Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Low tire pressure warning help

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
TheeE90
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI Sedan

Low tire pressure warning help

Ok so I purchased a f**ked 07 335xi and upon bringing it to the oil change center to get my AC checked.. one of the technicians there says "holy shit!, did you know your rear passenger tire is set to 70psi!!??? You're lucky it didn't blow!" So he sets all my tires to the proper psi and then halfway through my trip home the low tire warning light comes on, indicating that my rear passenger side tire is low. Wtf! I've reset the tpms system numerous times but the light keeps coming back.. anyone know what could be the problem here!??? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeE90 View Post
Ok so I purchased a f**ked 07 335xi and upon bringing it to the oil change center to get my AC checked.. one of the technicians there says "holy shit!, did you know your rear passenger tire is set to 70psi!!??? You're lucky it didn't blow!" So he sets all my tires to the proper psi and then halfway through my trip home the low tire warning light comes on, indicating that my rear passenger side tire is low. Wtf! I've reset the tpms system numerous times but the light keeps coming back.. anyone know what could be the problem here!??? Thanks in advance!
Did you actually check the pressure yourself? Its possible the dude had a faulty gauge or didnt know what he was doing
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
It's probably simpler and less tragic than you're thinking. Let the car cool down and then manually take the pressure readings of each tire and inflate it to the correct tire pressure. Then, once you're sure, reset the TPMS. I think you can still reset it through the stalk in the '07 models (I know LCI definitely can).

When you hit the reset, you have to make sure the pressure was correct. Then the TPMS will reset values based on that. If the former owner had it up anywhere near 70psi and had reset the TPMS, the default value would have been 70psi and anything 8-10psi (sorry forgot the default trigger value) less than that is going to trip it. So don't sweat til you check pressure and then reset -- you're probably fine.

EDIT: Reread and saw you did reset. Hopefully you don't have to replace the wheel well repeater or the control unit. Post above is also a valid point.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
TheeE90
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
It's probably simpler and less tragic than you're thinking. Let the car cool down and then manually take the pressure readings of each tire and inflate it to the correct tire pressure. Then, once you're sure, reset the TPMS. I think you can still reset it through the stalk in the '07 models (I know LCI definitely can).

When you hit the reset, you have to make sure the pressure was correct. Then the TPMS will reset values based on that. If the former owner had it up anywhere near 70psi and had reset the TPMS, the default value would have been 70psi and anything 8-10psi (sorry forgot the default trigger value) less than that is going to trip it. So don't sweat til you check pressure and then reset -- you're probably fine.

EDIT: Reread and saw you did reset. Hopefully you don't have to replace the wheel well repeater or the control unit. Post above is also a valid point.
Ok so I *fixed* it last night.. what I did was set all four tires to 2psi above the recommended pressure (recommended 33-front 36-rear) so 35-front 38-rear, then cleared the warning light with my scan tool, which made the indicator arrow pointing at my rear passenger tire go away as well.. (I'm pretty sure you can do this with inpa as well) then with all the tire warning lights gone I used the BC lever to scroll to the tire pressure symbol and pressed the BC button to reset the tpms (it will say "active" for two seconds then say "resetting") next the tire warning light pops back up (don't be alarmed) drove around the block and it disappeared!... I'm guessing that's how you reset the tire pressure values.. thanks for the input Rube and Bluewater! Much appreciated..
Appreciate 0