E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > stock DME load limits hindering piggyback potential?

01-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #89
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
The problems you speak of are not uncommon to any platform. As previously explained in another thread, any flash tune will be subject to problems when the manufacturer updates the ECU. I could have asked my dealership not to update my firmware but while I am in warranty, I want to keep up with the latest BMW software. After the warranty is over, I won't be updating the ECU nearly as much.

Concerning the methanol comments, my personal opinion is that methanol is not to be taken lightly and cannot be relied on from day-to-day basis. As previously discussed, methanol is only for the most advanced users who are fully aware of the risks involved and know what they are doing. Quit preaching methanol left and right!

Finally, I will repeat this time and again: Saying that someone is wrong is OK in those forums for as long as a reasonable and understandable explanation is provided. Blatantly saying: "You are talking smack and you don't understand anything" helps no one!
This doesnt take away from the fact that you are constantly in and out of threads trashing piggybacks. If you dont like em, dont buy em. Stay out. You dont contribute anything but clutter. Most of the time you are incorrect and your negative accusations turn out to be incorrect. You trash them like they are so problematic, yet you have your own problems on your tuning platform. Life isnt perfect. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #90
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spacegrau 2009 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
They will also have to improve boost control strategies (make throttle less reactive to overshoot). And get rid of the airflow targeting logic that drops boost when it could/should be raised. And visa versa. I suspect one reason we dont see any high boost flashes is that the boost targets would climb too high in warm days or after a long sustained full boost pull (when IAT gets high). Fundamental issues when making good safe power is more important than trying to make Xhp in all conditions.
You guys need to read this carefully.

If you don't know, the stock tuning tries to maintain power under varying conditions. As it gets hotter, the DME actually raises boost to maintain 300hp.

This is a fundamental feature of the DME architecture. It is designed for consistency, not maximum power.

The piggybacks take control of boost, fuel, etc. with the goal of maximum performance for the conditions, not consistency. You will make less power on hot days, and more power on cold days. Same is true with varying fuel quality.

Changing how the DME works is simply not as simple as reflashing the DME to resize and tune existing tables.

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #91
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Concerning the methanol comments, my personal opinion is that methanol is not to be taken lightly and cannot be relied on from day-to-day basis. As previously discussed, methanol is only for the most advanced users who are fully aware of the risks involved and know what they are doing. Quit preaching methanol left and right!
If don't want to run methanol (maybe because of flash integration issues), you won't be running 18+psig and won't be making big power.

That is fine. But for those that want to run the maximum possible performance, methanol is required.

Personally, I share your reluctance to run meth. I'd be ecstatic with 400whp with a tune and bolt ons with 93oct and more if I want to run racegas.

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #92
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Piggy's have proven to be the fastest at the track, low to mid 11's in the quarter mile with 120+mph traps so I don't think there is much to this..

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #93
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
You guys need to read this carefully.

If you don't know, the stock tuning tries to maintain power under varying conditions. As it gets hotter, the DME actually raises boost to maintain 300hp.

This is a fundamental feature of the DME architecture. It is designed for consistency, not maximum power.

The piggybacks take control of boost, fuel, etc. with the goal of maximum performance for the conditions, not consistency. You will make less power on hot days, and more power on cold days. Same is true with varying fuel quality.

Changing how the DME works is simply not as simple as reflashing the DME to resize and tune existing tables.
What about all the jb3 records which use the same logic that the factory dme uses? Maxium power not tunes not working?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #94
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep

It should also be mentioned the even the stock tune will knock, just as my as any flash can knock. There is no perfect solution unless your tuned extremely conservative. STI/EVo etc all knock stock as well. The best thing you can do is limit the amount of knock and have a process to determine a happy medium. I think the stock DME logic is ass-backwards but thats cause im used to tuning stand-alone systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #95
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
What about all the jb3 records which use the same logic that the factory dme uses? Maxium power not tunes not working?
The JB3 does more than scale up the factory boost target. The JB4 is a further step from the stock DME logic.

Maybe you should read this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345306

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #96
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
It should also be mentioned the even the stock tune will knock, just as my as any flash can knock. There is no perfect solution unless your tuned extremely conservative. STI/EVo etc all knock stock as well. The best thing you can do is limit the amount of knock and have a process to determine a happy medium. I think the stock DME logic is ass-backwards but thats cause im used to tuning stand-alone systems.
So what happens when a protuned COBB 335i gets a tank of crappy gas?

This the main reason I think autotuned piggies are superior at this point. They will give you the maximum safe tune all the time for the specific conditions your engine is under. Not just the conditions when you were on the dyno being protuned...

