E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY E90 N54 Valve Cover Gasket

05-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #265
Mikey William
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattistics View Post
I used this DIY and the ECS Tuning PDF to guide me, which was very helpful. Two things happened to me during install: I stripped the threads in the head on the front right bolt for the vavle cover. Stupid me thought I could use pressure of the bolt to push bolt jacket into valve cover....WRONG!!! I couldn't tap and dye the hole because I didn't have the tools. I pushed really hard and got the bolt to go in. I'll have to tap and dye if the valve cover comes off again. Also, I was installing the Rob Beck PCV valve and my PCV valve cover/holder broke. A $100 valve cover gasket install turned into $650 new valve cover..ugh!! I couldn't wait for ECS Tuning to over night a new valve cover for $400.
Did you have oil leaking from valve cover near the thread you stripped??
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #266
trbizwiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

SO I began the undertaking of this project last Friday 5-26-17. It took about 2 hours from start to valve cover removal. I have done plugs and vanos, so I am familiar with most of the beginning process.
However on cleaning and inspecting the valve cover prior to gasket install I discovered cracks. So that halted the process. I called dealers and the cheapest cover was close to $500 with tax. So I ordered one from ECS tunning for much less. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
I took my time and was fairly deliberate in my removal of everything. However I missed the step about removing the Turbocharger Boost Solenoid Valve (Pressure Converter) and I accidentally snapped off the air filter from the front boost valve. These are found on the exhaust side of the engine toward the front. The front one is bolted to the valve cover with 2 #10 bolts, the back one is attached to the engine block. I broke the filter off the front one. I am hoping to be able to reattach the filter. i was wondering if anyone else has done this, and had a suggestion for the repair. It looks like I may be able to drill it out and just glue some tubing in there for a solid connection. I might even be able to run it filterless, or possibly buy some q-tips that have the hollow shaft and stick that in there for a filter.
The valve is another $130 to replace. Kinda sucks. I probably need to replace the coils as well. So this $30 dollar job could be pushing a grand by the time its completed. IF I have to buy all these parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #267
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbizwiz View Post
SO I began the undertaking of this project last Friday 5-26-17. It took about 2 hours from start to valve cover removal. I have done plugs and vanos, so I am familiar with most of the beginning process.
However on cleaning and inspecting the valve cover prior to gasket install I discovered cracks. So that halted the process. I called dealers and the cheapest cover was close to $500 with tax. So I ordered one from ECS tunning for much less. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
I took my time and was fairly deliberate in my removal of everything. However I missed the step about removing the Turbocharger Boost Solenoid Valve (Pressure Converter) and I accidentally snapped off the air filter from the front boost valve. These are found on the exhaust side of the engine toward the front. The front one is bolted to the valve cover with 2 #10 bolts, the back one is attached to the engine block. I broke the filter off the front one. I am hoping to be able to reattach the filter. i was wondering if anyone else has done this, and had a suggestion for the repair. It looks like I may be able to drill it out and just glue some tubing in there for a solid connection. I might even be able to run it filterless, or possibly buy some q-tips that have the hollow shaft and stick that in there for a filter.
The valve is another $130 to replace. Kinda sucks. I probably need to replace the coils as well. So this $30 dollar job could be pushing a grand by the time its completed. IF I have to buy all these parts.
Are you a BMW CCA member? The retail parts discount normally gets relatively close to online pricing I see, and all you have to do is show your membership card when they write it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #268
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
HOw many miles on your car? If over 100K, replacing the entire cover is the right move anyway, as you discovered...plastic gets brittle and cracks with time. WRT boost solenoids...I'd just bite the bullet and get two new ones. They are probably tired anyway. I preemptively replaced mine at around 100k.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #269
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

It has 76,000 miles.
I did find the boost valves for $67 with free shipping.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #270
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has 76,000 miles.
I did find the boost valves for $67 with free shipping.
score!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #271
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Yes if anyone else breakes theirs, here is the cheaper link
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1...50-MFG244.aspx
Also I think Ecs has the same brand for $80ish
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #272
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Ugh!!!!
ECS tuning sent me the wrong valve cover. I've been riding my bicycle to work every day this week waiting on this part and they sent the wrong one. On the upside, in this 95 degree south FL weather I'll drop some lbs waiting another week.
ECS assures me they sent the correct cover. It should fit they say.
Well you be the judge.
I am fairly sure I can get it on the engine. But I doubt it will work. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Last edited by trbizwiz; 06-02-2017 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #273
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Well here is the tear down pic I case anyone is in to that sort of thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #274
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ugh!!!!
ECS sent me the wrong valve cover. I've been riding my bicycle to work every day this week waiting on this part and they sent the wrong one. On the upside, in this 95 degree south FL weather I'll drop some lbs waiting another week.
ECS assures me they sent the correct cover. It should fit they say.
Well you be the judge.
I am fairly sure I can get it on the engine. But I doubt it will work. [IMG][/IMG]
Bummer, pretty sure that is an N55 cover.

