E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Code 4530 - Turbo Control - Vacuum System

04-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #45
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Problem solved with oil smell, lack of power and code 4530. First, Yozh was dead on...the EGR vacuum actuator was shot and hose leaked. $40 part and 45 min of labor. Forge charge pipe seal also leaked. Car is back to normal.
Can you elaborate? Was it the EGR pressure converter, or the EGR vacuum diaphragm that is controlled by the pressure converter?
I believe it was the latter. I will look at my invoice. It was replaced along with the frayed hose that attached to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:41 AM   #46
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
hey yozh, here's some pics...also, the PM won't let me load images so an extra picture of codes I'm seeing...too many...: I haven't looked then up yet, just ran them

EDIT...it didnt upload all the pics I took, more to come shortly
Thought I'll continue here as it may be related.

From Here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254534&page=5
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:42 AM   #47
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Lets have some of these codes if anyone knows, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

4530 - Charging Pressure Control, High Pressure Stage Control Deviation, Charging Pressure Too Low/Positive Deviation;

4674 - Fuel Injection Rate Monitoring;

4AD5 - Zero-Mass Adaptation Injector, Cyl 1;

459B - Smooth Running Controller, Cyl 5;

459C - Smooth Running Controller, Cyl 1;

4592 - Smooth Running Controller, Cyl 4;

4593 - Smooth Running Controller, Cyl 2;
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:45 AM   #48
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Omaha, couple of questions:

-what downpipe are you running;
-how long has it been since your deletes, in miles;
-have you monitored your boost and your EMP;
-have you had CBU cleaning done.

You may wish to post the details of your issue here, I did no want to copy from the PM.

Without knowing the details of your set-up, if you want to eliminate the fault of high EMP and plugged SCR, you may wish to free the exhaust flow up before the SCR. For example, if you still have the SCR nozzle hook-up, open it up there and see if your codes drop. Or check parameters and see where you are.

Last edited by Yozh; 05-04-2016 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #49
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post

You may wish to post the details of your issue here, I did no want to copy from the PM.

Without knowing the details of your set-up, if you want to eliminate the fault of high EMP and plugged SCR, you may wish to free the exhaust flow up before the SCR. For example, if you still have the SCR nozzle hook-up, open it up there and see if your codes drop. Or check parameters and see where you are.
Thanks Yozh,
Yeah this is the best place for it.

Heres the back story...
It's well known by now, just got my stage 3 done about 1k miles ago and im having a bit of an issue,....in the low rpm range....not always...but quite often I get some serious lag...like its not wanting to go at all...like im not making boost....BUT in addition to that...when I really push things...intermittently....I get limp mode (though it really doesnt limp badly) and I can sometimes get it out of limping by putting it in manual and downshifting....I think it clears it....but what do I know...

Obviously I dont have my dpf and currently running with the SCR in, havent gutted it yet... COULD be the possible reason for the issues up high...not so sure about the issues down low though...

Here is a screen shot from INPA
.. https://goo.gl/photos/3LXjjC5wQQXCZcXDA
Im running the DP from Bohl
I tried to monitor boost last night but its awfully tough driving and monitoring INPA at the same time....I tried to get TestO to track things for me but Im not familiar enough with using that software to set it up correctly. I do have torque but I have trouble getting it to tell me what I want to see as well...(I dont know what EMP is)
Yes, during the cars time in the shop with mechanics for the turbo swap, I had a CBU cleaning done. In the process, injectors 4-6 were replaced as they failed testing by a certified Bosch tester. Im wondering about the zero mass adaptation...I dont know if they did that...

Yozh, what are you using for your reference of codes? I looked last night and only found a couple of definitions that matched yours...

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #50
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL
Quote:

Thanks Yozh,
Yeah this is the best place for it.

Heres the back story...
It's well known by now, just got my stage 3 done about 1k miles ago and im having a bit of an issue,....in the low rpm range....not always...but quite often I get some serious lag...like its not wanting to go at all...like im not making boost....BUT in addition to that...when I really push things...intermittently....I get limp mode (though it really doesnt limp badly) and I can sometimes get it out of limping by putting it in manual and downshifting....I think it clears it....but what do I know...

