E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery exploded in my trunk; Please read so this doesn't happen to your E9X.

12-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #397
Saiba
Rep
Drives: 135i, N55

How quickly should you register the new battery? Is it okay to drive around like that for a month?

I replaced the battery with the same specs. I don't have any OBD adapters / cables, which is why I am waiting for their arrival. Kinda wanna save those 50 bucks just for an easy registration that can be done with free apps.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #398
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
In my '07, I waited for years before registering the battery.
In the 2010 I had last year, I registered the battery about 3 months after another shop had swapped it.

I wouldn't worry too much, the registration isn't going to save or destroy the battery, it will just make it last longer.

It is *extremely* unlikely that the battery explosion this poster encountered is because he didn't register the battery, or because he used a non-OEM battery. It is much more likely that the battery he bought was defective.

Traditional lead-acid explosions don't happen because of charging too fast or too slow, they happen because the gases that come off of a charging battery contain hydrogen, and a spark plus hydrogen equals boom. My guess is that the battery was defective or drained significantly, and the little battery vent hose had come off the side of the battery or had come off the side of the battery well and it was just venting into the battery compartment.

What else is in the battery compartment? A bunch of relays.
What happens inside relays? Tiny sparks.

Last edited by vilord; 12-29-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #399
KClemente
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
In my '07, I waited about 3 years before registering the battery.
In the 2010 I had last year, I registered the battery about 3 months after another shop had swapped it.

I wouldn't worry too much, the registration isn't going to save or destroy the battery, it will just make it last longer.

It is *extremely* unlikely that the battery explosion this poster encountered is because he didn't register the battery, or because he used a non-OEM battery. It is much more likely that the battery he bought was defective.

Traditional lead-acid explosions don't happen because of charging too fast or too slow, they happen because the gases that come off of a charging battery contain hydrogen, and a spark plus hydrogen equals boom. My guess is that the battery was defective or drained significantly, and the little battery vent hose had come off the side of the battery or had come off the side of the battery well and it was just venting into the battery compartment.

What else is in the battery compartment? A bunch of relays.
What happens inside relays? Tiny sparks.
Depends. If your battery is insanely old, the car will command more amps and volts to charge the battery. Usually it does a good job recognizing charge and will prevent an overcharge. You can actually go into the IBS using inpa and see your overall battery status
      12-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #400
nunatrechip3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I 2009

Foxwell NT510 will not register new battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
Sorry for your misfortune, hopefully others can learn from it. There are a lot of threads here about " i changed my battery and did not register it, and it works fine". Unfortunately you got stung and learned first hand what can happen when a battery is not charged properly. Registering the battery is about telling the charger what kind of battery is installed (wet, AGM,etc), and what stage of life the battery is in so that overcharging does not occur.
I am getting an error message stating:
Battery could not be replaced.
Possible cause(s) of fault>
-No communication with IBS or engine electronics.
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change
My car died after work. I stopped by a store and came back out and it would not crank.
I purchased a lead battery from Walmart that matches the same specs as the original battery.
The car will not start even after replacing the battery so I am not sure if it is because it needs to be registered.
I have tried several times to register the new battery but cannot get past this error message.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #401
nunatrechip3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I 2009

I replaced my battery but can not get the Foxwell NT510 to register the new battery

I am getting an error message stating:
Battery could not be replaced.
Possible cause(s) of fault>
-No communication with IBS or engine electronics.
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change
My car died after work. I stopped by a store and came back out and it would not crank.
I purchased a lead battery from Walmart that matches the same specs as the original battery.
The car will not start even after replacing the battery so I am not sure if it is because it needs to be registered.
I have tried several times to register the new battery but cannot get past this error message.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #402
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Registration has nothing to do with whether or not it will start/crank with a new fully charged battery.

I would worry about that later. Your starter most likely died, they are known for cranking slower at first and then suddenly nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #403
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Although, if there is no communication with DME, that would also keep it from cranking. IBS is attached to the negative battery terminal, you can unplug it and the car will still start (my 07 had the IBS disconnected for 4 years)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #404
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
This happened for two reasons. The battery was obviously being overcharged by the computer and 2 because it wasn't able to release the built up pressure inside the battery through its vents likely because they were clogged.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #405
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post

The battery wont necessarily be "destroyed"

The terminal connectors have a pyrotechnic device that goes off

Either way youre stranded.

The Germans are still getting even with us for losing the war.
      01-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #406
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
The 'pyrotechnic device' in the terminal is triggered when the airbag goes off (I know, I was in an airbag-triggering wreck last month).

Are you implying that it will trigger the battery disconnect because you didn't register the battery??
      01-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #407
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
The battery wont necessarily be "destroyed"

The terminal connectors have a pyrotechnic device that goes off

Either way youre stranded.

The Germans are still getting even with us for losing the war.
You can remove enough plastic to physically make the connection after the pyro has blown. Body shops do this all the time
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:52 PM   #408
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

If the ibs is always measuring the batteries state of charge and SoH every few hours and updating its info, what does registering it do? If it sends charging rates based on the info it gets on charge and health state of battery, why does registering really matter, are there override functions that takeover because it thinks you have old battery? Seems silly.

Someone said the battery reg. was to document battery life @bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #409
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4maro View Post
If the ibs is always measuring the batteries state of charge and SoH every few hours and updating its info, what does registering it do? If it sends charging rates based on the info it gets on charge and health state of battery, why does registering really matter, are there override functions that takeover because it thinks you have old battery? Seems silly.

Someone said the battery reg. was to document battery life @bmw
I just posted the thread about this on my page but here ya go

answer has been found as to why the battery can explode if not registered.. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473364

Also helpful links
DIY - Register new battery https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315
K-Dcan cable for coding bmw 2000-2013
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...;product_id=16
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #410
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

OP's battery DID NOT EXPLODE!
He writes about that later on the thread. It was just BST was triggered, the pyro device at the positive terminal that disconnects in case of an accident.

OP should have changed the title of the thread.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #411
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFarelli View Post
I just posted the thread about this on my page but here ya go

answer has been found as to why the battery can explode if not registered.. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473364

Also helpful links
DIY - Register new battery https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315
K-Dcan cable for coding bmw 2000-2013
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16
The battery won't explode if not registered, though..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #412
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

So many threads on this subject 😴

Battery Registration/Programming....2 Different Procedures! https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473109
Appreciate 0