E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Can't Reset Oil Service

05-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #23
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
So a bit off to the side of topic: Anyone figure out to reset the oil change light and then not have it advance a year? I change mine on a schedule of less than a year, so right now, since the last one in July, I am still at 2020 for my oil change light. I haven't reset it the last time I changed in Mar, but wondering if there was a definitive answer to this? Obviously if I trust the oil for a year in stop-and-go traffic then I'm fine, but otherwise....
bumpity
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #24
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

the maximum time can be changed with a DME flash. The default maximum is 730 days, you can change it to however many days you want.

I don't know if that works once you hit the 300,000km threshold though..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the maximum time can be changed with a DME flash. The default maximum is 730 days, you can change it to however many days you want.

I don't know if that works once you hit the 300,000km threshold though..
So you're saying after I reset it this time, it won't push the date out farther if its more than 730 days. I had no idea, thanks. I'm no where near 300,000 km, so not quite worried about that yet. If it for some reason does go past that or it gets too annoying, I'll solicit your services, sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #26
Moh328i
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes View Post
My 2011 328i is at 185,000 now and I’m kind of expecting this. Is there still confirmation that this is still known to happen even on the LCI cars? I’m thinking of resetting everything this week to hopefully prevent a non reset situation after 186k.
Anyone else past 186,000?
I have an E92 with about 228,000 Miles. At around 225,000 miles (not sure on exact mileage but over 215,000) my change oil service light came on. I changed the oil, reset the service light and it came back on after driving it a few miles.

As a side note it took sometime to reset the service light as I had a light out indication (which was difficult to identify) and I cannot get into the car service reset menu if there is another fault showing up on my dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #27
shanes
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi ZSP, H/K, iDrive

Ok.. my car is now at 198,000 miles and I was able to reset the oil to another 16,000 miles with no issues, also I had to reset the vehicle check as well. It’s a 2011 e90 328i xDrive. So there is a good chance that the newer cars that have newer software must have resolved this issue.

I was prepared for this to stop working based on the posts here, but to my surprise.. it worked. I did the reset by holding down the button on the cluster and holding in the BC button.

Last edited by shanes; 10-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Needed to add info.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Ok.. my car is now at 198,000 miles and I was able to reset the oil to another 16,000 miles with no issues, also I had to reset the vehicle check as well. It’s a 2011 e90 328i xDrive. So there is a good chance that the newer cars that have newer software must have resolved this issue.

I was prepared for this to stop working based on the posts here, but to my surprise.. it worked. I did the reset by holding down the button on the cluster and holding in the BC button.
It will be interesting to see when you get near 220,000 miles. A few other people have reported other than me that the reset capability stopped around the 220,000-mile mark. Unless it is a difference in hardware between the MSV70 vs. MSV80 DME, if the later cars didn't have default at 300,000KM programmed into the software, why would BMW make a patch to remove the notification rather than just load the MV70 ECU with the software that doesn't have the default.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #29
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I'm pretty sure it's not in the DME. I've looked everywhere in MSV70 for a 300,000km limit and I can't find anything. I think it's in the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16947.50
      10-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not in the DME. I've looked everywhere in MSV70 for a 300,000km limit and I can't find anything. I think it's in the instrument cluster.
That makes sense since the fix is in the kombi to ignore the oil over due message. Whole thing is asinine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #31
cliffschum
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

CBS Oil reset

I joined the over 220K club. Oil reset worked fine until now. What is weird is the date changed to 2022, but the mileage will not reset. I see the reset icon, check mark, clock spin....but mileage remains the same. Now have 450 miles before red light starts to annoy me.

No issues at the dreaded 186K marker I've read about here. Changed spark plugs at 200K, CBS working, now shows 80K.

Dealer prob updated software when I took it in for fan motor warranty last year, so I'm thinking maybe this corrected the 186K stumbling block.

Have tried both the stalk and my Bav Tech, numerous times.

Suggestions ?

Thanks.

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffschum View Post
I joined the over 220K club. Oil reset worked fine until now. What is weird is the date changed to 2022, but the mileage will not reset. I see the reset icon, check mark, clock spin....but mileage remains the same. Now have 450 miles before red light starts to annoy me.

No issues at the dreaded 186K marker I've read about here. Changed spark plugs at 200K, CBS working, now shows 80K.

Dealer prob updated software when I took it in for fan motor warranty last year, so I'm thinking maybe this corrected the 186K stumbling block.

Have tried both the stalk and my Bav Tech, numerous times.

Suggestions ?

Thanks.