Obviously I dont have my dpf and currently running with the SCR in, havent gutted it yet... COULD be the possible reason for the issues up high...not so sure about the issues down low though...

Here is a screen shot from INPA
.. https://goo.gl/photos/3LXjjC5wQQXCZcXDA
Im running the DP from Bohl
I tried to monitor boost last night but its awfully tough driving and monitoring INPA at the same time....I tried to get TestO to track things for me but Im not familiar enough with using that software to set it up correctly. I do have torque but I have trouble getting it to tell me what I want to see as well...(I dont know what EMP is)
Yes, during the cars time in the shop with mechanics for the turbo swap, I had a CBU cleaning done. In the process, injectors 4-6 were replaced as they failed testing by a certified Bosch tester. Im wondering about the zero mass adaptation...I dont know if they did that...

Yozh, what are you using for your reference of codes? I looked last night and only found a couple of definitions that matched yours...

Thank you!
For sure gut that scr. With added fuel in stage 3 I'm sure it is plugged.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #51
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Gutting the SCR or replacing it with a straight midpipe is certainly in your future. You only have so much time/miles before it clogs up. If your SCR is well plugged up, you should not see boost past 20psi. Honestly, I would start there. Your low boost issue may be a separate problem. But one step at at time, deal with the SCR, it is one of the contributors to your limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #52
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gutting the SCR or replacing it with a straight midpipe is certainly in your future. You only have so much time/miles before it clogs up. If your SCR is well plugged up, you should not see boost past 20psi. Honestly, I would start there. Your low boost issue may be a separate problem. But one step at at time, deal with the SCR, it is one of the contributors to your limp mode.
I have no delusions that either gutting the SCR or replacing the exhaust is something Im going to be able to avoid....and I again I have only been running for about 2 weeks without my DPF, so I am pretty confident that clogging is the issue yet. Granted, it is a bottle neck for boost above 20psi (good to know) but....the issue Im experiencing is not in the top end of the boost range...but its in the bottom.. my lag is in the beginning....the high pressure turbo... So that cant possibly be associated with the SCR.

Please let me know how you would start to isolate this issue (ignoring the SCR)

The SCR gutting will happen, just maybe not today...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:00 AM   #53
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

If you have been running for only two weeks, I doubt that SCR is your issue. To clarify a bit, with a clean SCR, you should see normal boost, with a clogged one (a well clogged one in my case) you should not see boost above 20psi. Well, at least my experience.

You certainly had a lot of things done in a short time span - CBU cleaning, injector replacement, turbo swap, downpipe and retune. Assuming that all of that work has resulted in each own successive positive completion, you should have been ok and your low boost issue would be directing you to start diagnosing first and foremost vacuum system control for those aforementioned turbos. But, given the fact that you do have a series of fuel injector related codes, I would also be looking at confirming proper injector programming at the time of replacement as well as proper adaptation reset after the CBU clean. Some have also found a need to have completed an IRAP session after the CBU clean and that has actually solved a lot of issues. Mind, you, not the low boost issue, though. Still think it's a separate one.

Who did your tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #54
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you have been running for only two weeks, I doubt that SCR is your issue. To clarify a bit, with a clean SCR, you should see normal boost, with a clogged one (a well clogged one in my case) you should not see boost above 20psi. Well, at least my experience.

You certainly had a lot of things done in a short time span - CBU cleaning, injector replacement, turbo swap, downpipe and retune. Assuming that all of that work has resulted in each own successive positive completion, you should have been ok and your low boost issue would be directing you to start diagnosing first and foremost vacuum system control for those aforementioned turbos. But, given the fact that you do have a series of fuel injector related codes, I would also be looking at confirming proper injector programming at the time of replacement as well as proper adaptation reset after the CBU clean. Some have also found a need to have completed an IRAP session after the CBU clean and that has actually solved a lot of issues. Mind, you, not the low boost issue, though. Still think it's a separate one.

