E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW 318D E91 LCI - Crank no start

12-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #1
tylerjcgreen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 318D E91

BMW 318D E91 LCI - Crank no start

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, coming cap in hand for some advice.

Motor is a 10 plate E91 318D.

I’ve searched to the best of my abilities on this forum/google, but can’t find the same mix of issues that haven’t been fixed by things I’ve already tried.

I’ll preface this post by saying I’m about as unknowledgable about cars as you can get, but love giving things a go myself, so excuse my stupidity/ignorance.

Not sure if the first part of this post is necessary, but including for good measure.

Around a month ago, the Mrs sailed my wagon through what can only be described as a lake. Engine conked out and had to be recovered home.

After replacing the soaked air filter, jumped the car and fried the FRM module. Sent this to be recoded, plugged everything back in and aside from the electric window and wing mirrror controls being reversed ( assumed this was a coding issue)
The car was a little smoky on startup but fine.

Motor then proceeded to be fine for several weeks, like an idiot, out of laziness I ran the fuel right down, eventually managing to fill up on close to 0 miles.

Next time I started the motor up, it cranked nice and strong, but would not start, a host of warnings appeared on the dash. (Cruise control,DSC,DBC,FTM,Fuel Pump failure.)

Initially assumed fuel pump was kaput from running it so low on fuel, but further investigation online suggested it could be the blue fuel relay in the ECU.

Opened the ECU box up ( 2 dots of condensation in there but otherwise looked good), replaced blue relay, no difference whatsoever.

I’ve got a cheap OBD reader, attempted to connect to this before and after replacing the relay, this isn’t connecting (had previously worked in the past).

Then checked what I believe to be the fuel pump fuse, this looked good, but changed for good measure, no difference.

Because my OBD isn’t connecting and all of the faults on the dash, I’m assuming this is an electrical issue and fearing it may be the entire ECU that’s up the swanny.

Have checked the battery, this is swimming with water, from my research that is fairly common with these motors. Crank is nice and strong and couldn’t see any corroded
Wires ( although yet to remove battery)

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated, have some ideas on what to check next below, but any help on what is sensible or what I shouldn’t bother with would help hugely.

- have ordered a fuel pump control module - will try replacing this.
- My understanding is there are additional fuses that could need checking relating to ECU etc
- Remove battery and check for any corrosion/ broken wires around wiring loom around this area.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler
Appreciate 0