E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Joying 10.25" Android Head Unit Install - Non Idrive - Digital Audio Out & Carplay

06-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Joying 10.25" Android Head Unit Install - Non Idrive - Digital Audio Out & Carplay

Hi Guys,

So, I started with an Eonon unit a couple months ago. There were a number of pros & cons which I will lay out:

Pros:
  • BMW Specific Fitting & Harness
  • Cost Effective
  • Carplay Built In
  • Carplay Via Wire Loaded Very Quickly
  • Sound Quality Was Great
  • Apps Like Torque & Netflix Preloaded

Cons:
  • Screws for securing unit were too short and did not engage
  • Climate Control Relocation
  • New Location for Climate Control Doesn't Flow Well With Dash
  • Climate Control Must Be Physically Modified
  • Potential To Damage Dash Material
  • Unsecure Unit Is Safety Risk
  • Hardware Not Able To Keep Up With Unit 2gb Ram 32gb Storage
  • No Wireless Carplay Built In
  • No Digital Out
  • Weaker Processor (Quad Core)
  • Viewing Angle Quite Low

Ultimately, I was trying to get the Eonon unit secured and I had to push on the screen because there was no where else. The screen broke. I spoke to 2 other people with this unit and both had the same issues and one had a broken screen as well. I think with some longer screws and upgraded hardware the Eonon unit would do better.

Moving on, I researched a fair bit and started looking for a unit that would hit on points I wanted a little better. I found this Joying Universal unit and thought it was the best option. They do have model specific units that have most of the benefits I will list but I had the following criteria in my head:

• Mount Screen As High As Possible Without Permanent Modification
  • No Relocation Of Climate Controls
  • Built In Carplay
  • Largest Screen Possible
  • Best Hardware Specs Possible
  • Digital Out

Based on that I believe this unit has the best specs that fit our cars where function and aesthetics meet perfectly. The sound quality is amazing and a step up from any Bluetooth dongle or y cable for us non idrive guys. I want to upgrade to a DSP with digital in down the line but this is the first step. I have a custom diffuser coming that I wanted a back up camera for. So that's where this all started for me.

This is the unit I purchased.

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-10...lt-in-dsp.html

I made a quick DIY video on youtube and I will have a more in depth review explaining some things as a part 2.

Appreciate 3
      06-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

I got some requests for more pictures and I did a little more in depth explanation of my initial review.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

That turned out really great, thanks for the upload it will come in useful.
Appreciate 1
PORTMOODY140.50
      06-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
Kuokonut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Did you have to tap into a fuse for always-on power? Can you provide links for the things you needed? Thanks for the work you've done!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
That turned out really great, thanks for the upload it will come in useful.
I hope so. The 1 series guys really led the way with these units and I found their info very helpful. I just wanted to do my part and build on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuokonut View Post
Did you have to tap into a fuse for always-on power? Can you provide links for the things you needed? Thanks for the work you've done!
The power wire is looped into the main harness on the Joying unit. It is not left unplugged for you to tap into a fuse. Personally, I don't see any reason to tap into a fuse at this point. The system boots up lightning quick. Literally 1-2 seconds even with the car sitting overnight. I still have my lighting settings on the cluster retained. I haven't checked other settings to be honest. At this point I haven't found a reason to hard wire it to a fuse tap.

With the Eonon unit it was not connected to anything and I believe they expected you to tap into a fuse. Their unit took a solid 20 seconds or so to boot up when the car went to sleep. The only thing right now I still feel the Eonon does better is the sound quality. Their equalizer had way more bands and perhaps the presets could have been optimized for our cars. I haven't been able to pinpoint it. I need to play around with the EQ on the joying to see if I can dial it in better. Eventually I will likely get a DSP/AMP so I can really benefit from the digital out.

In terms of things I needed, it is quite a small list:
  • Joying Head Unit
  • Metra Single Din Fascia for BMW 1/3 series
  • Plastic Pry Tool
  • T20 Torx Screwdriver
  • Double Sided Tape
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
dan4081
2009 E90 328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
I hope so. The 1 series guys really led the way with these units and I found their info very helpful. I just wanted to do my part and build on that.

The power wire is looped into the main harness on the Joying unit. It is not left unplugged for you to tap into a fuse. Personally, I don't see any reason to tap into a fuse at this point. The system boots up lightning quick. Literally 1-2 seconds even with the car sitting overnight. I still have my lighting settings on the cluster retained. I haven't checked other settings to be honest. At this point I haven't found a reason to hard wire it to a fuse tap.

With the Eonon unit it was not connected to anything and I believe they expected you to tap into a fuse. Their unit took a solid 20 seconds or so to boot up when the car went to sleep. The only thing right now I still feel the Eonon does better is the sound quality. Their equalizer had way more bands and perhaps the presets could have been optimized for our cars. I haven't been able to pinpoint it. I need to play around with the EQ on the joying to see if I can dial it in better. Eventually I will likely get a DSP/AMP so I can really benefit from the digital out.

In terms of things I needed, it is quite a small list:
  • Joying Head Unit
  • Metra Single Din Fascia for BMW 1/3 series
  • Plastic Pry Tool
  • T20 Torx Screwdriver
  • Double Sided Tape
Thanks for this list but how about the wiring harness?
Did you buy it from Joying?
Also the BMW canbus...did you have to request it from Joying and how much did it cost?
Also, the 9mm adapters.

Thanks, just want to make sure I have a full list for whenever I decide to change out my unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
Thanks for this list but how about the wiring harness?
Did you buy it from Joying?
Also the BMW canbus...did you have to request it from Joying and how much did it cost?
Also, the 9mm adapters.

