E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intermittent Afr issues

05-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Intermittent Afr issues

Hey guys

I am still having issues with my car randomly leaning right out then suddenly jump back up to normal while driving and when idling. I thought maybe my wide band o2's might have been bad so I changed those and still having same issues. I'm thinking my next plan if attack would have to be injectors. Would that be a good idea?

Also did log when this happens and it's my bank 1 that completely leans out and bank 2 is completely normal. Any thoughts?
procede v5 rev3, afe dual cone intake, full catless exhaust with muffler delete, hm style carbon fibre lip, 235/35/19,275/30/19 satin black linea corse818, H&R sport springs, Vishnu charge pipe with forged diverter valves, matte black kidneys, mtec superwhite angel eyes and fogs, bms cdv ER fmic, VRSF coated DP. Vishnu pwm meth kit
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

not sure why it would be random .first thought is o2 but since you changed them who knows injector is possible .
      05-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmaster666 View Post
Hey guys

I am still having issues with my car randomly leaning right out then suddenly jump back up to normal while driving and when idling. I thought maybe my wide band o2's might have been bad so I changed those and still having same issues. I'm thinking my next plan if attack would have to be injectors. Would that be a good idea?

Also did log when this happens and it's my bank 1 that completely leans out and bank 2 is completely normal. Any thoughts?
What do your fuel trims look like at the time? I had this happen with the Procede when adjusting the OL fueling. He fuel trim flat lined for a single bank under certain situations. Wen I reverted the map changes it went away.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

More likely procede related. Any codes?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
Quote:
Hey guys

What do your fuel trims look like at the time? I had this happen with the Procede when adjusting the OL fueling. He fuel trim flat lined for a single bank under certain situations. Wen I reverted the map changes it went away.
Fuel trim in bank 1 only flatlines.
procede v5 rev3, afe dual cone intake, full catless exhaust with muffler delete, hm style carbon fibre lip, 235/35/19,275/30/19 satin black linea corse818, H&R sport springs, Vishnu charge pipe with forged diverter valves, matte black kidneys, mtec superwhite angel eyes and fogs, bms cdv ER fmic, VRSF coated DP. Vishnu pwm meth kit
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
Quote:
Hey guys

Which maps are you running?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Fuel trim in bank 1 only flatlines.
It is tune related. Revert to a prior map or reduce OL fueling some which I've found reduces these occurrences.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
If the problem is happening at idle and during cruise, it's either going to be injector or o2 sensor related. It's important to see what codes pop up as that will give you a good starting point for troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

When last was the intake valves cleaned and how many miles on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
More likely procede related. Any codes?
Procede isn't doing anything during idle or cruise so that may not be a good diagnosis. The only thing that the Procede can induce is when you running too high of an Open Loop fuel value which can, in some cars, make the fuel pressure signal voltage drop too low under boost (loggable as debug byte 4). When that happens, you will see a very rich AFR and inconsistent timing. But then again, this only applies under heavy load/boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep

Don't get any codes and I also just re uploaded the maps and firmware and still nothing has changed. I guess I prob look into Injectors
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

borrow another tune, rule that out. that would be cheaper than replacing parts that dont need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep

Been running procede for a while and never had these issues before. It happened again during a cruise to a business meeting and while it happens I get huge hesitation. I switched to map 0 ( stock map) while it was happening and still felt major hesitation. So I think I pretty much ruled out tune. Also took another log at idle and bank 1 Afr hits 18+ :1 and bank 2 is at 14ish:1 do its definetly something on my bank 1. My car is a 07 with 72xxx km on it and apparently injectors were done before I bought it which would have been at least 2 yrs ago. So I think injectors for bank 1 is next. Anyone know where to buy them? Or since I can't code myself taking to dealer is best?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Been running procede for a while and never had these issues before. It happened again during a cruise to a business meeting and while it happens I get huge hesitation. I switched to map 0 ( stock map) while it was happening and still felt major hesitation. So I think I pretty much ruled out tune. Also took another log at idle and bank 1 Afr hits 18+ :1 and bank 2 is at 14ish:1 do its definetly something on my bank 1. My car is a 07 with 72xxx km on it and apparently injectors were done before I bought it which would have been at least 2 yrs ago. So I think injectors for bank 1 is next. Anyone know where to buy them? Or since I can't code myself taking to dealer is best?
You might have to replace all 6 injectors unless your already running the updated injectors. The old ones are not compatible with the new ones. Could get expensive
      05-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
We are working on nearly the same issue it seems. I bought O2 sensors but looks like that won't be the fix. My issue was slightly different in that it would lean out and then data from the O2 sensors would just cut out completely and then a second or two later it would reestablish a connection but the AFRs would be ~17+ at WOT.