Cliff
You need to have the Kombi coded to ignore the oil change past due message. The dealers can do the coding, or the aftermarket coding tools can as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #33
cliffschum
Private
Rep

Engine oil reset

Thanks.

My old Austrian BMW Indy says he's seen this before on other high mileage vehicles. Suggests waiting until red oil warning icon to reset CBS. Each time, after low fuel gauge warning light appears, fill tank, and then try talk reset. May take 2-3 tanks to succeed. After first couple of tries, reset might only go back to zero.

He says CBS programmed to allow/limit reset after each new full tank.

Yes, I'm skeptical, but he's been working on BMW for 40 years....so it's worth a try before having dealer disable a nice feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

My old Austrian BMW Indy says he's seen this before on other high mileage vehicles. Suggests waiting until red oil warning icon to reset CBS. Each time, after low fuel gauge warning light appears, fill tank, and then try talk reset. May take 2-3 tanks to succeed. After first couple of tries, reset might only go back to zero.

He says CBS programmed to allow/limit reset after each new full tank.

Yes, I'm skeptical, but he's been working on BMW for 40 years....so it's worth a try before having dealer disable a nice feature.
He's wrong, respectfully. I went from 221,000 to 307,000 before I had mine coded out. During that time, I filled the tank full at least 2 times per week. 245 fill ups (all full tanks) and 3,227 gallons of gasoline.

Trust me, the only way to fix it is to code it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #35
cliffschum
Private
Rep

Thanks for reply. Appreciate the voice of experience. Have voice mail into dealer, naively awaiting call back.

In the meantime you'll enjoy this beauty. Tried to reset oil today, and it actually worked ...although the new remaining miles is higher than it should be

However, after I got done gloating, and rechecked, it reverted back....sigh...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 05:50 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for reply. Appreciate the voice of experience. Have voice mail into dealer, naively awaiting call back.

In the meantime you'll enjoy this beauty. Tried to reset oil today, and it actually worked ...although the new remaining miles is higher than it should be

I'd say I'm the voice of experience since I was the first E90 owner that discovered the problem and found out BMW didn't have a fix for it yet.

There's nothing to be naïve about. You are screwing around with this too much and not listening. You do not have a unique issue. The problem you have has been long since solved. Just take this to the dealership:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf OZS Reset_correction.pdf (87.3 KB, 1035 views)
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #37
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:

I'd say I'm the voice of experience since I was the first E90 owner that discovered the problem and found out BMW didn't have a fix for it yet.

There's nothing to be naïve about. You are screwing around with this too much and not listening. You do not have a unique issue. The problem you have has been long since solved. Just take this to the dealership:
You might be able to code it out with Protool?
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You might be able to code it out with Protool?
I'm certain the aftermarket tools can run the routine to code it out; discussed in the coding forum. I just paid the dealer. Knowing me I'd brick the ECU or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #39
Kevindshea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E91 RWD 6MT

Quote:

I have a 2011 rwd 328i 6MT e91 and yesterday @ approx. 225k car hit its max number of oil changes and blocked me .
So newer cars or lci e9x are not exempt you just haven’t hit your 30 or 31 allowable oil services yet. It doesn’t actually go by miles it’s a down counter from 30 or 31 oil services to zero. Once you hit zero , you either shut off oil cbs or find a good bmw coder i guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:05 AM   #40
Kevindshea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You need to have the Kombi coded to ignore the oil change past due message. The dealers can do the coding, or the aftermarket coding tools can as well.
Don’t get too hung up on 186k , it’s actually a specific number of allowed oil service resets . It counts down from 30 (I’m pretty sure ) to zero so mileage will vary
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:08 AM   #41
Kevindshea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I’m not sure I would call shutting off the oil service reminder “solved” it’s more of an annoying hack that disables the most convenient part of the cbs system
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:11 AM   #42
Kevindshea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The software fix has been out on the internet for a few years now. Any BMW dealer can apply the correction as well.
Fix or just hack deactivation of oil reminder?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:13 AM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindshea View Post
Don’t get too hung up on 186k , it’s actually a specific number of allowed oil service resets . It counts down from 30 (I’m pretty sure ) to zero so mileage will vary

So this thread is 7 years old now... The only reason you have any knowledge of it is because I was the first owner to discover it. The issue crops up AFTER the car reaches 186,000 not AT 186,000 miles.

It's 186,000 miles per BMW (300,000 km x .62 km/mile = 186,000):
Attached Images

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-08-2020 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:19 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindshea View Post
I’m not sure I would call shutting off the oil service reminder “solved” it’s more of an annoying hack that disables the most convenient part of the cbs system
Exactly why I used the word "asinine"...
Appreciate 0