E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: E9X ACC Retrofit



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-17-2020, 05:25 AM   #177
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Ista
Hi unrulyteach, earlier I obtained my car electrical diagram, maintenance guideline from newTIS.info.

Ista ? Which website is it ?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #178
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Hi unrulyteach, earlier I obtained my car electrical diagram, maintenance guideline from newTIS.info.

Ista ? Which website is it ?
Oh ! Got it.

https://aos.bmwgroup.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #179
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Ya, I did some precaution before flashing DME ie: backup the ECU program and clone a spare ECU using Ktag.

After successfully flash and update the ecu software, problem still the same but came out 2x fault codes :

62D4 LDM: Engine management: interface
3179 Message (request, wheel torque, drivetrain, 0xBF) incorrect, receiver
DME, transmitter LDM

I am going to buy a 2nd unit LDM module to swap. Hopefully is a faulty LDM problem. Otherwise, I am totally lost..
Update ! Today fault codes 62D4 & 3179 problem have been resolved. It was due to PT Can Bus tapping problem. I think it is technically important for 4cyl BMW ACC retrofit ie:

4) PT Can Bus network require 120 ohm resistor end to end to form a 60 ohm network (Pic.1). The PT Can Bus termination resistor was in the module for older BMW model ie: EKPS & DSC. Unlike 6cyl BMW PT Can Bus layout (Pic.1), they have EKPS, Active Steering, Adaptive Headlight etc in the network. For ACC & LDM to tap out PT Can Bus from DSC may not have problem. But 4cyl BMW has lesser module in PT Can Bus network (Pic.3). Just tapping out from DSC may have PT Can Bus errors due to network end to end length. I modified to Pic.4 ie: cut thru PT Can Bus at DSC therefore DSC still the end node.

Unfortunately after fault codes cleared, my car ACC cruise control still cannot maintain speed.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #180
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Nickco43's Avatar
941
Rep
1,586
Posts

Drives: 11 BMW 535i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Update ! Today fault codes 62D4 & 3179 problem have been resolved. It was due to PT Can Bus tapping problem. I think it is technically important for 4cyl BMW ACC retrofit ie:

4) PT Can Bus network require 120 ohm resistor end to end to form a 60 ohm network (Pic.1). The PT Can Bus termination resistor was in the module for older BMW model ie: EKPS & DSC. Unlike 6cyl BMW PT Can Bus layout (Pic.1), they have EKPS, Active Steering, Adaptive Headlight etc in the network. For ACC & LDM to tap out PT Can Bus from DSC may not have problem. But 4cyl BMW has lesser module in PT Can Bus network (Pic.3). Just tapping out from DSC may have PT Can Bus errors due to network end to end length. I modified to Pic.4 ie: cut thru PT Can Bus at DSC therefore DSC still the end node.

Unfortunately after fault codes cleared, my car ACC cruise control still cannot maintain speed.
Its strange how there are so many differences between 4 and 6 cylinder E90s for ACC.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #181
shannon1
Private First Class
shannon1's Avatar
Australia
70
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wow. Good work in figuring that out.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #182
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Unfortunately, my ACC still cannot hold speed

Hopefully is due to I DIY the rear wheel speed sensor signals. Bcos kombi cluster taking reading from rear left speed sensor, cruise control taking from rear right.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #183
Mr.Retrofit
I wonder how hard that would be...
Ireland
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Unfortunately, my ACC still cannot hold speed

Hopefully is due to I DIY the rear wheel speed sensor signals. Bcos kombi cluster taking reading from rear left speed sensor, cruise control taking from rear right.
Time to change the wheel bearing and sensor??
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #184
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Time to change the wheel bearing and sensor??
I am not convinced yet.
Normally DME controls speed thru throttle actuator valve in Cruise control mode. I have monitored using INPA after ACC cruise speed set, throttle actuator valve no activity at all (0.7v). I afraid LDM is not compatible to 4cyl DME (MV946, MV1746). 6cyl has DME MSD70/80, MSV70/80.
Let me dig out more...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #185
Mr.Retrofit
I wonder how hard that would be...
Ireland
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
I am not convinced yet.
Normally DME controls speed thru throttle actuator valve in Cruise control mode. I have monitored using INPA after ACC cruise speed set, throttle actuator valve no activity at all (0.7v). I afraid LDM is not compatible to 4cyl DME (MV946, MV1746). 6cyl has DME MSD70/80, MSV70/80.
Let me dig out more...
Have you something that can analyse the CAN signals? Perhaps you might see the packets from the LDM requesting the DME to increase engine speed. At least you would know that it is working correctly then?
After that, it would be a matter of figuring out what the CAN packets from the 4cyl cruise are and comparing them, if the packets are different then perhaps a CAN injector circuit would need to be built.

I wish I could be of more use but I am still in the 'hunting' stage of my project BUT my CAN analyser should be here in a week...
Appreciate 1
hupchye18.00

      10-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #186
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Have you something that can analyse the CAN signals? Perhaps you might see the packets from the LDM requesting the DME to increase engine speed. At least you would know that it is working correctly then?
After that, it would be a matter of figuring out what the CAN packets from the 4cyl cruise are and comparing them, if the packets are different then perhaps a CAN injector circuit would need to be built.

