E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > TPMS Inactive- Which Software to Diagnose/ Reset

03-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

TPMS Inactive- Which Software to Diagnose/ Reset

Here is the background.

2011 328i, RWD. 39k miles (not a typo)

For like the past 8 months I would randomly get the ABS/ DSC . brake trifecta that people comment about. The car would sometimes cut power to the engine. The problem went away when I installed my winter set (stock 339 wheels) and stored my apex Arc-8s, square set up. 17", matching michelin tires.

About a month ago, I started getting TPMS inactive on the Dash.

The 339 wheels/ sensors are originals from a 2012 cabriolet. I figured the TPMS were dying and didn't make anything of it. There were a bunch of random nonsense codes.

I decided to Install my Apex Arc-8s a little early to rule out that I had a bad sensor on my winter wheels. This wheel set is 1 season old and has new sensors/ stems.

I drove around for a week and still had the TPMS inactive. A couple weeks ago I dug in the the rear wheel liner area and removed the TPMS antenna. I cracked open the antenna and there was some corrosion internally.

I drove around for a week with the Antenna disconnected. TPMS inactive as expected. I ordered a new antenna for $66 from by bmw parts guy. I think I matched the part number correctly, but there are like a million versions.

I also paid one of the good guys here $35 to re-install bmw software on my laptop. I had an old version from 2017 but figured it would make sense to just start "fresh".

I tried using INPA to see if I could reset the light but was not successful. I can go E90 - Chasis- Tire Pressure monitoring system and then get an error message. Nothing found in DSC module or whatever the correct term. I did notice that when I plugged the antenna into the connector the car "woke up".

I e-mailed the sponsor that installed the software asking if he knew whether INPA could clear my light or help diagnose the problem. No response after a few days.

I have a quote to code out TPMS light for $40 from the same sponsor. I can also order TPMS module for the car for $266 from my BMW parts guy. This second option seems a little extreme/ expensive. I don't need the TPMS light to tell me a tire is flat, but I like keeping the car in good shape.

Question for the Coding experts-- What software would let me reset the TPMS antenna or actually trouble shoot the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Here is the background.

2011 328i, RWD. 39k miles (not a typo)

For like the past 8 months I would randomly get the ABS/ DSC . brake trifecta that people comment about. The car would sometimes cut power to the engine. The problem went away when I installed my winter set (stock 339 wheels) and stored my apex Arc-8s, square set up. 17", matching michelin tires.

About a month ago, I started getting TPMS inactive on the Dash.

The 339 wheels/ sensors are originals from a 2012 cabriolet. I figured the TPMS were dying and didn't make anything of it. There were a bunch of random nonsense codes.

I decided to Install my Apex Arc-8s a little early to rule out that I had a bad sensor on my winter wheels. This wheel set is 1 season old and has new sensors/ stems.

I drove around for a week and still had the TPMS inactive. A couple weeks ago I dug in the the rear wheel liner area and removed the TPMS antenna. I cracked open the antenna and there was some corrosion internally.

I drove around for a week with the Antenna disconnected. TPMS inactive as expected. I ordered a new antenna for $66 from by bmw parts guy. I think I matched the part number correctly, but there are like a million versions.

I also paid one of the good guys here $35 to re-install bmw software on my laptop. I had an old version from 2017 but figured it would make sense to just start "fresh".

I tried using INPA to see if I could reset the light but was not successful. I can go E90 - Chasis- Tire Pressure monitoring system and then get an error message. Nothing found in DSC module or whatever the correct term. I did notice that when I plugged the antenna into the connector the car "woke up".

I e-mailed the sponsor that installed the software asking if he knew whether INPA could clear my light or help diagnose the problem. No response after a few days.

I have a quote to code out TPMS light for $40 from the same sponsor. I can also order TPMS module for the car for $266 from my BMW parts guy. This second option seems a little extreme/ expensive. I don't need the TPMS light to tell me a tire is flat, but I like keeping the car in good shape.

Question for the Coding experts-- What software would let me reset the TPMS antenna or actually trouble shoot the problem?
I have thread about this search the threads that I started in my profile. Use NCSExpert to reset the rdc module.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421569
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 1
arciga181728.50
      03-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post

I guess i confused TPMS (RDC?) Antenna and TPMS (RDC?) module. I will look at some videos on how to use NCS expert.

I am very new to all this. I appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No problem. Glad I could help!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
subito4u
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
No problem. Glad I could help!
2008, 328xi, located antenna (behind front right wheel, remove access panel) and module (in trunk, right side, remove molding then insulation, it's inside a plastic holder for electronics stuff).
In Inpa, I get errors 604E and 6057. Can this establish which part to replace?

Still in Inpa, when I choose Chassis/TPMS, it gives an error message: "Group file: D_RDC. IFH-0009: No response from control unit."

I would appreciate if you could help me identify the part to replace.
Appreciate 0