E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Found best place for hood vent. Data inside

08-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #45
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Keep in mind the one near the windshield is from the factory on the e46 m3. For the 335, turbos are on pass side and the DCI's pull from the drivers side, so any additional airflow will be a net win - especially on the heat soaked N54.
DCI's should be sealed and air should be drawn in from an area of hgih pressure (front fascia or cowl area). The only time open element DCI's will benefit from those vents is at idle... Once up to speed, hot air is going to flow OUT of those vents on the left/right. Cool air is not going to flow IN, lol. Only the very rear slots of those two side vents might start pulling some air pulled IN, but it will seriously conflict with the majority of air scavenging its way OUT and reduce the effectiveness (which is why I say they are a bit big).

The very base of the windshield (cowl area) is about the only area on the hood a vent will draw air IN. Unless of course you ram air in using a scoop that protrudes off the surface of the hood (like how an STI or EVO force feeds their top mount intercooler).

Last edited by bbnks2; 08-10-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #46
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
DCI's should be sealed and air should be drawn in from an area of hgih pressure (front fascia or cowl area). The only time open element DCI's will benefit from those vents is at idle... Once up to speed, hot air is going to flow OUT of those vents on the left/right. Cool air is not going to flow IN, lol. Only the very rear slots of those two side vents might start pulling some air pulled IN, but it will seriously conflict with the majority of air scavenging its way OUT and reduce the effectiveness (which is why I say they are a bit big).

The very base of the windshield (cowl area) is about the only area on the hood a vent will draw air IN. Unless of course you ram air in using a scoop that protrudes off the surface of the hood (like how an STI or EVO force feeds their top mount intercooler).
I'm sorry I should clarify. DCI's in general provide very little gain, it at all on an intercooled setup such as the N54. The rationale for hood vents in my situation is to have a place to vent hot air/heat soaked air. Of the three locations I mentioned, I would expect the drivers side vent to provide the smallest amount of net benefit as there is neither exhaust/turbos or radiator heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #47
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I vented my passenger fenderwell and logged intake temps. Here is the post, scroll down for the log results.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46025
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 2
bbnks21206.50
      07-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #48
335iguy17
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i e93

What is the picture with the green and red lines on the underside???
Appreciate 0