E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 320 si engine problems

11-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
arjanvanessen
Rep
Drives: 320 si

320 si engine problems

are there people overhere who have / had problems whit the 320 si engine ?

a custumor of us has one whit cracked cylinder liners

i think this is not a case on its own

i am looking for people who had the same problem to make list / collect data

bmw ignores the problem

Arjan
ps , i openend this tread to collect data / pictures , you can email me on a.essen6@chello.nl to discuss further

Last edited by arjanvanessen; 11-08-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

it's not common that anyone here really hears about 320i/d problems and cracking a cylinder lining is a big deal on its own. What you'll end up having to do is tear the engine down to the block, bore it over (maybe 1MM would mill out the damages) and replace the piston (that may also be damaged from a cracked lining). As you're tearing it apart you'll likely come across any other damaged parts - if you're thinking it could be an underlining problem; that is of course the customer KNOWS that's the problem 100%... just tell your customer to expect additional charges for parts and labor in case there is an underlying problem
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
arjanvanessen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
it's not common that anyone here really hears about 320i/d problems and cracking a cylinder lining is a big deal on its own. What you'll end up having to do is tear the engine down to the block, bore it over (maybe 1MM would mill out the damages) and replace the piston (that may also be damaged from a cracked lining). As you're tearing it apart you'll likely come across any other damaged parts - if you're thinking it could be an underlining problem; that is of course the customer KNOWS that's the problem 100%... just tell your customer to expect additional charges for parts and labor in case there is an underlying problem
i am looking for cases whit the 320 si engine , block cant be used again , the are complete pieces broken out off the cylinder liner

so i want to find more info / pictures / people whit the same problem to make up list to show BMW or case is not a case on its own

Arjan
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
E90_320si
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320si -06

Thank you Arjan!

Bmw dosent say that they have never heard of this problem here i Sweden! I am so angry at them, because they don't take response for a bad engine the have built!

Uppdate us of your progress!

Best regards

Fredrik
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjanvanessen View Post
i am looking for cases whit the 320 si engine , block cant be used again , the are complete pieces broken out off the cylinder liner

so i want to find more info / pictures / people whit the same problem to make up list to show BMW or case is not a case on its own

Arjan
Perhaps I understood you incorrectly, but blocks can be welded.
I know only of one company here in Sweden that does it, but they do a good job from what I've heard. You should have the same type of companies in the Netherlands.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
arjanvanessen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
Perhaps I understood you incorrectly, but blocks can be welded.
I know only of one company here in Sweden that does it, but they do a good job from what I've heard. You should have the same type of companies in the Netherlands.
yes i know , but i openend this thread to find more owners who have / had the same problems whit the 320 si engine , to show BMW its a common problem whit these engines

there a +/- 30 on order worldwide , i think this isnt normal for a car , and there a 2600 cars made worldwide

and i know a few are already been chanced under garantee

Arjan
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
arjanvanessen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_320si View Post
Thank you Arjan!

Bmw dosent say that they have never heard of this problem here i Sweden! I am so angry at them, because they don't take response for a bad engine the have built!

Uppdate us of your progress!

Best regards

Fredrik
can you email me pics and data ?

a.essen6@chello.nl

thanks

Arjan

ps , sweden has some good engine builders / bmw lovers like Kohler
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
E90_320si
Private
Rep

Quote:
can you email me pics and data ?

a.essen6@chello.nl

thanks

Arjan

ps , sweden has some good engine builders / bmw lovers like Kohler

My engine haven't blow upp yet, but i know 3 320si here in Sweden with enginefailure! I've contacted BMW headquaters here in Sweden and i told them about this big problem! The customcareperson at Bmw did not know how an engine worked, and did not take response of this! He only told me that i can call him when my engine have blowed up!

I called him because my question was if Bmw have a workaround to prevent this problem! And they dident..

PS:

Khöler racing is one of all reputated Bmw tuners in Sweden.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #9
arjanvanessen
Rep

Quote:
My engine haven't blow upp yet, but i know 3 320si here in Sweden with enginefailure! I've contacted BMW headquaters here in Sweden and i told them about this big problem! The customcareperson at Bmw did not know how an engine worked, and did not take response of this! He only told me that i can call him when my engine have blowed up!

I called him because my question was if Bmw have a workaround to prevent this problem! And they dident..

PS:

Khöler racing is one of all reputated Bmw tuners in Sweden.

Regards
can you bring me in contact whit these persons ? , i am planning making a list

Arjan
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
E90_320si
Private
Rep

I will look in to this and see if i can come in contact with does persons. I know one very vell butt the the other two i have only read about on swedish forums.

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
man i'd love a 320si with the 2.0l vtec 7800rpm 197hp engine!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
arjanvanessen
Rep

pics of our case

Arjan
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Dazza T
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Si

I have exactly the same problem and have been waiting for six months for a new block, it is being manufactured in Germany.

I have now asked BMW UK to advise me exactly what the reason is for the delay but they are unable to find out what the problem is in Germany, this seems strange as they are the same company.

I have a feeling that they are designing a new block to stop the problem happening again.

Please keep me posted on what happens with you.

Darren
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
E90_320si
Private
Rep

Very intresting to hear!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
arjanvanessen
Rep

last month +/- 30 where delivered to munchen , but these where all not up to the standard , meaning all no good

Arjan
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
arjanvanessen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza T View Post
I have exactly the same problem and have been waiting for six months for a new block, it is being manufactured in Germany.

I have now asked BMW UK to advise me exactly what the reason is for the delay but they are unable to find out what the problem is in Germany, this seems strange as they are the same company.

I have a feeling that they are designing a new block to stop the problem happening again.

Please keep me posted on what happens with you.

Darren
please contact me on a.essen6@chello.nl , i want to make a list whit names / pictures / odometerreadings / vinnumbers / country / warranty or not , i did read some cases about warrenty / coulance but need facts

Arjan
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
E90_320si
Private
Rep

30 engines? Or?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
arjanvanessen
Rep

Quote:
30 engines? Or?
blocks / pistons

complete engines i dont know , whe ordered just a block whit pistons

Arjan
ps , i think BMW is shopping around for a better manufacturor because they want this not happening anymore , or looking for a solution , this is why i think it takes so long , i think !! , not sure about this
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
Loucas
Registered
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

320si engine block problems

Hi Arjan,
This is Loucas from Cyprus (320si owner).

In Cyprus there were approx 8-9 cars sold new from our local dealer. Two cars had exactly the same problems with approx milage between 120000-140000 km.

Of course the cars were out of warranty and BMW as I know denied any kind of compensation with the woldwide known answer that it is not a common problem (I don't know if they want to talk about this. The one that I know will repair the car, approx 6000 euros, sell it and buy something else. I will send him your email if he wants to give you more details).

Up to now my car revealed no problem yet (I have 87000km), but it is my opinion that all of our cars will end up in the same or similar way.

I am an owner of BMW cars for almost 27 years (I own one E30 for 27 years) and I was never dissapointed by BMW until now.

I have no trust of my engine and I am trying to find a borescope camera to inspect the engine's liners. Note that BMW advertised the above special liners and now denies its faulty production.

Quote:
are there people overhere who have / had problems whit the 320 si engine ?

a custumor of us has one whit cracked cylinder liners

i think this is not a case on its own

i am looking for people who had the same problem to make list / collect data

bmw ignores the problem

Arjan
ps , i openend this tread to collect data / pictures , you can email me on a.essen6@chello.nl to discuss further
Appreciate 0