E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2010 335D E90 - CIC Unit restarting continuously?

07-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
Turiyadon
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2010 335D E90 - CIC Unit restarting continuously?

Hi Guys, great site, new member and first post.

I have recently bought this 2010 335d, and love it.
Many things I have planned such as swirl flaps delete and lots of other deletes it seems are good for this car, so fun times ahead.

But, this is the first problem I NEED to deal with as this rebooting is doing my head in.

The CIC unit (i am pretty sure its CIC, will add some pics to this post) completely reboots every 90 seconds, BMW logo appears, the radio comes on and works fine, the Sat Nav works I think (it loads the map and shows me where i am), but shuts down before I can try it out as it takes a while to initialise.
There is only one cd slot on the front and this will not play any music CDs? (this all used to work previously according to the seller)
The section in the options where it shows the hard drive, this is greyed out and not accessible?
There is an option to show memory usage and search and play tracks from the hard drive, but none of this works.

Ok, so there seems to be a lot of possible reasons for this to happen, so will put down what I have done so far:
1. visually checked for broken fiber optic cable based on this thread -(https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...cic+restarting)

2. purchased another hard drive (non SSD) and copied the original drive to the new hard drive, inserted this and the system still reboots about every 90 seconds? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=841458)

I am not sure if this is worthwhile or even possible but see if there is someone willing to somehow give me a copy of a working image to put into my drive? would this need coding somehow to work on my system?

3. Read a few posts about trying to bypass the combox (again I think this is a combox?) with a fiber optic loop to test the unit, so i bought this: (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and put this on the fiber cable plugged into the back left of the combox and this made no difference to the rebooting but the Bluetooth stopped working.

So, not sure where /what to do now?
Oh, I also found a connector just sitting there under the grey plastic box in the left hand side of the boot, it was different to the fiber connector on the combox, so i could not try the loop on this, but that particular connector is open (no loop or blanking etc), but from what i could see this has no light emitting from this whatsoever, whereas the one from the combox has the red laser light.

So, I find myself at the point where it seems like Id have no choice to take this to a BMW dealer, but reluctant to do this for obvious reasons, until i have exhausted other possibilities.

Any ideas or advise please?
much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Does the nav boot without the hdd in situ?

If it does then its deffo the hdd that's at fault.

If it still reboots, then the cic has developed a fault.

Yes you have a combox

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Turiyadon
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Does the nav boot without the HDD in situ?
If it does then its deffo the hdd that's at fault.
If it still reboots, then the cic has developed a fault.
Yes you have a combox
Thanks for replying, no, the sat nav does not work if the hard drive is not in the unit, it becomes greyed out.
With the hard drive out the unit still reboots after 90 seconds, actually, I timed it today and the reboots are more like 1min:45sec on the dot.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:23 AM   #4
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

It's not an HDD image or map problem then.

Sounds like the firmware on the cic itself has developed a fault.

It might be possible to get it repaired, there are a few people who do this on ebay, but its not cheap.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
Turiyadon
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
It's not an HDD image or map problem then.

Sounds like the firmware on the cic itself has developed a fault.

It might be possible to get it repaired, there are a few people who do this on ebay, but its not cheap.
Yes, seems I am stuck with either repair or new unit?
i will search about to see if I can find anyone to repair it?
thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Might be an idea to look for a dab unit too if you go for replacement.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
Turiyadon
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Might be an idea to look for a dab unit too if you go for replacement.
"what's this now?"
So, is there something I can put instead of this CIC to completely replace it maybe android?
I know there are android units which replace the display part, but the main CIC has to stay in place and mine keeps rebooting so no point getting that particular android part, but is there one to replace the CIC unit? whats this DAB option you are referring to?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:13 AM   #8
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

there are 2 types of cic for our cars.

cic with normal am/fm radio.
and
cic with am/fm and dab.

it has a dual dab tuner built in and allows dab radio.

if you are going to get a replacement, might as well spring for the extra and get the dab unit.

its has just the same stuff as the one you have, but dab.

I have the digital tv on mine too and im sorting the rear view camera so they will take that too, it just feels a bit more up to date.

Dont really know much about android units, as im more an OEM kind of bloke

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #9
Turiyadon
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Cool, thanks for the info.
So you know what I'm going to ask now 😁. Do you know where I can get a replacement dab version and does it need coding to work etc?
I will search the forum for it also, thx.
Appreciate 0