spring remover?

'07 328xi E91, N52B30AE

It appears I may have the dreaded cam bearing ledge issue. I'm about to start on the process of finding out what stage it's in, and hopefully just replacing the rectangrings (I've never seen limp mode, so I'm hoping it's not advanced stage.) Mentally preparing for a cylinder head replacement if necessary.

Does anyone know if the retainer springs have to be removed to remove the camshaft? It appears on the exhaust side they do not, as the exh cam has the full carrier. I haven't found anything that shows the way the springs fit in/on the rockers. I would think the springs would be tensioned there, but it's unclear to me just how the pieces fit.

The only instruction I've seen regarding camshaft removal looks to be for full overhaul with spring/rocker/valve removal as well.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Appreciate 0