E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > No Start after Significant Work, Help Needed

07-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

No Start after Significant Work, Help Needed

Hey y'all...

So a few weeks back, I hit a deer - figured I'd try to look at the bright side and use this as an opportunity to do some refreshing/updates. Only cosmetic damage from crash, still ran fine before work began.

Car is an '06 330i

While I waited for hood/bumper/headlight to arrive, I pulled the injectors and sent them off for cleaning. I also installed MILVs and new spark plugs, along with a complete cooling system refresh.

After getting everything bolted back together yesterday, I attempted to start and found that the car will no longer fire up. Everything appears to be plugged in correctly. Ground straps are connected, battery is good and it cranks strong, starter doesn't appear to have any issue turning over the motor. I pulled the Cylinder 1 plug this morning and it smells like fuel, so I suspect the issue has to do with the 'spark' side of the equation, but I have no idea where to go from here.

I have a BavTech scanner, but currently no codes showing. I also have a multimeter, but I'm pretty weak in the 'electrical issues' area.

It's worth noting that before the crash I had an intermittent 2ACB code that would show up, but I'd previously read that this is commonly caused by the Daeos Vista Angel Eye Harness, which I do have - so I never worried about it. I did pull the K6300 relay this morning and bench tested, but it appears to be functional. I've read that the fuses that feed this relay could be a cause, but with newTIS down I haven't found a way to identify exactly which fuses I should check.

Any ideas?

Last edited by fravel; 07-27-2021 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

@gbalthrop, I've seen you reply in multiple no start threads, would appreciate any insight you might have.
      08-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Efthreeoh has gone through like 3 or 4 deers over his 400,xxx miles. And his car is still in better shape than 99% of the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
@gbalthrop, I've seen you reply in multiple no start threads, would appreciate any insight you might have.
Poor George. I said the same thing in my thread a week ago....
      08-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

There is a crash sensor in the front, make sure that’s plugged in and not damaged. It’s on the bumper. That’s the only sensor that’s in the front that may prevent startup. All other wiring is lights.and an ambient temp sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #5
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So, ended up taking it to a local indy. Somehow it got flooded, hence the no start. Indy ran some sort of 'clear flood' process involving holding down brake and accelerator while starting.

Not sure how that happened as the engine didn't even have a fuel rail attached to it until about 20 minutes before the first attempt to start, and it didn't fire on first try - but it's running now.
      09-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Keep on eye out for codes. Hopefully nothing else comes up. And as the starting process make sure you keep it in mind. Just press the gas pedal a quarter to halfway while starting if you're having trouble.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0