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #97
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep

Quote:

This the main reason I think autotuned piggies are superior at this point. They will give you the maximum safe tune all the time for the specific conditions your engine is under. Not just the conditions when you were on the dyno being protuned...
I'm curious as well. If it works like a standalone its going to knock assuming ignition timing is already on the verge of knocking.
Its the ignition timing is conservative enough, it might have enough play.

It will respond like the factory DME and cut back ignition from what i understand.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #98
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
The JB3 did not use the stock logic for temperature compensation. It increased boost during colder weather and reduced it during hot weather. It just didn't do it enough to fully overcome the OEM logic.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #99
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:

I know what it wouldn't do: lower the boost

It's obvious that factory DME logic great for low output levels where knock isn't an issue. Where achieving the rated 300-340 horsepower (through various combinations of boost/fuel/timing) is the primary goal regardless of temp, humidity, baro, fuel quality, etc,. This dynamic behavior is courtesy of the DME's internal combustion model that those Germans sent a lot of time/resources developing. And it works as well (or better) than anyone could expect it to work.

The problem, as we have all discovered by now, is that this goal is contradictory to what what most of us want in a tuned car. The idea of tuning is make as much safe power as the conditions allow. Not to attempt to make what is too much power when conditions take a turn for the worse and too little when conditions get favorable.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #100
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The JB3 does more than scale up the factory boost target. The JB4 is a further step from the stock DME logic.

Maybe you should read this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345306
I think you should read up on how each tune works. Aside from running more boost the jb3 did nothign different. Same af ratio, shit timing, more boost.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #101
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Same thing that happens when a stock car gets shit gas. Autotune works based off knock.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #102
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB3 did not use the stock logic for temperature compensation. It increased boost during colder weather and reduced it during hot weather. It just didn't do it enough to fully overcome the OEM logic.

Mike
BULLSHTI, should i quote all the times terry said "map up" to people in cold weather or on meth. Try again.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #103
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

It's obvious that factory DME logic great for low output levels where knock isn't an issue. Where achieving the rated 300-340 horsepower (through various combinations of boost/fuel/timing) is the primary goal regardless of temp, humidity, baro, fuel quality, etc,. This dynamic behavior is courtesy of the DME's internal combustion model that those Germans sent a lot of time/resources developing. And it works as well (or better) than anyone could expect it to work.

The problem, as we have all discovered by now, is that this goal is contradictory to what what most of us want in a tuned car. The idea of tuning is make as much safe power as the conditions allow. Not to attempt to make what is too much power when conditions take a turn for the worse and too little when conditions get favorable.

Shiv
Actually the stock dme would lower boost....this can be simply vertified by looking at load level mapping and what affects them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #104
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
HAhahah! So who is spreading misinformation here again????
      01-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #105
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

This thread is gonna quickly turn to a tuner war. Im over those by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #106
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Actually the stock dme would lower boost....this can be simply vertified by looking at load level mapping and what affects them.
Come on man. I've looked at can dme boost target at varying levels of knock activity. And no appreciable drop in target. The big drop in boost comes in the form of a limp mode caused by glow ignition/knock codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #107
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Come on man. I've looked at can dme boost target at varying levels of knock activity. And no appreciable drop in target. The big drop in boost comes in the form of a limp mode caused by glow ignition/knock codes.
No you looked at what the dme thinks when its fed bullshit signals to keep happy. Maybe ask cobb about this as they already made this claim.

Found it:
The factory targets roughly 135; from the factory, the actual "requested" value can get knocked down when the ECU feels it is necessary It's entirely possible that if knock is induced over a long enough period that the ECU will change it's control/response strategy from "reduce timing in the noisy cylinders" to "reduce load requested to reduce cylinder pressures".

Regards,
Lance
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #108
135i
Cobb Stage 2+/ICarbon/HPF/Stett
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Hope things stay civil..

Shiv - I would simply like the issue of only monitoring cylinder 1 on the PROcede unit vs all and if that is the best approach for monitoring knock events and pulling timing.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #109
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i View Post
Hope things stay civil..

Shiv - I would simply like the issue of only monitoring cylinder 1 on the PROcede unit vs all and if that is the best approach for monitoring knock events and pulling timing.

Thank you
+ 1

I'm interested to hear about this too

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #110
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The DME sees knock with no piggyback interference. If it was going to lower it's boost setpoint you would see it.

Cobb saying "It's entirely possible" that the DME shifts strategy doesn't mean it does.

All evidence points to it pulling timing until it gets to the point it goes into limp mode and cuts all boost.

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0