E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Bird Shit etching..

06-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Bird Shit etching..

I have Le Mans blue and notice an etched in bird shit on my trunk if I look a certain way and the light hits it a certain way. I just picked the car up yesterday and called the dealer after I noticed it. They said to bring the car back at my leisure and they will "buff" it out I'm guessing with a machine.

What do you guys think? Should I try to fix it myself, leave it alone or let the dealer have a chance? If I should fix it myself what do you guys recommend? Scratch X.

The etching is really not that bad as I didnt see it at the dealer when I was inspecting the car but when I got it home and put her in the garage with the lights on I did another inspection and found it and now that I did it kind of bothers me but I will probably have to grow a thicker skin as this Le Mans is a very dark paint, almost gonna be as tough to keep clean as black...

Thanks.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

the dealership will more than likely not charge for it because its a new car...

but I would go try out some scratchX or some megs ultimate compound with a 3m headlight lens kit (if you dont want to buy from online supplier). Take the orange pad from the kit and use that with the UC, then follow it up with the white pad and the scratch X...or start with white and scratch X and move up. Might not even need the kit if you can find some decent applicators, and not the yellow waxing ones...try something on your own first, then take it in, or to a detailer in your area..should be a 5 min ordeal for a single spot at most. There are a ton of products that will work, but getting the two polishes and the kit will give you products for a couple situations...headlights and spot correction.

Whatever you do, just make sure you watch the detailer if you are taking it in if possible..if they are just going at it with a rotary and then waxing, demand to check it in sunlight BEFORE waxing and AFTER an IPA wipedown to ensure no oils are concealing the typical dealership/hack complimentary ghost flames!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^ right on Eric. Sound advice right there!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Dude, you're gonna need a polisher anyways, just get one and learn to do it right.

Stay Far, FAR, F A R away from the dealer . . .
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

[the dealership will more than likely not charge for it because its a new car...]

US car dealerships will really remove excrement from a car because its new and under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

i originally read it as he just bought the car...might not be the case...oops.

I wouldnt think the dealership would charge if they sold someone a car with etching on it prior to signing on the dotted line...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

I've had many bird shit stains/etchings on my black sapphire E90. What I've done every time and it seems to work is apply a coat of Zaino AIO and wait a while. Right after I apply it, I can still see the stain, but it usually goes away later. I don't understand what happens - maybe a delayed chemical reaction. I just did it this weekend for a stain on my trunk.

It helps to get it off as soon as possible. I use a soft dampened cotton cloth and drag it over the stain a few times with NO pressure. I change the area of the cloth many times and rinse it off with a little water when I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I agree with the posters above who say not to bring it back to the dealership. Last time the dealer gave me a courtesy wash, it came back with swirls everywhere. Check out this thread on the Meguiar's forums for some scratch X advice:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=1516
Appreciate 0