E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint correcting car can I use ceramic spray wax as final step?

05-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Paint correcting car can I use ceramic spray wax as final step?

Hey everyone,

I’m going to try my hand at paint correcting my car. The plan is to wash, clay, paint correct using chemical guys one step VSS, IPA wipe down. The question I have is can I use something like Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray was as the final step ? Or I’m open to other suggestions

Thanks!

Last edited by Rube; 05-12-2020 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Hey everyone,

I’m going to try my hand at paint correcting my car. The plan is to wash, clay, paint correct using chemical guys one step VSS, IPA wipe down. The question I have is can I use something like Turtle was hybrid ceramic spray was as the final step ? Or I’m open to other suggestions

Thanks!
You can use anything you would like after the process, but the Turtle wax product comes with great reviews. I think ceramic sprays are a great way to go right now as long they've proven to perform properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
PR1MOWAGEN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Touring

What machine are you using?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1MOWAGEN View Post
What machine are you using?
Harbor freight dual action polisher
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
PR1MOWAGEN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Touring

Quote:
Harbor freight dual action polisher
Be mindful of the pads and speed of the unit. Most correcting is done at the highest setting 6. Polishing is typically speed 4-5. This can also depend on the liquids you’re using and how much correction you’re actually doing. Watch the Chemical Guys videos since you’re using their products. They have good all around tutorials. Don’t spend too much time on one spot.

BMW’s have lots of creases and body lines, so higher speeds will risk taking too much clear coat off in these areas. The HF polisher is 680 watts and it looks like it comes with a blue polishing pad. so it’s not terribly powerful. You should be ok.

Be sure to blow out your pad after each section if you have compressed air. It makes a world of difference. Pads are reusable, so you can clean them with hot water and light dish soap at the very end, when your done. Rinse well.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1MOWAGEN View Post
Be mindful of the pads and speed of the unit. Most correcting is done at the highest setting 6. Polishing is typically speed 4-5. This can also depend on the liquids you’re using and how much correction you’re actually doing. Watch the Chemical Guys videos since you’re using their products. They have good all around tutorials. Don’t spend too much time on one spot.

BMW’s have lots of creases and body lines, so higher speeds will risk taking too much clear coat off in these areas. The HF polisher is 680 watts and it looks like it comes with a blue polishing pad. so it’s not terribly powerful. You should be ok.

Be sure to blow out your pad after each section if you have compressed air. It makes a world of difference. Pads are reusable, so you can clean them with hot water and light dish soap at the very end, when your done. Rinse well.
Thanks for the tips. I was going to start on the trunk lid as it’s a nice flat piece and get some experience with the DA polisher.
Can I do multiple body panels with the same pad, I don’t have access to compressed air. I have the orange chemical guys hex logic pad to use with their vss one step.
Also should I avoid any of the body creases for fear of taking off clear coat? I thought the DA was safe to do that with.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I just did this with a DA polisher. You can do the whole car with the same pad. The reason to blow off the pad is that product will build up and eventually start spraying off, coating everything around you. Ask me how I know.

If you have a nylon brush, I have seen that suggested, brushing off excess product after each section. I did not have one, but will try using that next time.
      05-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan1972 View Post
I just did this with a DA polisher. You can do the whole car with the same pad. The reason to blow off the pad is that product will build up and eventually start spraying off, coating everything around you. Ask me how I know.

If you have a nylon brush, I have seen that suggested, brushing off excess product after each section. I did not have one, but will try using that next time.
Thanks!
Which product did you use to correct the paint and also the final protectant ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I used Griot's 3-1 liquid wax with one of their Orange correcting pads. It turned out OK, I was able to remove a lot of the scratches but some of the bigger ones were still visible, much harder to see though. I think I'll do it again this Fall and try a more aggressive setting. The paint isn't bad though, so I don't want to get too aggressive. I did not put anything on top of that, although I'm thinking about doing a sealant this weekend.
      06-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
cameronvernem@hotmail.com
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335i

Agreed, as others have said, you can apply whatever last step you like however these days your best off going to a ceramic coat if you are taking the trouble to correct the paint
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:38 AM   #11
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:

Yes you can blow out the pad but ideally you would want to use multiple pads especially if you are using compound, its not just product that's going to clog the pad its dirt and clear coat as well, the more you cut the faster the buildup, the more buildup on you pad the less "work" it will do on the paint....changing pads will ensure consistent results throughout your paint. General rule of thumb is the more cutting you are doing the more pads you will need.
      06-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
This was after ceramic wax. Turned out really nice.
Attached Images

06-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
I used Griot's 3-1 liquid wax with one of their Orange correcting pads. It turned out OK, I was able to remove a lot of the scratches but some of the bigger ones were still visible, much harder to see though. I think I'll do it again this Fall and try a more aggressive setting. The paint isn't bad though, so I don't want to get too aggressive. I did not put anything on top of that, although I'm thinking about doing a sealant this weekend.
You're using a fairly aggressive pad but with more of a finishing product. Try a a swirl remover or a product that has a little more corrective abilities.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #14
BettyRubble
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E90

I love ceramic coating and Turtle is especially valid but I always make sure to use a polishing primer which I apply directly to the paint before the ceramic coating. First of all, it strengthens the bonding and durability of the coating applied to it, but also improves the depth of color of the paint and increases its gloss. But since I don't think that the ceramic coating itself is a guarantee of protection of the vehicle paint, I then use ceramic coating.
      07-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #15
Marie_Nelson
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volkswagen Polo, BMW X3

ArmorAll Wash & Wax Car Washing Liquid

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I’m going to try my hand at paint correcting my car. The plan is to wash, clay, paint correct using chemical guys one step VSS, IPA wipe down. The question I have is can I use something like Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray was as the final step ? Or I’m open to other suggestions

Thanks!
My husband usually uses ArmorAll. There is no big difference. And the price does not differ.
We were lucky 247 to find a great online store with affordable prices https://www.flipkart.com/armorall-wa...me6y4s4gyydqxd
who knows sites where you can order quality paint inexpensively?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #16
Joanthanthaniga
Rep
Drives: 328 Xi coupe

Quote:
This was after ceramic wax. Turned out really nice.

Have you used 9 h or 10 H coating. turtle or mothers ceramic coating usually disapper after 6 or 8 months. that too consider harsh winter in canada. I am wondering if anyone tried long lasting like 5 years coating...
Appreciate 0