E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Radiator fan is never ON.

04-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Radiator fan is never ON.

Radiator fan is OFF. Engine temperature climbs up in traffic, obviously.
Radiator fan is off regardless whether AC is on or off...

Also, AC is not blowing cold air.

Is there a way to pinpoint the cause? 328i e90 2010.

P.S. forgot to mention - DME reports no error codes - no explicit ones, no shadow ones.

P.P.S. Fan fuse (glove box 40 amps #88) looks ok...

Last edited by accel; 04-12-2017 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Use a BMW scan tool to run the cooling fan test.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Use a BMW scan tool to run the cooling fan test.
Yes, I guess it's time for me to invest time in INPA learning.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ckecked voltage at the connector leading to the fan. Removed the fan and checked the voltage right before wires get sealed in the electric engine. Voltage is there at +, - and signal wire. Sometimes the fan kicks in,but at very lazy speed and no more that for a couple of rotations, then stops. Sometimes theres some short whining nois from he fan.

At this point I'm ordering a new fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
I ckecked voltage at the connector leading to the fan. Removed the fan and checked the voltage right before wires get sealed in the electric engine. Voltage is there at +, - and signal wire. Sometimes the fan kicks in,but at very lazy speed and no more that for a couple of rotations, then stops. Sometimes theres some short whining nois from he fan.

At this point I'm ordering a new fan.
You've posted on here before, being concerned and worrying about something that isnt even broken.

stop fucking with your car. its not throwing any codes so there is clearly nothing wrong, why are you messing around with it trying to fix shit thats not broken?

BMW's run hot. it is how they are programmed to run from the factory to keep emissions and fuel economy levels in check. use thicker oil and remove your plastic engine cover to maintain temps if you are concerned about that.

take a breather man. everything is fine with your car dont waste time and money fixing shit that is working fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Why does everyone in this thread and the other one seem to think there's nothing wrong with the car? The overheat warning /did/ come up. The OP reported that the temp was 107 afterwards, but it was hot enough to cause the overheat warning before that. And now the AC isn't working, and the fan doesn't turn on when it's supposed to. It doesn't /always/ throw codes when something is wrong.

OP, there are a couple things you can check before you order the fan, if you want, but it sounds like a new fan will fix it.

There's a relay in the DME box under the hood, and two fuses for the fan. However it sounds like the voltage is getting there, the fan just isn't turning on. The fan control modules are known to go bad on other models but I haven't heard about it much on the e90. You should have battery voltage at the red/blue wire and ground at the brown wire. The black/blue wire is the signal wire. It's difficult to test the signal wire, I believe the only way is with an oscilloscope. I hate to just throw parts at it without being completely sure, but it does sound like the fan controller is just bad..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17206.50
      05-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, after I received and replaced the fan the engine cooling system seems to work again pretty stable. Verified during a couple of weeks of driving.

AC is still not working, and auxiliary fan is not engaging when I turn the AC on. At this point I'm almost certain to set an appointment with dealership and have them diagnose and fix it whatevet the cost is... unless someone could recommend some good independent shop for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
sfbayarea335d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I'm having the same issue. Bump

Did you ever get an answer from the dealership? I'm having the same issue.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayarea335d View Post
Did you ever get an answer from the dealership? I'm having the same issue.

Thank you!
Got evaporator core replaced at dealer back then. That was the last drop to all other issues I had. I was so done with german (over) engineering...

On top of it I could feel the beginning of AC bad smell return.... SOLD IT! The car was on its third water-pump, second engine....

My next car has:
- accurate speedometer reading
- oil deep stick
- water temperature gauge
- mechanical water pump
- oil temperature gauge
- oli cooler
- mechanical limited slip differential
- MT with close ratio gears
- great aftermarket support
- radio that is not called "Professional" but is capable of playing music much much much better and without scary distortions.

... and more....

Big, big mistake was buying BMW and owning it beyond warranty. I should've leased it.

It has "Ultimate Driving Machine" on the sticker, but I feel like this was scam.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Got evaporator core replaced at dealer back then. That was the last drop to all other issues I had. I was so done with german (over) engineering...

On top of it I could feel the beginning of AC bad smell return.... SOLD IT! The car was on its third water-pump, second engine....

My next car has:
- oil deep stick
- mechanical water pump
- oil temperature gauge
- oli cooler
- radio that is not called "Professional" but is capable of playing music much much much better and without scary distortions.

... and more....

Big, big mistake was buying BMW and owning it beyond warranty. I should've leased it.

It has "Ultimate Driving Machine" on the sticker, but I feel like this was scam.

Lol, what are you driving now?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:

My next car has:
- oil deep stick
- mechanical water pump
- oil temperature gauge
- oli cooler

... and more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Lol, what are you driving now?
Probably a Honda....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote: