E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 320d rough startup

12-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
LUKESTRONG05
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320

Exclamation E91 320d rough startup

Hey all, first post here!

Picked up a cheap E91 2007 320d earlier this summer as a cheap cruiser to and from uni/home, and as a bit of a project to keep me busy when it inevitably breaks😂fairly high mileage, just clicked into 174k, usual paint scuffs for a 14yr old car, slight rip in seat, but not a bad find at all!

It's got a slight issue on startup, mainly cold starts.

So on first startup any day (especially cold starts at the moment), the idle is very rough, the car vibrates quite a bit and the idle revs fluctuate a bit. I leave it while for glow plugs to warm, and if I idle the car on first startup a little higher, nearer 1000-1100, the roughness mostly goes away but it feels very bitty and jittery.

The weird thing is, it won't do that again at all during the day. It only happens when its been sat, say overnight. I'll get in from work maybe midnight, and then 7/8am the next day, go to start its rough. But then 5pm startup, no rough idle and gritty startup at all.

Anyone any idea what this could be? Or what might reduce this roughness?

Jobs that need to be done are clutch and DMF (makes a slight noise on pressing pedal in/out, issue noted, to be fixed soon but shouldn't cause this issue...), and a slight oil leak somewhere too. Doubt these two issues should cause the rough 1st startup though...
I've been reading and watching videos on people replacing glow plugs/relay/module. Would this be a fix?

Any help is great!
Thanks!

Last edited by LUKESTRONG05; 12-01-2021 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0