E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What's the Quietest UHP tire?

07-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

Arrow

Hello,

I know it may sound counter intuitive but I'm looking to find the quietest Ultra High Performance tire. (For summer use only, I have dedicated winter tires) My car is a daily driver, where 90% is composed of freeway driving, and 10% "canyon" carving.

Needless to say I'm calling on a tire that will be able to provide confident cornering support in times of savageness while maintaining its civility (quietness) on the daily. Good longevity is bonus but not a priority.

For context
I've previously used:
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (RFT)
  • Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 1
  • Yokohama Advan ADO8R
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sports
  • Continental DWS06 ExtremeContact
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (RFT) (19")

Potenza's
Were the loudest and by far the lousiest grip in wet/dry, I was very disappointed that BMW decided to equip their cars with this as OE equipment. But I digress and point the finger at the RFT factor...

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 1
Semi-quiet, OK grip on dry/wet, easy to reach the grip threshold on public roads. Good bang for the buck, classic case of "get what you pay for".

AD08R's
provided the best overall grip yet, yet fell short in the extreme wet condition performance, and quietness category. If I was lapping my daily this would be the tire hands down, then I'd also not care for road noise...lol

Pilot Super Sports:(PSS)
Excellent grip in wet/dry, extremely predictable tire. Quietest of the pack, and oddly seemed to perform better the more I wore them down. Lastly, surprisingly the most comfortable.

DWS06 ExtremeContact:
Softer sidewall so I was naturally a little disappointed in the hard cornering ability. (My balding PSS felt better) Comfortable, yet more road-noise than I would have expected from a tire of this category. Summary: felt like I was walking in shoes that are a 1/2 a size larger than they should be.

Disclaimer: I put the Conti's on just before selling the car, in the fall(colder temps) I was only able to run them for about 3K miles. Moreover it's All-season UHP, so a little different from the other.

Eagle F1's:
(OE tire, on a different car) marginal improvement over the Potenza's, yet another rock hard, loud RFT tire. Would not buy again.

Finally, (thanks for reading this far) after typing this out I realized I should simply get the new PSS AKA Pilot Sport 4S, (which is supposed to be better in all aspects over it's predecessor). Yet I feel that the PS4's are [COLOR="Red"]significantly[/COLOR] more expensive than all other tires in this category. My question: are they really worth my hard earned dollar? Or can my requirement of GRIP and QUIETNESS be found in an alternative tire?

Last edited by i128; 07-09-2020 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I've been running DWS's for the last 5 years or so and love them. Road noise hasn't ever been much of a thought for me with them. All things considered, they rank as my absolute favorite tire between grip, snow performance, rain performance, and comfort. I agree though, they are a little soft.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Conti DWS i have them for winter tires and the DW’s (summer tire not all season) for warm weather. Theyre both very quiet and ride great. Plenty of grip with a progressive breakaway
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
6Inarowmakesitgo!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I have put about 30,000 miles on my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and they are very quiet. One of my favorite tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Why Pilot SS rather than PS4S?

I replaced a worn set of SuperSports with PS4S, and they are superior in every way - including ride quality and sound level.

Would do again, unless Michelin releases PS5.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by i128 View Post

DWS06 ExtremeContact:
Softer sidewall so I was naturally a little disappointed in the hard cornering ability. (My balding PSS felt better) Comfortable, yet more road-noise than I would have expected from a tire of this category. Summary: felt like I was walking in shoes that are a 1/2 a size larger than they should be.

Disclaimer: I put the Conti's on just before selling the car, in the fall(colder temps) I was only able to run them for about 3K miles. Moreover it's All-season UHP, so a little different from the other.
This is a nice summary.

In my opinion DWS06 is very sloppy tire. The 1/2 shoe size metaphor is spot on. Feels like you are sliding and then bam - grip. Unpredictable. However, to me they were super quiet compared to other Michelin tires I have had. I think people who have not had other more direct tires tend to praise them as they don’t know better, or just get used to their sloppiness.

I think what you are seeking is Michelin AS3+. They are awesome in wet, dry , cold and hot. However, they don’t perform quite well in snow. Also, like I said they are a bit noisier than other tires (but bearable).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Inarowmakesitgo! View Post
I have put about 30,000 miles on my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and they are very quiet. One of my favorite tires.
I'm only 5,000 miles on mine and they are quiet and they hook up on dry pavement. Their traction in the rain is quite impressive as well. 235's in front and 275's in the back. Price is pretty damn good on these as well.
      07-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Check Consumer Reports, as I know they check for quietness/noise.

Also, if you give up runflats, the tires will be quieter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post

I replaced a worn set of SuperSports with PS4S, and they are superior in every way - including ride quality and sound level.

if not mistaken Michelin took away tread on the PS4S.

It's a dangerous game of imho cost cutting. One of those, "It's a performance tire buyers won't even notice they're used to them wearing out fast anyway."

Like a half gallon of orange juice is 51 oz. today (where's the other 13).

For the first time in my life, I got a warranty replacement on a tire, namely, Michelin Premier LTXs because my wife has a SUV.

They cut the tread to starting at 8.5/32. Great tire. All over the internet slammed. For us? As early as 20k dealers recommending replacement, and these are 60k tires!

They've since bumped up the treads to 10/32" so likely this will wear out closer to 52k per my calculations....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

dws06 are all season tires, with a insane treadwear. I was able to put around 80k km on it. but they are not uhp, but probably one of the best all season tire on the market performance wise.
freaking useful when you got a surprise spring snowfall.

On my summer car I have the indy500, and on a 1cm snow carpet, my quattro wont move. But good tires for the price. Can't tell if they are noisy, since I have a exhaust .
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I would say if cost be damned you can't go wrong with the PS4S, there is a reason they're the gold standard in the class. My buddy just removed his new A/S+ tires and went with the PS4S after he complained about a hardish ride and tire noise. Even though the PS4S are a performance upgrade he found them an improvement. I would also take a close look a the Conti extreme contact DW's, slightly better value than the PS4S but comparable performance in most metrics (they're actually better than the PS4S in the wet). After I burned through my last PSS I went with the value king Indy 500's. I like to think of them as 90% of what PSS are at 60% of the price. Overall dry grip is similar as have I tracked both tires and found no lap time differences. You for sure give up some of the other qualities to the PSS so this may not be for you if you have a focus on ride quality or noise. Being that I usually drive with my windows down or music going its hard to say how quiet they are vs. the PSS so my recommendation is purely based on the value proposition aspect. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I went from conti DW (summer) to indy 500 also. Had this set on for 3rd year now. I don't do a lot of highway anymore but am happy with these, would buy another set.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I went falken fk510.

they're exceptional for the money spent.
quieter than the conti dws that came off the car.

I haven't had them but a month, so I can't comment on longevity. The rears are already more worn than the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #14
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Inarowmakesitgo! View Post
+1

My favorite summer tire to date. Wet, dry, noise, top marks in all ftom me. I'm also an ENORMOUS DWS06 fan and have been running them on my stock wheels used in the winter for years. If your looking for a solid, low noise summer tire you'd be doing yourself a favor by at least checking them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #15
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post

+1, Michelin PS4S are superior to the SuperSports, they are somehow stickier and sportier yet they ride smoother and quieter than the super sport. Oh yeah and the rain handling is also improved. Both of my cars wear the PS4S now, not to mention they always seem to outlast their mileage warranty for me for both rears and front and I drive it like it stole it especially in the turns.
Appreciate 0