E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Dynavin N6 product sounds encouraging

09-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #573
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

While we're on the subject of audio/sound quality in this thread. Can anybody compare the sound quality of the N6 to a high end aftermarket head unit? Do we know what the output voltage of the Rca's are?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #574
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
While we're on the subject of audio/sound quality in this thread. Can anybody compare the sound quality of the N6 to a high end aftermarket head unit? Do we know what the output voltage of the Rca's are?
Go here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187

First post in that whole thread is all the information you want to know about it's hardware. Pretty much audiophile quality stuff in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #575
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
The fix that Jeff has for the sound fading In & Out turns the DSP Off in the N6 software & works very well. I was one of the 1st to apply this & it completely solves the glitch

Actually, the feature is designed to attenuate the higher frequencies when it senses a drop in reception quality - so that you don't hear that 'hiss' you normally get when station signal drops in & out. Nice thought on Dynavin's part, however, it seems the system is way too sensitive & attenuates the sound based on momentary signal degradation that you normally wouldn't even notice - so it sounds as if the sound is being muted or muddled on & off as you drive since the high freq's are being cut out.

Since Dynavin makes radios for many different makes of car - they left the DSP feature in the software - thinking that if it works well for some, it must work well for all. Apparently, it does not play well with the E9x multi channel antenna. Our antennas have multiple channels - when in Auto mode, the radio ranges thru different channels, or combination of different channels, to yield the best signal.

Of note, before you apply the update that fixes this glitch, you will need to go in to a hidden menu on your stock HU (Jeff can tell you how to do this) to ensure that the system is set to 'Auto' mode instead of just on one of the channels available.

For this reason, it is better if you contact Jeff for the details PRIOR to installing the N6, while your stock HU is still in place - otherwise you are gonna have to take the N6 back out, put the stock HU back in, check the setting, then swap back like I had to do...

As I understand it, everyone in the U.S. with the N6 for our cars has needed this fix - so you are better off just doing it as a matter of course before you install.

> I really never had any problem with reception on my stock HU, but I can say that the N6 in my case has as good as, prolly better reception

> I find the sound quality of the N6 MUCH better than my stock HiFi HU. I currently have all upgraded hi end speakers, but still using the OEM HiFi amp until I get time to install all the JL Audio amps & sub I have setting at home

> The pre-programmed Equalizer setups definitely affect the sound - in a good way, you have a 'Loud' On/Off setting, Dyna-Bass On/Off setting, Bass/Mid/Treble/Sub Woofer controls, & most important is setting the 'Delay' feature correctly - it makes a very audible difference if you set this correctly over it being off.

> Personally, after playing around with the N6 for a while - I use custom settings for the Bass/Mid/Treble controls, Dyna-Bass On, Delay settings of:

53 (FL)
0 (FR)
63 (LR)
17 (RR)

& I have the 'Source' settings turned up slightly from zero for the HU, midway between 0 & max for iPod/A2DP, & almost to max for Nav
good post J,

just to clarify one detail:
So far everybody I've had check the auto antenna function has found it already set on auto....so I don't think that it's going to be an issue and I don't think that people need to check it before they do their installs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #576
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Go here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187

First post in that whole thread is all the information you want to know about it's hardware. Pretty much audiophile quality stuff in it.
Thanks! Don't know how I missed that. My fault for skimming.

I'm thinking of pulling out an Alpine 117 and replacing with the N6 for navigation and BT. But I'm hesitant because of losing the sound features on the Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #577
fvermeulen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Problem with Dynavin N6

