E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Need help with MAP issue

02-20-2021, 01:31 AM   #1
stillbored
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Angry Need help with MAP issue

Hey guys, newer to the forums. Got myself a 2012 335I in Vermillion Red Metallic. 1 owner 47k miles. Just started modding it and fell in love with my Nazi Mustang!

I have the N55 engine. I recently got a persistent code 281A. "Absolute Pressure Sensor, Intake Pipe, Electrical Short Circuit To Battery Positive"

Tried erasing it with my Snap-On Solus tool, came right back. So it would seem there is a short or connection issue? Took the pigtail off, using a voltmeter (car running), I pinned the harness. I didn't have any voltage from any of the pins from the MAP harness. I also do not know the pin out diagram for the MAP pigtail.

Question is; is there any fuses I should look for that may be inline with the MAP sensor (seems unlikely), should I just trace/ohm load the harness for breaks, and does anyone have a diagram by chance?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbored View Post
Hey guys, newer to the forums. Got myself a 2012 335I in Vermillion Red Metallic. 1 owner 47k miles. Just started modding it and fell in love with my Nazi Mustang!

I have the N55 engine. I recently got a persistent code 281A. "Absolute Pressure Sensor, Intake Pipe, Electrical Short Circuit To Battery Positive"

Tried erasing it with my Snap-On Solus tool, came right back. So it would seem there is a short or connection issue? Took the pigtail off, using a voltmeter (car running), I pinned the harness. I didn't have any voltage from any of the pins from the MAP harness. I also do not know the pin out diagram for the MAP pigtail.

Question is; is there any fuses I should look for that may be inline with the MAP sensor (seems unlikely), should I just trace/ohm load the harness for breaks, and does anyone have a diagram by chance?

Thank you!
Hey there, hope you are doing fine! I don't have a great answer for you but I will try offering you as much information as I can.

First of, there are 2 types ot TMAP sensors for our cars. They both have 4 pins but their pin orders are reversed in respect to another. These different TMAP sensors are referred to as the TMAP sensor that has Harness A or Harness B. If you look into your TMAP housing where the connector goes, you should see the numbers 1 2 3 4 below the pins.

I will list the roles and the pins for Harness A and then Harness B respectively with this format:

Role: [Harness A PIN] [Harness B PIN]

Voltage Output: [4] [1]
Voltage Input (+5V): [3] [2]
Temperature Signal: [2] [3]
Ground: [1] [4]

You can identify if you have a harness A or B by looking at you TMAP sensor inside the housing where the pins are. You have a Harness A Type of TMAP sensor if there is a plastic extruded notch BELOW the pin labelled 1. You have a Harness B Type of TMAP sensor if you have a plastic extruded notch ABOVE the pin labelled 4. The plastic extruded notch I believe is intended to identify the ground pin.

This link provides a Harness B TMAP sensor where you can view a clear image where the pins are identified and the extruded plastic notch is very noticeable.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-13627599042
      02-26-2021, 01:25 AM   #3
stillbored
Rep

Ah, thank you kindly sir. I am referring to my MAP and not my TMAP. However, I did diligently read your post over and appreciate your time!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah, thank you kindly sir. I am referring to my MAP and not my TMAP. However, I did diligently read your post over and appreciate your time!
Both of the "MAP" sensors on your cars are actually TMAPs. Whether you are talking a about the sensor in your charge pipe or the one on the intake manifold, they are completly interchangeable and can record temperature too which is the "T" added to the "MAP".
      02-27-2021, 02:00 AM   #5
stillbored
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Both of the "MAP" sensors on your cars are actually TMAPs. Whether you are talking a about the sensor in your charge pipe or the one on the intake manifold, they are completly interchangeable and can record temperature too which is the "T" added to the "MAP".
No shit. That’s very cool to know. Thank you for educating me on that man. And that other post, A1. This is the kind of help I wanted and not going to lie, surprised I got it with that much solid info. Cheers! Will report back with more diag info in the next few days
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 02:34 AM   #6
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No shit. That’s very cool to know. Thank you for educating me on that man. And that other post, A1. This is the kind of help I wanted and not going to lie, surprised I got it with that much solid info. Cheers! Will report back with more diag info in the next few days
No problem! Best of luck, hope you will be able to find some solution!