E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Starter positive cable nut size?

06-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Starter positive cable nut size?

Does anyone have a link to or the exact measurements or name or whatever for the positive collar nut which holds the positive starter cable to the passenger side of the frame under the hood? I know its a 13 mm size but i cant seem to find it anywhere on realoem.com or anything. Im guessing the nuts are of the same size that hold the positive battery red thing down in the trunk but i cant find those on realoem, only the smaller ones that hold the cables to the posts. Anyway ive done a wee bit of searching on here and google and i cant seem to find it, can anyone help please?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:40 AM   #2
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Could you post a picture of where exactly you mean?

I know the nut holding the positive cables to the alternator is an M8 nut and the standard spanner size for M8 is 13mm so could make sense if it's the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo View Post
Could you post a picture of where exactly you mean?

I know the nut holding the positive cables to the alternator is an M8 nut and the standard spanner size for M8 is 13mm so could make sense if it's the same.
Yes thats correct and is the one I was looking for. I had found the part number online yesterday but driving around with the starter cable loose literally left me stranded several times because of the voltage draw.. so I yolo'd and did a suicide run to the nearest BMW dealership from my house (10 minutes thank god). By the time I got there and started tightening the nut my voltage dropped down to 8 or so... but a jump solved the problem and my voltage finally stayed constant above 12. The only problem was because I was driving around with the loose cable, it melted through the cable sleeve a little, and because it was sparking and getting hot by where you connect the cable to the chassis, when I tightened the nut it started bending the metal and pretty much ruined the part where the alternator and starter cables connect too. But thankfully I special ordered that and it was only $40 or so! Anyway, thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:41 AM   #4
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearitself165 View Post
Yes thats correct and is the one I was looking for. I had found the part number online yesterday but driving around with the starter cable loose literally left me stranded several times because of the voltage draw.. so I yolo'd and did a suicide run to the nearest BMW dealership from my house (10 minutes thank god). By the time I got there and started tightening the nut my voltage dropped down to 8 or so... but a jump solved the problem and my voltage finally stayed constant above 12. The only problem was because I was driving around with the loose cable, it melted through the cable sleeve a little, and because it was sparking and getting hot by where you connect the cable to the chassis, when I tightened the nut it started bending the metal and pretty much ruined the part where the alternator and starter cables connect too. But thankfully I special ordered that and it was only $40 or so! Anyway, thanks for the help!
ahhahaha wow you weren't joking about a "suicide run". Im glad it ended up ok in the end. i can see why people on this forum say to have a 2nd car while you repair your bmw...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:22 AM   #5
rngorin
rngorin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Looking for the same part... do you happen to have the part number still handy?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:41 AM   #6
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngorin View Post
Looking for the same part... do you happen to have the part number still handy?
Is it the B+ terminal you're referring to? If so I can get it i still have the broken one in my trunk.

EDIT: part # 61149144884. To get the old one off you need to openthe ecu cover to reach the nuts on the back

Last edited by fearitself165; 09-05-2021 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:43 AM   #7
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo View Post
ahhahaha wow you weren't joking about a "suicide run". Im glad it ended up ok in the end. i can see why people on this forum say to have a 2nd car while you repair your bmw...
Yes that would be a definite recommendation by me as well. Several times I have been stuck because of missing a certain tool or piece of hardware and had no way to get a new one but order it. I guess I could have ubered to the store but there are times when you don't even know the exact part # or thing you need and you're guessing sizes... thats when a 2nd car is really necessary.
Appreciate 0