UPDATE: Nope...pic doesn't match.

Last edited by AndyW; 06-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #275
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Well on the upside, I'm getting swimsuit ready. I've logged 29.9 miles this week riding my trek to work every day. I have 7 miles left to ride this week. It'll probably take them another week to get me the part, I'll be able to double that
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #276
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looks like the valve cover in this link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #277
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

They sent you the N52 valve cover - you can clearly see the CCV location & VVT location, which the N54 doesn't have.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #278
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
They sent you the N52 valve cover - you can clearly see the CCV location & VVT location, which the N54 doesn't have.
They just emailed me to let me know this in fact the wrong part. They are gracious enough to send me an RMA so I can send the part back and then when they receive it, they will send out the correct part.
If you order from ECS tuning, expect about a month to get the correct part. As long as you are willing to jump through hoops to let them know they are in error.
I have asked for expedited options, and a discount for my trouble. Ill let you guys know if they step up and make this right.
Thank goodness I only live 3 miles from work. I have put 32 miles on my trek this week. Probably dropped 3 lbs.
I do hope I can remember the reassembly process when I finally get the correct parts.
The valve cover they did send was missing 3 of the attachment bolts (so it is likely defective anyway), I double checked the box and the bubble wrap bag, and they were not there. I really hope my correct one comes with all the new bolts.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #279
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Ok, the new valve cover is ordered. After a little begging with a manager, I did get a token ($19) discount and expedited shipping. They told me these are already on clearance. Though I saw members earlier in the thread mention paying closer to $300. So I don't know if they do not plan on carrying them much longer, or if that was just the company line for attempting not to discount the item for my trouble.
I sort of wish I had bit the bullet and paid the local dealer the little extra and got the part last Saturday. I would have had a long weekend to complete the repair.
If I were giving advise to my past self, I would either ordered the valve cover while the car was still running and confirmed the part was correct before disassembly, or if I decided to wing it and see if mine was ok, probably at that point a local purchase is the best solution.
Sorry if this is clogging up the thread, but I thought future readers could benefit from my mess
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #280
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, the new valve cover is ordered. After a little begging with a manager, I did get a token ($19) discount and expedited shipping. They told me these are already on clearance. Though I saw members earlier in the thread mention paying closer to $300. So I don't know if they do not plan on carrying them much longer, or if that was just the company line for attempting not to discount the item for my trouble.
I sort of wish I had bit the bullet and paid the local dealer the little extra and got the part last Saturday. I would have had a long weekend to complete the repair.
If I were giving advise to my past self, I would either ordered the valve cover while the car was still running and confirmed the part was correct before disassembly, or if I decided to wing it and see if mine was ok, probably at that point a local purchase is the best solution.
Sorry if this is clogging up the thread, but I thought future readers could benefit from my mess
Not to turn this into a bash to vendor thread but...getbmwparts.com....typically competitive prices and an actual BMW dealer is behind it. I typically get my OEM parts from them. No, I don't know them or get a commission...

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #281
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Well after my whine fest yesterday, ECS running did over night my correct valve cover. They told me to expect it Tuesday, but it arrived today. Less than 24 hours after we settled the issue.
It fit perfectly and my car is running. I'll put some miles on it and then re torque the bolts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #282
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well after my whine fest yesterday, ECS running did over night my correct valve cover. They told me to expect it Tuesday, but it arrived today. Less than 24 hours after we settled the issue.
It fit perfectly and my car is running. I'll put some miles on it and then re torque the bolts.
Careful...VCG bolts are only 8 n-m or something like that. Easy to overdo. Glad you are up and running.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #283
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Quote:
Careful...VCG bolts are only 8 n-m or something like that. Easy to overdo. Glad you are up and running.
I read earlier in the thread that the bolts need to be re-torqued after some miles. I did inspect the gasket for uniform compression. I'll do that again. But I would venture less than a 1/4 turn for retorque.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #284
gptrilik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i, '02 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isehrgut View Post
Hey everyone, preparing to do this DIY, purchased the valve cover from ECS, when it arrived, it was missing the metal screw connector clip for the beauty cover, front passenger side, where the beauty cover screws into the valve cover itself. how do I remove the metal clips from the old valve cover so I can securely attach the beauty cover to the new valve cover, thank you so much.

I believe a small flat blade screwdriver under the metal clip in two places on the original valve cover will remove it and you can re-use it on the new valve cover.

gptrilik
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #285
trbizwiz
Private
Rep

Update a month and a half later. Mine is working perfectly. No leaks!! I may put the beauty cover back on finally. I'm tired of hearing the injectors. It sounds like a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 05:01 AM   #286
vaska85
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E60 535i

Did you have leaks prior to retorqueing? C'z my new VC is still leaking and I have not retorqued them yet. In fact I always suspected one was NOT necessary because they do not do that with brand new cars!!!
Appreciate 0