E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2011 e92 335i Stiff suspension advice

09-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
BattlexMonkee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

2011 e92 335i Stiff suspension advice

So I have a 2011 e92 335i coupe with a sport package and I love it. The only thing I don't love is how stiff the suspension is and how every time I run over a pothole or something similar it feels like the car and myself are going to explode. I was wondering if there were upgrade or fixes to help smooth the ride a little bit. I am planning to do a coil over upgrade. I'm also planning to replace my stock 19" wheels to 19x8.5 Fr and 19x9.5 rears. Would things like higher profile tires (if so, what's the preferred tire sizes?) or coil over upgrades help? Any advice would be great on this issue. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

You just hit upon why it's so rough. 19" wheels. You need more cush. Go to 18" wheels or even 17" and go to taller series tires. My car does have an extremely stiff suspension though but is after market coil overs. I got Ground Control setup. They ask you what spring stiffness that you want. After talking with them and asking for recommendation from them, I went 440 lb/in front and 550 lb/in rear. I need to dial out some of the damping to make it ride more cushy too.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
MikeP335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
You just hit upon why it's so rough. 19" wheels. You need more cush. Go to 18" wheels or even 17" and go to taller series tires. My car does have an extremely stiff suspension though but is after market coil overs. I got Ground Control setup. They ask you what spring stiffness that you want. After talking with them and asking for recommendation from them, I went 440 lb/in front and 550 lb/in rear. I need to dial out some of the damping to make it ride more cushy too.
Agree with the 19's being an issue. Also, is your suspension in good shape? You sure you aren't bottoming out on the bump stops if it is that bad? Maybe address the shocks first. Had this experience on my e92 and the coilovers installed by the PO were junk. Put in some quality parts and all good. I'm pretty sure I was hitting the bump stops with the cheap parts and the car being lowered.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
BattlexMonkee
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about going that route as well with 18" tires. But I'm also wondering if replacing my 19" tires with beefier tires is also an option. As far as coil overs go, I have spoke with some people at fortune auto and they gave me some recommended spring rates being that my car is a daily driver (don't remember the numbers off the top of my head).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
BattlexMonkee
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP335i View Post
Quote:
Agree with the 19's being an issue. Also, is your suspension in good shape? You sure you aren't bottoming out on the bump stops if it is that bad? Maybe address the shocks first. Had this experience on my e92 and the coilovers installed by the PO were junk. Put in some quality parts and all good. I'm pretty sure I was hitting the bump stops with the cheap parts and the car being lowered.
Suspension seems good actually. Haven't had any issues with bottoming out at all with the exception of hitting those deep potholes. I do the bounce and jounce test in my car every so often just to check if there's any weird noises and whatnot. Will replace my suspension once I move into my new home since my apartment is full of speed bumps and horribly steep entrances.
Appreciate 0