Thanks, just want to make sure I have a full list for whenever I decide to change out my unit.
My bad. I misunderstood. Yes you need to make sure to request the Bmw E90 harness. It will come with the canbus decoder and radio antenna adapter. Also you should ask for the 9mm spacer. They called it a “stent”. When you’re ready to order let me know and I’ll tell the person I’ve been chatting with to give you the same order. I am working on ideas for getting the spacer to screw in in a way to center the screen. I’m also working on an idea to space it out further. I think I want to raise the screen up a little bit higher as well. It doesn’t block the climate controls physically but the viewing angle does block the climate control lcd. They charged me $40 extra for the harness. Different people have reported different prices they’ve been charged. I’d order from joying direct to get the longer warranty and the harness.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
dan4081
2009 E90 328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Great info. Thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:03 PM   #9
loudnslow
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Are there any HVAC control relocation facias that drop the heated seats buttons but not far enough to hang off the bottom? Would be nice to have normal full view of HVAC screen without dropping your head.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow View Post
Are there any HVAC control relocation facias that drop the heated seats buttons but not far enough to hang off the bottom? Would be nice to have normal full view of HVAC screen without dropping your head.
None as far as I know. If one was to get an hvac control unit with the seat heater buttons built in that would make for a lot of real estate to drop it lower without sticking out at the bottom. I'm likely going to raise this unit to the highest position it can be mounted. It will likely block one vent slat. Personally, im ok with that given I don't use heat through those vents and only AC.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

I can think of 2 more cons:

1. No HD Radio functionality.
2. No gong from the factory radio.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #12
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
I can think of 2 more cons:

1. No HD Radio functionality.
2. No gong from the factory radio.
Really depends if you use HD radio. I didn't even know we had HD radio. Do you mean satellite?

As far as the gong it has its own beeping sound that replaces the gong. IMO they're both equally annoying. I never liked the factory gong.

I was asked for a profile pic of the unit. At present its touching the dash. I am going to space it out a little further and hopefully center the unit. Contrary to what I said in the video, the unit is not actually designed to be used with an offset to left or right but I believe I will try to modify the bracket to work. Stay tuned and I'll post up what I did if its a success.
Attached Images

Last edited by PORTMOODY; 06-26-2020 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #13
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Mounting Modifications

The fact the screen wasn't horizontally centered was really bothering me. I had some ideas about how to correct this but I was very happy to find a solution that requires no permanent modifications to the brackets or head unit. I made a video explaining it and I took some pictures to show how it sits now. I also raised the unit so I can now see the climate control LCD without any obstruction. This is now perfectly mounted and even better than before. Very pleased with this unit. The video has links to the screws & washers I used. Shouldn't cost you more than about $2 at fastenal.

Attached Images

Last edited by PORTMOODY; 06-27-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #14
crux
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi E91

Thanks for all the info, this honestly looks like the best option for us with non iDrive cars. How is Apple car play functioning on the unit? I was hoping to see how well it worked, as well as the boot time in your videos, but didn’t see it.
Appreciate 1
PORTMOODY140.50
      07-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #15
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Thanks for all the info, this honestly looks like the best option for us with non iDrive cars. How is Apple car play functioning on the unit? I was hoping to see how well it worked, as well as the boot time in your videos, but didn’t see it.
I do think it’s the best unit for us non idrive guys. Would be nice if we could get an idrive controller to work with it somehow. I know those idrive type units to have a controller for them. If we could fit one of those it would be amazing.

Apple CarPlay has been working well. It’s an app called zlink I believe. It takes about 10 seconds from when you plug in the phone. You can connect wireless but you lose sound quality via Bluetooth. The eonon definitely connected to CarPlay quicker. Almost immediately but I had weird buzzing feedback on the eonon.

It boots extremely quick. Depends if it’s gone to sleep or not. Most times it’s literally 1 second even if it’s sat overnight. If it’s a full boot it can’t be more than 10 seconds. It’s so much quicker than the eonon unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #16
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
Really depends if you use HD radio. I didn't even know we had HD radio. Do you mean satellite?

As far as the gong it has its own beeping sound that replaces the gong. IMO they're both equally annoying. I never liked the factory gong.

I was asked for a profile pic of the unit. At present its touching the dash. I am going to space it out a little further and hopefully center the unit. Contrary to what I said in the video, the unit is not actually designed to be used with an offset to left or right but I believe I will try to modify the bracket to work. Stay tuned and I'll post up what I did if its a success.
I meant HD Radio, the digital version of the FM and AM radio. If you see Sub Channels on a radio station like HD1, HD2, then you have HD Radio. None of these Chinese headunits support it, so I ended up keeping my factory radio and added an Android screen (that requires cutting the dash).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #17
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
I meant HD Radio, the digital version of the FM and AM radio. If you see Sub Channels on a radio station like HD1, HD2, then you have HD Radio. None of these Chinese headunits support it, so I ended up keeping my factory radio and added an Android screen (that requires cutting the dash).
I see. I wasn't aware of that option. Its great we have all the options we do, so everyone can find their flavour.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:04 AM   #18
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Loving this. Sadly I have Harmon Kardon and Joying said no way to use this in my car... seems like there should be a MOST box but I’m a noob and the wiring harness scares me
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
TresTresCinco
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Can this work with the logic 7 system?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #20
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Thanks for documenting and sharing this with us. How are you liking it so far? I've never found an Android headunit that I was completely happy with but this seems like a great option.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #21
eshroom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresTresCinco View Post
Can this work with the logic 7 system?
No. There are very nice looking 10.25 units that do work with logic 7 but they involve cutting part of the dash. They wire into AUX port and so a functioning professional radio is needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 01:44 AM   #22
s0undgarden
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Total cost for all the parts? I'm debating this or other 10.25" unit that requires cutting the dash. Also, any pics of backup camera working?
Appreciate 0