Who did your tune?
Yeah, my first plan was going to try the injector adaptation again, supposedly they did this already once...but we can do it again, especially to injector 1 that is throwing that specific code. Can I do this myself with INPA?

JR/andrew did my flash.

Last edited by OmahaDZL; 05-06-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:38 AM   #55
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Since links on first page are broken, here are the files that may be helpful to some trying to diagnose vacuum control issues.

Last edited by Yozh; 08-27-2019 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #56
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Omaha did you figure out what your low end vacuum problems were?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #57
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

PMs replied
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #58
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
Omaha did you figure out what your low end vacuum problems were?
Not yet, my mechanic has been under the weather so ive been driving somewhat gingerly... but Im pretty sure whats going on has to do with andrews issues on his thread
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #59
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

I finally got TestO to tell me what I wanted to know and graph it like I wanted...(okay I finally figured it out, it was total user error, but I digress)

I can consistently demonstrate that my actual boost is lower than requested when below 2000 rpm.... AND ...the boost voltage...which im guessing is the electro pneumatic vacuum controller IS climbing along with requested boost.. after 2000 rpm...consistently on point......so the only thing that makes sense to me is...my change over valve is not flipping like it should....

Thoughts? Is there something i can be looking at in either INPA or Rheingold to diagnose the funtionality of that thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #60
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

How about the rod on the Turbine Control Valve, is that adjusted properly? This is how BMW dealers set the turbine control valve.
http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/1_se...cuum_pressure/

Last edited by Andrew@FixMyVW; 07-18-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #61
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@FixMyVW View Post
How about the rod on the large turbo actuator, is that adjusted properly?
I would have no idea what "adjusted properly" is..... I dont think my mechanic touched it after it came out of the box from you guys... Did it need adjusting?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #62
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would have no idea what "adjusted properly" is..... I dont think my mechanic touched it after it came out of the box from you guys... Did it need adjusting?
The large actuator wasn't mailed to you, that's a part your mechanic would have installed. I've looked for documentation this morning but haven't found any, I suspect it is a computer learned adaptation that must be done with Rheingold.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #63
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The large actuator wasn't mailed to you, that's a part your mechanic would have installed. I've looked for documentation this morning but haven't found any, I suspect it is a computer learned adaptation that must be done with Rheingold.
Sorry....my fault. I didnt do the work on my car so Im not as familiar with the turbo/vac system as I would prefer to be. Of course you are right, that wasnt mailed to me....I was thinking of a different part all together.

So you are thinking there might be some adaptation needed? That does sound somewhat logical considering there seem to be a few people that are having an issue much like this.

Please keep us apprised of your progress. Really looking forward to getting this thing back up to speed and not running so darn rich.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #64
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry....my fault. I didnt do the work on my car so Im not as familiar with the turbo/vac system as I would prefer to be. Of course you are right, that wasnt mailed to me....I was thinking of a different part all together.

So you are thinking there might be some adaptation needed? That does sound somewhat logical considering there seem to be a few people that are having an issue much like this.

Please keep us apprised of your progress. Really looking forward to getting this thing back up to speed and not running so darn rich.
I'm slammed today and I don't have a 335 to play with but you should go through Rheingold and look for the information on performing this adaptation or adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #65
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm slammed today and I don't have a 335 to play with but you should go through Rheingold and look for the information on performing this adaptation or adjustment.
Well I know that kydiesel's car is in the shop looking at this same issue...4530 after stage3...so he should be able to impart some knowledge once hes got his issue isolated.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #66
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
So the deal is they are replacing all of the vac lines with higher quality non oem and the pressure converters for code 4530. We did adjust the switch over actuator on the turbo manifold and choked it down a little bit (about 19-22 threads).

If this doesn't fix it I'm not sure what will. Maybe the only thing we left out that we could try is that #4 electric changeover valve....
Appreciate 0