E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > CBU

08-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
BigJim619
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

CBU

Just bought the 335d set check engine light for smooth running. Took to BMW dealer estimate of 5200.00 for walnut flush and programming. Luckily the dealer I bought it is paying the tab. Ordered egr and egr cooler delete. Anyone know if I can use Protool for coding of egr removal? Or is it necessary for custom tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

You can delete the EGR and your car will throw Service Engine Soon (SES aka "Check Engine Light") with related EGR error messages. EGR codes will not effect the way your car runs. No limp mode will result or anything negative other than the constant SES light. To eliminate the SES will require a custom tune. Custom tunes fall into three categories. Performance only tunes, Performance plus emissions delete tunes, and emissions delete only tunes. Most but not all people seem to get the performance plus emissions delete tunes and report their fuel mileage goes up about 10 percent. Emission delete tunes without performance enhancements also increase fuel mileage about 10 percent. Emissions delete tunes include any combination of the delete of the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), Swirl Flaps, DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), and SCR (Selective Reduction Catalyst). Many emissions delete tunes cost the same price if you delete one item or all emissions items. All emissions deletes can be done by themselves except for the DPF. If you delete DPF then you must delete SCR and remove the SCR catalytic converter or the soot in the exhaust will plug up the SCR catalytic converter and your car will not run.
The EGR can be left in place with the EGR deleted. Just make sure the EGR valve is closed and/or install block off plates.
The Swirl Flaps can be left in place with the Swirl Flaps deleted. But the only purpose of deleting the Swirl Flaps is so you can remove them to eliminate the possibility of them failing and being injested by the engine.
You can delete the SCR and leave the SCR catalytic converter in place without issues as long as the DPF isn't deleted also.
The main deletes needed for improved reliability are the EGR delete to prevent carbon buildup and the SCR delete to eliminate all the issues related to the urea injection system. (Level sensor issues, temperature issues, NOx sensor issues, wrong urea fill issues, X miles to no start issues)

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 08-21-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:41 AM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

pm me op
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim619 View Post
Just bought the 335d set check engine light for smooth running. Took to BMW dealer estimate of 5200.00 for walnut flush and programming. Luckily the dealer I bought it is paying the tab. Ordered egr and egr cooler delete. Anyone know if I can use Protool for coding of egr removal? Or is it necessary for custom tune?
That price is at least 2X if not 3X too high, but as you're not paying for it, guess it doesn't matter. I had CBU cleaning once at 54K with reprogramming under warranty. Haven't needed it since, now at 120K miles. All emissions equipment is intact and functioning.
Appreciate 0