I reported last time my injectors were replaced but that was not true. I still have the old injectors in the car but hopefully this week the dealer will replace them and I can let you know if that fixes the issue.

It's a very frustrating problem considering if basically keeps you from pushing the car whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang
Quote:
We are working on nearly the same issue it seems. I bought O2 sensors but looks like that won't be the fix. My issue was slightly different in that it would lean out and then data from the O2 sensors would just cut out completely and then a second or two later it would reestablish a connection but the AFRs would be ~17+ at WOT.

I reported last time my injectors were replaced but that was not true. I still have the old injectors in the car but hopefully this week the dealer will replace them and I can let you know if that fixes the issue.

It's a very frustrating problem considering if basically keeps you from pushing the car whatsoever.
Totally agree. Seems like same issue. Keep me updated for sure

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

I had similar issues with my procede. wacky afr's under idle/cruise. replaced injectors, o2 sensors, cleaned valves, reset adaptations, etc. Had a ton of misfires on stage 3/94 oct+meth, some misfires running stage 2, and under stage 1 it'd run mostly properly.

JB4 fixed it. No CEL, no weirdness, none of that crap. Put foot down and car goes every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
borrow another tune, rule that out. that would be cheaper than replacing parts that dont need replacing.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

IDK why everyone is quick to blame the tune with the OP has had the tune for quite a long time and the problem happened recently. It's clearly a hardware issue on the vehicle and not the tune. Especially if it happens when the tune is out or on stock map.

The first rule is to check for codes.

If no codes are found, send logs to your tuner of the event.

If the problem persist on a stock map then it's even more apparent it's not tuning related.

I wish the hater camps would provide more accurate insight instead of just blasting a tune every time.

There is proper procedure for diagnosing a problem and it doesn't need to be buy a new tune or buy more parts right out of the gate.

Between codes and logging you can solve 95% of problems and at that point one or the other will tell you what needs to be fixed.

FYI, screen shot logs are not very valuable. They dont show the whole picture. Proper data log reading requires all of the logging sensors and only a CSV will show that.
In the future, people should post their CSV log files to the tuner and if need be here. (Although the majority of people here won't know what to look for but there are some).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
IDK why everyone is quick to blame the tune with the OP has had the tune for quite a long time and the problem happened recently. It's clearly a hardware issue on the vehicle and not the tune. Especially if it happens when the tune is out or on stock map.

If the problem persist on a stock map then it's even more apparent it's not tuning related.

I wish the hater camps would provide more accurate insight instead of just blasting a tune every time.

There is proper procedure for diagnosing a problem and it doesn't need to be buy a new tune or buy more parts right out of the gate.

Between codes and logging you can solve 95% of problems and at that point one or the other will tell you what needs to be fixed.

FYI, screen shot logs are not very valuable. They dont show the whole picture. Proper data log reading requires all of the logging sensors and only a CSV will show that.
In the future, people should post their CSV log files to the tuner and if need be here. (Although the majority of people here won't know what to look for but there are some).
unless of course, the piggyback itself is failing.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

is not about "hater camp"... is just the easiest way to rule out something.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Went back and looked at my data logs, the data is actually there for the AFRs, just the graphing program hacked it out to make pretty graphs since they spike up pretty high making a graphed datalog look like crap.

My AFRs jump up to the mid 20's during WOT....

Last edited by acdHQK713K; 05-29-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0