E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Budget friendly / Cheap CIC retrofit!!!

08-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #45
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtandre21 View Post
I am in the process of retrofitting cic and logic 7 to a non nav car. Do i just take the whole harness from one car to the other? Are the aftermarket navigations any better?
For L7 retrofit you can use a complete harness but you don't need it. Getting the front left and right speaker wires out of the dash is not easy. The passenger side wiring gets mixed up in the fusebox wiring. You really only need the L7 plug with rear door and center speaker wiring. The rest can be spliced together. With that said, since the rear deck and front seats are out for speaker replacement, you can easily use the new L7 wiring for those. Rear door, center and sub wiring all travel the same path under the drivers seat to the console.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #46
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
For L7 retrofit you can use a complete harness but you don't need it. Getting the front left and right speaker wires out of the dash is not easy. The passenger side wiring gets mixed up in the fusebox wiring. You really only need the L7 plug with rear door and center speaker wiring. The rest can be spliced together. With that said, since the rear deck and front seats are out for speaker replacement, you can easily use the new L7 wiring for those. Rear door, center and sub wiring all travel the same path under the drivers seat to the console.
i cannot agree with all these statemens because i've dissasembled few e9x harnesses and did some installs
audio harnes is separate from main harness
all audio wiring is going out from headunit down to the tunnel and then by the left side goind to door.
and passenger wiring coming out from the tunnel and crossing it between gearbox stick and dashboard and goes to passenger door near seat
      08-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #47
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
i cannot agree with all these statemens because i've dissasembled few e9x harnesses and did some installs
audio harnes is separate from main harness
all audio wiring is going out from headunit down to the tunnel and then by the left side goind to door.
and passenger wiring coming out from the tunnel and crossing it between gearbox stick and dashboard and goes to passenger door near seat
Just to clarify, my statements were in reference to removing L7 from a donor car and adding that to car that already has an amp and speaker wiring in the trunk. Your statements are accurate for a retrofit where only the head unit powered the speakers and there was not an amp with wiring in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:24 AM   #48
thebranch423
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
For now I still make kits.
Hi nick.
I just bought an 2008 E60 non navigation (6.3 screen).
Can I buy your CIC retrofit and get navigation in it?
Some folks were telling me that I can’t use your retrofit because my car originally didn’t come with navigation.
I m ready to purchase your retrofit if this would make my car a CIC with navigation.
In case I first need to convert my non navigation car to navigation, is there anything you can recommend?
Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #49
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebranch423 View Post
Hi nick.
I just bought an 2008 E60 non navigation (6.3 screen).
Can I buy your CIC retrofit and get navigation in it?
Some folks were telling me that I can’t use your retrofit because my car originally didn’t come with navigation.
I m ready to purchase your retrofit if this would make my car a CIC with navigation.
In case I first need to convert my non navigation car to navigation, is there anything you can recommend?
Thank you so much.
As someone who has retrofitted CIC to a non nav E60 chassis; only some parts will work:

-The CIC itself will work(if its reprogrammed with the E60 software) and you will need the E60 faceplate(buttons)
-You will need the dash trim(plastic surround for the radio and HVAC controls) and the lower panel that deletes the cubby
-You will need the CIC 8.8 screen (E90 and E60 are the same)
-the video cable and glovebox USB cables will interchange and the USB glovebox plug is the same
-CIC controller is the same should you choose to swap to it
-Also you will need a GPS antenna cable(ebay works) and coding+FSC codes to get it operational
Appreciate 1
houbmw65.50
      05-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #50
snaggs100
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

Looking for a retrofit in NYC

Been trying to look for a CIC retrofit in NYC for a bit now. I can install myself, but living in the city can make that hard at times, and the coding afterwards could be tricky as well. Any help here would be great!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 11:49 AM   #51
Cvandello
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I am currently battling some health issues. I would like to start making the kits again but I am not sure when I will be fit to do so. Even though I can't help it, I am disappointed in myself since creating these kits was so meaningful to me. Currently I am only doing warranty work on as needed.
Are you still in the business or making the kits again for a 2008 bmw 335xi or do you know where is a good place to get one from
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:52 PM   #52
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvandello View Post
Are you still in the business or making the kits again for a 2008 bmw 335xi or do you know where is a good place to get one from
FYI, I ended up going this route and am so much happier I did than going with the CIC upgrade.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799480

I think the box I found is different than the one listed in that post. The sound goes through the optical connections, so no need to have a cable running from it to the AUX input!

The wireless is flawless and zero lag. I had assumed I'd use it plugged in, but now I just leave my phone on me, get in, and go. With maps and music I use maybe 3% battery on a 25min drive. NOTE: It comes with a hardwire connection too, but it DOES NOT charge! That was disappointing, but since I use it wirelessly, I'm not concerned. I can plug it into a car charger on long trips.

Wireless CarPlay Box

Also threw in the backup camera!

I am planning on making a video of the results. Here's a picture in the meantime.
Attached Images

03-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #53
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvandello View Post
You can try and get one from a car part out or in the classifieds (I have a complete kit for sale there right now).

Finding any pre coded is going to be very tough; your best bet is to grab a complete kit, install it, do any coding you can yourself and then get a local professional to do the rest
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:46 PM   #54
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
FYI, I ended up going this route and am so much happier I did than going with the CIC upgrade.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799480

I think the box I found is different than the one listed in that post. The sound goes through the optical connections, so no need to have a cable running from it to the AUX input!

The wireless is flawless and zero lag. I had assumed I'd use it plugged in, but now I just leave my phone on me, get in, and go. With maps and music I use maybe 3% battery on a 25min drive. NOTE: It comes with a hardwire connection too, but it DOES NOT charge! That was disappointing, but since I use it wirelessly, I'm not concerned. I can plug it into a car charger on long trips.

