E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New BMW Key Fob not working

07-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #23
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i MPE

Anyone know how long it takes for a CAS to be shipped to Vancouver? I assume its coming from Germany?

Been two weeks since I put in the order and still haven't heard back yet.

On a side note, I wanna thank everyone who helped me out. I did not end up hiring a locksmith, as I got my issue solved through a different method. I cannot discuss it publically, but for those who are interested, feel free to PM me.

2018 F30 340i | M Performance Edition
Alpine White | Individual Black Merino Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #24
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
Anyone know how long it takes for a CAS to be shipped to Vancouver? I assume its coming from Germany?

On a side note, I wanna thank everyone who helped me out. I did not end up hiring a locksmith, as I got my issue solved through a different method. I cannot discuss it publically, but for those who are interested, feel free to PM me.
FWIW- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152624
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #25
allinall
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3.0 Petrol N53 2010 e90 Buddy

Why did you try with a dealer in the first place? Their prices are abnormal and you will overpay a ton. I also claim for a locksmith, i programmed a lot of these (to be honest, those were not a similar case, they had a fob, but nevertheless). So please consider before making any moves.
Edit:
I guess OP already had the problem solved. I saw the last topic dated 2015 year. Oopsie
      03-02-2018, 01:53 AM   #26
Marches
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 individual black

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post

''I cannot discuss it publically, but for those who are interested, feel free to PM''

I added you as a friend, I hope this enables the ''PM'' functionality.
From what I read, my issue is very similar to yours, so I am extremely curious how you solved it in the end.

Please send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
dbenven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i

Key Fob not working. Replace CAS

Im currently running into a similar situation. I lost my only key fob. I replaced the key fob and it's not working. Now dealership is saying I need to replace CAS. Prior to losing my only key everything worked fine....any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #28
LuckyOnTheDucky
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

I just got a new fob from a reputable locksmith, since my (used) 2007 328i only came with one and I wanted a spare ($200). It worked for a few hours, then nothing. Both fobs would fire up the electrics, but not start the engine. (luckily I had made it home!) He came out the next day, reprogrammed and now everything seems to be fine.

Only problem is the pax side mirror no longer dips down when in reverse (either fob). Anyone know hot to reinstate that feature?

Thanks and good luck!
L

Ah yes, switch to the left. That did it!

Last edited by LuckyOnTheDucky; 05-17-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #29
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyOnTheDucky View Post
I just got a new fob from a reputable locksmith, since my (used) 2007 328i only came with one and I wanted a spare ($200). It worked for a few hours, then nothing. Both fobs would fire up the electrics, but not start the engine. (luckily I had made it home!) He came out the next day, reprogrammed and now everything seems to be fine.

Only problem is the pax side mirror no longer dips down when in reverse (either fob). Anyone know hot to reinstate that feature?

Thanks and good luck!
L
What mostly happened when the fobs stopped working, is that the CAS and DME got out of sync.

Make sure that the mirror adjustment switch is pointing toward the driver's side, if it's pointed towards the passenger side, the mirror will not dip.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #30
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenven View Post
Im currently running into a similar situation. I lost my only key fob. I replaced the key fob and it's not working. Now dealership is saying I need to replace CAS. Prior to losing my only key everything worked fine....any help would be appreciated.
Did you purchase this car used, with only one fob? If you did, then my guess would be that in the past someone used a locksmith tool to add a fob to the CAS, when this is done, it kind of screws up getting a fob from official routes later.

The CAS system in a car has slots for 10 keys. These slots are prefilled with transponder ID's of fobs that will be used for the car. BMW can manufacture fobs to use these ID's. Locksmith tools can update the information in the CAS, so that they can program fobs to work with it.

So, for example, when you buy a new BMW, it comes with 3 keys, an emergency plastic key, and 2 fobs - lets call these key's 1 through 3. When you order a replacement key from BMW, they create, and send you a fob that uses the ID in slot 4. They can do this because they know the 10 ID's defined to the CAS, and they know what keys were created, by BMW, for the CAS. BUT, is a locksmith had previously created a fob, he may have updated that slot to use the fob he programmed, and BMW does not know about this. So they send a fob, and it doesn't work.

Used car dealers purchase cars from auctions, and many times those cars do not come with keys, so they use locksmith software to add a fob, to get it to work. This works fine, but it makes it so that ordering a fob from BMW in the future may not work.

If you use a locksmith to program a fob to your car, which can be MUCH cheaper, I would recommend either getting a number of keys made (to make it less likely you will need to order a key from BMW in the future), or seeing if he can program the fob into a higher slot, like 7 or 8 (so that if a fob is ordered from BMW in the future, it's more likely to work).

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #31
Lillouie96
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 2011 White Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenven View Post
Did you purchase this car used, with only one fob? If you did, then my guess would be that in the past someone used a locksmith tool to add a fob to the CAS, when this is done, it kind of screws up getting a fob from official routes later.

The CAS system in a car has slots for 10 keys. These slots are prefilled with transponder ID's of fobs that will be used for the car. BMW can manufacture fobs to use these ID's. Locksmith tools can update the information in the CAS, so that they can program fobs to work with it.

So, for example, when you buy a new BMW, it comes with 3 keys, an emergency plastic key, and 2 fobs - lets call these key's 1 through 3. When you order a replacement key from BMW, they create, and send you a fob that uses the ID in slot 4. They can do this because they know the 10 ID's defined to the CAS, and they know what keys were created, by BMW, for the CAS. BUT, is a locksmith had previously created a fob, he may have updated that slot to use the fob he programmed, and BMW does not know about this. So they send a fob, and it doesn't work.

Used car dealers purchase cars from auctions, and many times those cars do not come with keys, so they use locksmith software to add a fob, to get it to work. This works fine, but it makes it so that ordering a fob from BMW in the future may not work.

If you use a locksmith to program a fob to your car, which can be MUCH cheaper, I would recommend either getting a number of keys made (to make it less likely you will need to order a key from BMW in the future), or seeing if he can program the fob into a higher slot, like 7 or 8 (so that if a fob is ordered from BMW in the future, it's more likely to work).
So I'm currently stuck out of town with a car that's inoperable. I lost the key I had on hand on a kayaking trip and the spare is no where to be found. I ordered a new key which did absolutely nothing and eventually towed to the local BMW where I was advised I would need the CAS unit replaced at a cost of $1700 + the $265 I spent on a key that doesn't work and won't work with the new CAS unit. What did you wind up doing? I'm new to the site but I mean the question for xXsupa but if anyone else can advise I would deff appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #32
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=key

see entry 6 in the above thread
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #33
bmw22011
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550 XDRIVE 20111

HELP

''I cannot discuss it publically, but for those who are interested, feel free to PM''

I added you as a friend, I hope this enables the ''PM'' functionality.
From what I read, my issue is very similar to yours, so I am extremely curious how you solved it in the end.

Please send me a PM. (I ALSO COPIED THIS FROM ANOTHER MEMBER NEEDING ASSISTANCE LIKE ME)

If it helps... im the stupid one who disabled all keys (2-9) after the locksmith programmed the 3rd key. He changed it up to where the BMW dealership key won't work, they've sent 2 out already
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:18 PM   #34
Kinge335i
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Im facing similar issue i have ordered new key and did program it and it doesnt lock or unlock i used my friend same car took tge cas module with the key it works fine but with my cas not working but start the car im using the manual key to lock and unlock but today its locking only the driver door and the car doesnt see its locking can one help me
Appreciate 0