E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Electronic power steering

09-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Electronic power steering

Hi Guys

Anyone got any experience with EPS? I have an intermittent fault with mine, after a while the steering wheel and exclamation mark pops up and I loose the power steering. I can switch off and it will usually clear itself upon start up and I can carry on. Sometimes I just get the warning but the steering still works OK, sometimes I get the warning and the steering gets really heavy. However after leaving the car switched off for a while the fault dissapears. It only seems to occur after a good 30mins of driving.

There are no unusual noises when moving from full lock to full lock no grinding cluncking whirring etc.

I have the following fault codes that have popped up:

00D516 this frequently pops up
00D507 this also frequently pops up
00A54B this occasionally pops up

I have checked the earth for the power steering motor and it's fine. I tried to find any chaffing in the signal wires but could find nothing. Pulled the electrical plugs on the motor to see if they are clean, dry and corrosion free, which they are.

I'm a bit stumped to be honest, thought I would ask you guys before I give up and send it to the garage to be diagnosed.

It's got me stumped.

Mines the standard EPS not the variable one.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 318i

Interesting one. You could try deleting the adaptations. It might help with the final code you put.
The rest look like CAN communication issues. You had the during wheel off for any reason?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:54 AM   #3
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply, the steering wheel has never been off, I have been wondering whether it could be an issue with the steering angle sensor in the base of the steering wheel. But wherever I see reference to in on the net people also have abs faults showing up which I don't.

I could try deleting adaptions, I think my Carley can do this.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:49 AM   #4
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

I had another thought on my problem, whilst looking at the fault codes I had another code pop up at the same time for the electrical auxillary water pump (my car is diesel so does not have the elec main water pump as petrols do). If this has failed and shorted causing bad earth could this affect the communication to my power steering?

00A6D1 was the fault code

I know I'm clutching at straws but these cars are so sensitive with their electrics I thought it worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Bit of an update if anyone is interested, I have spoken to my friendly local garage who think it maybe something like a steering angle sensor causing the problem. I've booked the car in with them on Monday. Will post an update when they let me know what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Another update, my local friendly garage ended up changing the steering rack with a good second hand unit. £640 all in, including an alignment. Pain in the butt, but at least it's fixed now.
Appreciate 0