E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Used e90 CPO...or not?

04-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
ThreePedAlways
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Used e90 CPO...or not?

I’ve had my eye out for a 2009 + used e90 xDrive manual for a while now…I test drove a 2008 CPO e90 manual at my local dealer last year, but waited because I like the looks of the 2009s better. Plus, my wife/fiancé would have killed me if I would have bought a car right before our wedding last fall . Ideally, I started looking for e91 manuals, but they are way too rare, unfortunately!

Unless I find something interesting in my back yard (SE MI), I’m looking at 3 vehicles a bit away from me. 2 CPOs and 1 at an independent dealer.
  • All claim to be off lease vehicles and have 10 months to a year left on their original warranties.
  • I’ve asked the dealers with the CPOs to provide me with inspection reports and maintenance/repair history since they claim they are off-leases dealt with at their respective dealers.

Normally, I would ignore the one at the independent dealer, but it has the equipment I’m looking for.
However, I’m a little concerned about the vehicle from the independent dealer. The third party inspection came back saying the front brakes had a pulsation/vibration. It needs new rotors, most likely, in my opinion. Couple of minor scratches and wheel rash (outside edge only), nothing else that would deter me from it.

My understanding is that all brake parts/rotors/pads, etc. are covered under the original warranty. Why the dealer just didn’t have this done already before trying to sell the car, I have no idea. Of course, I’m going to use this as a negotiating point. If I were to purchase this vehicle, would I get any hassle from a dealer about rotor and pad replacement?

Also, does there tend to be a particular reason why an off-lease BMW wouldn’t end up at a dealer as a CPO?
1. Maybe certain dealers just don’t like dealing with manuals?
2. Poor service history? If I call up my local dealer with the VIN, will they be able to give me the service history?

Does anyone have experience with getting the CPO warranty after purchasing a non-CPO vehicle? If I move forward with the independent dealer, I’m strongly considering it. I’m pretty good with doing my own maintenance, but afraid of a big issue with more expensive BMW parts/labor.

Any other big 328 issues to look out for? I’ve read a little about engine ticking, but in general there seems to be not nearly as much trouble as high pressure fuel pumps on N54 equipped e90s.

Hints and tips would be greatly appreciated…Thanks!
Appreciate 0