Wireless CarPlay Box

Also threw in the backup camera!

I am planning on making a video of the results. Here's a picture in the meantime.
Wait... Did you go with the android 8.8 screen or the CarPlay Android Auto Decoder Box?

Just interested cause i'm not interested when audio goes over aux.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #55
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
Wait... Did you go with the android 8.8 screen or the CarPlay Android Auto Decoder Box?

Just interested cause i'm not interested when audio goes over aux.

Cheers
I felt the same way about the AUX. This is just the box. I kept the original screen. I had heard that the ones that are an all-in-one screen look great, but have a lot of glare. I appreciate that the original screen has a matte finish to prevent glare. I also had no desire for a touch screen since the distance from my screen is much further than newer cars that are designed for touch screen. Plus I don't want smudges!
Attached Images

06-13-2023, 04:33 PM   #56
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
The original URL doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 07:52 PM   #57
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Hi Nickco43 , do you still have a link to your CIC retrofit and wiring instructions? The link on the first post has expired and I'm looking to do this upgrade. Cheers from down under .
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 10:14 PM   #58
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
Hi Nickco43 , do you still have a link to your CIC retrofit and wiring instructions? The link on the first post has expired and I'm looking to do this upgrade. Cheers from down under .
I could help out. What exactly did you need for wiring instructions? Only thing you have to do assuming you have the cic wiring cables for screen/usb is repin the power wires for the screen
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 08:45 PM   #59
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgAu View Post
I could help out. What exactly did you need for wiring instructions? Only thing you have to do assuming you have the cic wiring cables for screen/usb is repin the power wires for the screen
Hi TiAgAu, I've collected all the gear I believe I need.

I've bought some parts and collected the rest from a fellow member here in Australia that was removed from his car when parting out:
  • Professional CIC unit
  • Professional CID screen
  • New CID screen wiring connector plug
  • CID screen cable
  • USB cable
  • USB port
  • Centre console CIC controller wheel and buttons

From the video in the first post, I can see the wires for the new screen connector plug are:
  • Pin 1 - Power - Red/Yellow wire
  • Pin 3 - Earth - Brown wire
  • Pin 5 - K_CAN_H - Orange/Green wire
  • Pin 6 - K_CAN_L - Green wire

I've seen in some other posts and videos that people also changes some wires in the main harness connector at the back of the CIC unit.

This is where I'm not sure about and I'm just wondering if I need to do any change to the CIC unit main harness connector block? For added info, I'm also upgrading from the basic business CCC to the professional CIC unit so I don't know if that makes any difference either.

Thanks for any help and guidance provided.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:18 AM   #60
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi TiAgAu, I've collected all the gear I believe I need.

I've bought some parts and collected the rest from a fellow member here in Australia that was removed from his car when parting out:
  • Professional CIC unit
  • Professional CID screen
  • New CID screen wiring connector plug
  • CID screen cable
  • USB cable
  • USB port
  • Centre console CIC controller wheel and buttons

From the video in the first post, I can see the wires for the new screen connector plug are:
  • Pin 1 - Power - Red/Yellow wire
  • Pin 3 - Earth - Brown wire
  • Pin 5 - K_CAN_H - Orange/Green wire
  • Pin 6 - K_CAN_L - Green wire

I've seen in some other posts and videos that people also changes some wires in the main harness connector at the back of the CIC unit.

This is where I'm not sure about and I'm just wondering if I need to do any change to the CIC unit main harness connector block? For added info, I'm also upgrading from the basic business CCC to the professional CIC unit so I don't know if that makes any difference either.

Thanks for any help and guidance provided.

Cheers.
Sounds like you got it all sussed. Tbh i haven't had any experience with a basic business CCC i'd imagine they still have the same quadlock connection.

Out of interest what does basic not have? DVD/TV i guess?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 03:41 PM   #61
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgAu View Post
Sounds like you got it all sussed. Tbh i haven't had any experience with a basic business CCC i'd imagine they still have the same quadlock connection.

Out of interest what does basic not have? DVD/TV i guess?
Hi TiAgAu, Thanks for that.

Being basic, the CCC Business unit only has a CD drive whereas the CCC Professional came with the DVD drive. So yeah, no DVD/TV or anything else and there's no TCU (or even wiring for the TCU) in the boot, only MULF.
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00
      11-15-2023, 07:45 PM   #62
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ok, worked out what people are modifying their CIC main harness quadlock connection for.

Its to fit an emulator because their CIC unit is from another car and you can't edit the VIN without an ethernet ICOM cable (USB OBD cable won't work) and when the CIC see's a mismatched VIN it locks out the navigation in the CIC.

If you want to keep nav from a second hand car, then you either need to edit the CIC coding using an expensive ICOM cable, or you can just install the emulator.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:35 PM   #63
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, worked out what people are modifying their CIC main harness quadlock connection for.

Its to fit an emulator because their CIC unit is from another car and you can't edit the VIN without an ethernet ICOM cable (USB OBD cable won't work) and when the CIC see's a mismatched VIN it locks out the navigation in the CIC.

If you want to keep nav from a second hand car, then you either need to edit the CIC coding using an expensive ICOM cable, or you can just install the emulator.
Yeah the old school emu stuff. Unlikely any modification is required in your case.

What year CIC did you get? Can't remember what version had latest C1A firmware think it's 2010+

If you have C1A firmware you can use intel123's patch to virginize it. And once you default code it with NCS which will write your VIN to it.

Edit: Pretty sure you can change VIN with tool32 but i've never done it that way. https://www.car-auto-repair.com/how-...dia-by-tool32/

Last edited by TiAgAu; 11-15-2023 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0