E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Oh Columbus - My car's gonna like you

02-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Oh Columbus - My car's gonna like you

So I'm in Columbus, OH for business and some househunting since we're moving here in a few months. First thing I notice are Wide open highways, Lonnng long on-ramps, sweeping offramps, and relatively new roads.

With the 270, 71 & 70 - How the hell can you not speed over here? And crap if everything is flat around this town, hardly a hill to be seen.

I think I saw one BMW all day, e93 335 mind you, but that was it. What's the import/mod scene in central Ohio looking like?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
nick 55
Late Braking
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, C55, E55, hmm..

Garage List
Dude, it's Ohio, what import scene?.....just kidding. Seriously, Ohio doesn't take kindly to speeders, so be careful out there, especially the interstates.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
So I'm in Columbus, OH for business and some househunting since we're moving here in a few months. First thing I notice are Wide open highways, Lonnng long on-ramps, sweeping offramps, and relatively new roads.

With the 270, 71 & 70 - How the hell can you not speed over here? And crap if everything is flat around this town, hardly a hill to be seen.

I think I saw one BMW all day, e93 335 mind you, but that was it. What's the import/mod scene in central Ohio looking like?
a bunch of honda ricers

Enjoy columbus. I stop by time to time.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

I miss Columbus. I was down there for my college days.

The roads are definitely flat and nice but due to the many college's expect a lot of police on the roads. Also add in being the state capital that you also will have plenty of State Troopers hiding out on top of the normal city police.

Might I suggest you look into Upper Arlington, Dublin, Worthington and Westerville as your cities of choice. I prefer northern Columbus to southern. Although my cousin lives in Grove City and likes it. If you have kids or plan to have kids that will be active in sports Dublin(Brady Quinn) and Upper Arlington are the better sport schools.

The car scene is actually very good. A lot of money around Columbus. Especially with Polaris, Easton and Tuttle Malls, some good shopping there. Check out www.columbusracing.com , city oriented car tuner website for all models. They have club sponsored track/strip days as well as area discounts to local vendors.

We'll have to plan an Ohio meet in the summer/fall to welcome you. I really think you'll enjoy Ohio. For whatever reason we always get a bad rap but the state is actually very nice and is not nearly as reflective of the statistics that can be found on the state.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Cool - thanks for the advice. We were perusing around the northern suburbs of Columbus the last few days, mostly Dublin, Powell, Westerville, New Albany, Lewis Center and Worthington. We're not much downtown city folk so the burbs is just fine for us and it looks like there are some decent neighborhoods up there.

Saw a few more e9x's on the road but nothing modded or close to being modded. I got a wiff of a bunch of state troopers running around the interstates after looking more aggressively for them - so ya i can see where it can be hard to get some good WOT pulls in.

So we have to hook up some all ohio meets this summer or bbQ's and some runs at the National Trail dragstrip. See ya then.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool - thanks for the advice. We were perusing around the northern suburbs of Columbus the last few days, mostly Dublin, Powell, Westerville, New Albany, Lewis Center and Worthington. We're not much downtown city folk so the burbs is just fine for us and it looks like there are some decent neighborhoods up there.

Saw a few more e9x's on the road but nothing modded or close to being modded. I got a wiff of a bunch of state troopers running around the interstates after looking more aggressively for them - so ya i can see where it can be hard to get some good WOT pulls in.

So we have to hook up some all ohio meets this summer or bbQ's and some runs at the National Trail dragstrip. See ya then.
Very cool. I'm sure the wifey would prefer the northern half of c-bus as well. Since all 3 of the good malls are up north.

You'll surely see a lot of BMW's down there once you become accustomed to the area. BMWNA actually has a financial division by Dublin that employs 300-400 people or so and nearly all of them drive BMW's as they get them dirt cheap. They aren't allowed to mod them though.

You'll also be able to get those WOT pulls on the highway in. There are a lot of cops but again once you know the area you'll figure out the safe places. Due to the overly high cement barriers with limited police cut through's they don't have many hiding spots so they'll hug the wall along bends and dips in the road. You'll figure it out. You'll also prolly get your doors waxed by some very large displacement turbo'd or s/c'd zo6, ws6. Also watch out for a 1000 HP white Supra. Believe me that c-bus car guys love their power.

Keep in touch and let us all know when you move in

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Highway Patrol loves LIDAR wayy too much. Be careful.

Local Cops around northern Ohio use K and Ka Band. If you don't have a good radar, It might be a good investment
Appreciate 0