E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > is Meguiars REALLY THE BEST IN "everything" ?

06-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
GiovanniE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 90 335"IS" & X5 3.0

Question is Meguiars REALLY THE BEST IN "everything" ?

I was reading most of the forms and from everything I was reading I feel like all these brands that I have to order online are the best but I dont know, just kind of impatient on waiting on the delievery to get to its destination..

Just got a new car, still havent washed it, clean it but havent done a major cleaning, its not dirt at all because i have the car cover. But I really wana buy some products that i could get from the store, auto zone and other car stores? but im wondering what products should i buy to clean my car, would "meguiars" ?? Be a good one that i could just buy?

Another thing what should i use to whipe it down, a regular towel or a microfiber everything, towel, wipe down, drying ?? like enlighten me guys/gals.
.. OH YEA.. How and the hell do you clean a car cover would it be through a washing machine? hoes it down? dry cleaners? let me know..

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

SEARCH.....

or....just read the sticky'ed posts

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

you'll be busy reading this for a hhhhhwile.
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Megs consumer line is ok OTC stuff, I like Duragloss better for some things and you can get those at Napa and Carquest stores. They also carry some of the Surf City Garage products which are ok OTC items as well. Find the names of some of stuff and search the internet for reviews. I use DG 901 as a maintenance wash and Aqua Wax (951) as a spray wax and drying aide. Surf Cities blue colored car wash is nice and they used to have a pink QD that was rumored to be rebadged Finish Kare stuff which is an outstanding QD.

Towels only MF towels and clean ones properly cared for. You'll introduce enough defects just from normal use so why add to by using some crappy towels. PakShak is a good online site for towels sometimes, when there's sales like right now on DI can't beat those prices. Waffle Weave to dry, plush MF to buff off QD's and such and multipurpose ones for removing waxes and polishes 2/4/8 in quantity repsectively IMO.

Cover wash it in the washing machine, that's what I do to mine and dry on low or air only. Don't wash it very often though, maybe 5 times in 10 years and only because a squadron of sea gulls strafed the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Megs Gold Class wash is better than most OTC stuff (Mothers Cali gold comes second).

Also Megs clay bar systems are nice. Recently they replaced the useless cleaner wax sample with a tiny bottle of spray wax and added more clay to their clay bars. Now it matches Mothers, but Mothers doesn't have the spray wax. Cant beat the value

Also Megs grit guards are finished better than the original ones.

Those are the only three things from Megs I buy/have.

Their "leather cleaner/conditioner" is basically grease in a spray bottle, stay away
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Some Meguiar's OTC stuff is acceptable. I like some of their professional line of products as well. Do I only use Meguiar's? No. Do I only use any specific brand? No. I try to pick the best of each.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

I like to use Meguiars and most of my stuff is from them. They have multiple different lines, OTC, professional, Detailer and so on. If you are looking into getting a machine to really get into paint care, Meguiars new microfiber D/A system cant be beat for what it does.

You can get started by looking into many of the websites for product.

autodetailingsolutions.com
autogeek.com
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
pitt03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Pakshak is awesome...they are down the road from my place and get most of my business. Their towels are top of the line.

I used to use meguiars stuff but after experimenting with products over the years eventually settled on Swissvax.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

overall best, NOPE!

REally good products, YEP!
Appreciate 0