Hi, i hope someone can help me. i bought the dynavin n6 for my 2006 BMW E90 330d. installation was quick. the problem is i don't hear anything when using the PDC and the voltage and oil temp under OBC is wrong and doesnt update. the steering wheels controlls work, speakers work, GPS works, water temp and outside temp works. fuel stats work... only thing that doesnt work is no sound when using PDC, voltage shows 60Volt which is wrong and oil temp shows like 280 degrees C. i have unplugged and replugged everything and dynavin can't help me. any tips what i can try? is there a possibility that my modules in my car needs updateting? . very happy with the radio thus far, just needs the last 3 things fixed
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #578
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvermeulen View Post
Hi, i hope someone can help me. i bought the dynavin n6 for my 2006 BMW E90 330d. installation was quick. the problem is i don't hear anything when using the PDC and the voltage and oil temp under OBC is wrong and doesnt update. the steering wheels controlls work, speakers work, GPS works, water temp and outside temp works. fuel stats work... only thing that doesnt work is no sound when using PDC, voltage shows 60Volt which is wrong and oil temp shows like 280 degrees C. i have unplugged and replugged everything and dynavin can't help me. any tips what i can try? is there a possibility that my modules in my car needs updateting? . very happy with the radio thus far, just needs the last 3 things fixed
As far as PDC goes - have you:
  • Checked the box for PDC Sound
  • In Settings there is a section where you can select PDC Only, Rear Cam Only, or PDC & Cam - choose the correct one for you
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #579
fvermeulen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
As far as PDC goes - have you:
  • Checked the box for PDC Sound
  • In Settings there is a section where you can select PDC Only, Rear Cam Only, or PDC & Cam - choose the correct one for you
hi, yes the box is ticked... ticked or not makes no difference
i have set to PDC only. the other options makes no difference
still no sound
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #580
jeffb335
Rep

fvermeulen, you have the wrong canbus box OR its got the wrong programming on it OR its damaged in some way..... contact your dealer to swap it out for you.

In the future just post your question in one thread....posting it multiple places can be confusing to future readers of these threads.

Last edited by jeffb335; 09-26-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #581
prbaxter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'd also say dodgy canbus interface.

Also check the pdc volume is not set to minimum.

But yes probably a faulty box.

I'd check the connection is seated correctly, no bent pins, etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #582
throat_puncher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi e92 fbo

Hey is there any sale event going on for the dynavin, I. Considering buyin one soon but still undecided
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:04 AM   #583
mrjcover
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
I see you have a Flush Mount USB Extension! Where Can It Be Mounted? Do you actually have any install pics?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #584
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by throat_puncher View Post
Hey is there any sale event going on for the dynavin, I. Considering buyin one soon but still undecided
Nope, just the ongoing forum discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #585
TheGovernor
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A3

Hi all, newbie poster here from the UK I found this thread after much Googling, I actually drive an Audi A3 but have recently fitted an N6, this seemed like a really lively thread so hope nobody minds me crashing.

Full disclosure, I hope to be back in a 3 series sometime in the next couple of years, funds allowing

MY N6 is fine, fit was relatively straightforward once I got over the fear of pulling the old HU out, taking the glovebox out etc etc.

I do have a few questions that you might be able to help me with though.

Is there any possibility of having two devices connect to the HU at a time via Bluetooth, I've noticed the AD2P connection is better via an Apple device than my Samsung S6, I often get very short pauses in audio via the Samsung, but the iphone seems rock solid.

Any visibility on a Spotify app/compatibility? When I connect an iphone it reads out all my iTunes music and mixes them in track by track with Spotify, but I can't see my Spotify playlists, which would be a really handy feature.

I've also noticed that the volume varies on some sources, I have an impression it seems to be when connected via Bluetooth, I'd almost say it's speed related, but I'd have though this feature would be in the HU rather than somewhere else in the cars code?

Finally for now, I know you can customise the shortcuts in the centre of the home screen, but I'd quite like to move the Nav button as I rarely use it, but that doesn't seem to be possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #586
jeffb335
Rep

You are probably better off posting in the current thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187

We left this one quite a while ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #587
TheGovernor
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A3

Thanks Jeff, apologies I didn't spot this was an old thread
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #588
TheUnscented
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

MP3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Worse yet. I have years and years of MP3's that I have to make a decision on whether or not I want to keep them, or redownload them into a better listening format. Back in the day (someone already alluded to this earlier in the thread) I ripped all my CD's into MP3's at like 192kbps and maybe some even lower. These days, now that I have the hard drive space, I'd ideally want 320kbps but I long since sold off some of those old CD's...
If you want to re-rip all your old CDs and you don't have them any more, go to Murfie.com, set up an account, buy th eCDs you desire, have them downloaded to your preferred format and compression, wait 30 days and resell them in your Mrfie store. Murfie takes 30% of your sale price.

the only downside is that, of course after you sell the CDs you are supposed to delete the music you've downloaded.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #589
expl0de
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d and e92 320i

Hi all, 1 year after purchase and the problems started
I noticed that my volume control knob is not working, nor the other knob that changes the songs when rotated. If I press the knobs they work fine, also volume is adjustable via steering wheel. Is that a known problem? Restart and new firmware doesnt help.
Appreciate 0