E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Pics of cut stock bumpers (for quad tips)?

11-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
jbcrash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Pics of cut stock bumpers (for quad tips)?

I have a Bastuck quad exhaust being shipped to me next week. I'm wondering how many of you guys out there are running quad tips with just your cut stock bumpers? It seems like it'd be very hard to cut the stock exhaust openings to fit quad tips and make it look like a factory job. Pictures would be greatly appreciated! Also, let me know if you've got an tips on the actual cutting process...I plan on using a dremel tool with plastic cut-off wheel.

I know my best option is to just order the Bastuck rear valence, but I'd like to save the $500-600 it would cost for the valence and to get it painted.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I was thinking about cutting my bumper... then i decided I'm just gonna wait and get the m-tech rear bumper with a quad diffuser for quads. In the end nothing looks anywhere near as nice as this.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Tschuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcrash View Post
I know my best option is to just order the Bastuck rear valence, but I'd like to save the $500-600 it would cost for the valence and to get it painted.

Good luck getting it done right for that price. A new valence is almost $500 alone.

Don't forget in your accounting that the stock bumper cover is worth a few hundred bucks and easily sold.

-Bill
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=quad+tips

here is the method that i came up with after i did this mod, USE THE BLADE KNIFE, DO NOT USE THE DREMEL

1. get some type of thin iron/lead wire and wrap around the end of the tips to get the shape(once you have the tips in hand), this way the cut will comes out looking perfect

2. trace that shape on your bumper at where you want to cut, i cut mine on the side toward the middle

3. cut from the underneath and work your way up to the marked lines

good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post

here is the method that i came up with after i did this mod, USE THE BLADE KNIFE, DO NOT USE THE DREMEL

1. get some type of thin iron/lead wire and wrap around the end of the tips to get the shape(once you have the tips in hand), this way the cut will comes out looking perfect

2. trace that shape on your bumper at where you want to cut, i cut mine on the side toward the middle

good luck

Butchery at it best!!!!

LOL...joking! Please post some pics with your DIY!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i didnt take any pic while doing it, just the pics after everything was done in the other thread, the dremel could easily mess up the paint around the cut and not very easy to control, i taped up around the cut area and started using the dremel but didnt think it was the proper way to do it unless you want to do some touch up
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
good luck
Looks familiar. Here ya go with and w/out the quad diffuser.
With the Hamann Style CF Diffuser from "cyba". This is before I replaced the rear bumper cover(notice the boo-boo on the right corner 1st & 2nd pic)

W/out Valance. This is the New bumper cover I trimmed for the quads before painting, so all the edges look finished. I prefer this clean look myself.

A few more...

SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...

Last edited by Rugs; 11-07-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 02:01 AM   #8
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

hey rugs, did you buy a new bumper? I recall you had cut yours in order to get the diffuser to fit, looks great!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i just posted steps in the DIY section, hope it will help out some of you
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
hey rugs, did you buy a new bumper? I recall you had cut yours in order to get the diffuser to fit, looks great!!
Thanks. Yea my original one had a dent in it from a driveway mishap. Thought I'd try the clean look on the new bumper cover since I can always trim it latter for the diffuser...
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
emjei
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW M3 Coupe

I wonder how much a shop would actually charge to cut them and paint............its got to be less than buying a MTECH bumper
Appreciate 0