I wish I could be of more use but I am still in the 'hunting' stage of my project BUT my CAN analyser should be here in a week...
Good idea ! I will do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #187
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Have you something that can analyse the CAN signals? Perhaps you might see the packets from the LDM requesting the DME to increase engine speed. At least you would know that it is working correctly then?
After that, it would be a matter of figuring out what the CAN packets from the 4cyl cruise are and comparing them, if the packets are different then perhaps a CAN injector circuit would need to be built.

I wish I could be of more use but I am still in the 'hunting' stage of my project BUT my CAN analyser should be here in a week...
Hi mate, since I already retrofit ACC to my car halfway, there is no way for me to get the CanBus packets from the 4cyl original DSC to DME MV1746 for basic cruise control.
Let's work together to solve this last piece of the puzzle for 4cyl ACC retrofit ie: I get the CanBus packets from LDM to DME & you get the CanBus packets from original DSC to DME ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:05 AM   #188
Mr.Retrofit
I wonder how hard that would be...
Ireland
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Hi mate, since I already retrofit ACC to my car halfway, there is no way for me to get the CanBus packets from the 4cyl original DSC to DME MV1746 for basic cruise control.
Let's work together to solve this last piece of the puzzle for 4cyl ACC retrofit ie: I get the CanBus packets from LDM to DME & you get the CanBus packets from original DSC to DME ?
Yes, of course!
I am hoping to have my CAN analyser here sometime next week. I've used packet sniffers before so have some experience but I plan on using SavvyCAN so there will be a bit of a learning curve with that but hopefully, it won't all take too long to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #189
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Yes, of course!
I am hoping to have my CAN analyser here sometime next week. I've used packet sniffers before so have some experience but I plan on using SavvyCAN so there will be a bit of a learning curve with that but hopefully, it won't all take too long to figure out.
Hi, since you use SavvyCAN, attached E9x DBC file from github may help you speed up in cruise control msg ID searching/filtering.
Attached Files
File Type: zip opendbc-BMW-E8x-E9x-master.zip (3.3 KB, 5 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #190
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Yes, of course!
I am hoping to have my CAN analyser here sometime next week. I've used packet sniffers before so have some experience but I plan on using SavvyCAN so there will be a bit of a learning curve with that but hopefully, it won't all take too long to figure out.
From the DBC file interpreted PT CAN Bus Msg ID, 4x related to cruise control :

Msg ID Msg Name
0x0AA AccPedal [ACC Cruise Control $541]
0x194 CruiseControl [Command/Msg from SZL]
0x200 CruiseControlStatus [Cruise Control $540]
0x193 DynamicCruiseControlStatus [Cruise Control with Brake $544]

If I understand correctly, 4cyl BMW DME understand Msg ID 0x200 and may not responds to Msg ID 0x0AA & 0x194.
Let me try out and see...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:02 AM   #191
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Yes, of course!
I am hoping to have my CAN analyser here sometime next week. I've used packet sniffers before so have some experience but I plan on using SavvyCAN so there will be a bit of a learning curve with that but hopefully, it won't all take too long to figure out.
Hi, what CAN analyser hardware interface you will be using ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #192
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Have you something that can analyse the CAN signals? Perhaps you might see the packets from the LDM requesting the DME to increase engine speed. At least you would know that it is working correctly then?
After that, it would be a matter of figuring out what the CAN packets from the 4cyl cruise are and comparing them, if the packets are different then perhaps a CAN injector circuit would need to be built.

I wish I could be of more use but I am still in the 'hunting' stage of my project BUT my CAN analyser should be here in a week...
I foresee if 4cyl DME not compatible to accept CAN packets form LDM for 0x0AA ACCPedal and 0x193 DynamicCruiseControlStatus, like you said, a CAN injector circuit (CAN Bus Bridge/ Translator) would need to be built between current PT-CAN Bus and LDM.
Since PT-CAN Bus original protocol/ Msg ID pattern from LDM might need to be altered, I am thinking ... whether to program the CAN Bus Bridge/ Translator to accommodate similar to Stop & Go function.

Therefore, today I tested with LDM module with custom coding :

V_ABSCHALT_KMH (CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH-OFF SPEED IN KM/H) 0 km/h
V_ABSCHALT_MPH (CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH-OFF SPEED IN M/H) 0 mph

Result : When ACC ON at 50km/h and distance set to closest (1 bar), object/ car detected in front, Orange color car symbol appeared on Cluster, DSC brakes On, car slow down, then followed by Red color car symbol, car speed at approx 15km/h, LDM fault code 62DA - (LDM: Control module: safety cutout, drive) cuts in and disable the DSC brakes and ACC.

It looks to me there is a possibility of Stop & Go if reprogram the LDM CAN Bus Msg. And of course is for experimental and more testing require.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #193
Mr.Retrofit
I wonder how hard that would be...
Ireland
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Hi, what CAN analyser hardware interface you will be using ?
Macchina M2, hopefully here early next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #194
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retrofit View Post
Macchina M2, hopefully here early next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:15 AM   #195
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
From the DBC file interpreted PT CAN Bus Msg ID, 4x related to cruise control :

Msg ID Msg Name
0x0AA AccPedal [ACC Cruise Control $541]
0x194 CruiseControl [Command/Msg from SZL]
0x200 CruiseControlStatus [Cruise Control $540]
0x193 DynamicCruiseControlStatus [Cruise Control with Brake $544]

If I understand correctly, 4cyl BMW DME understand Msg ID 0x200 and may not responds to Msg ID 0x0AA & 0x194.
Let me try out and see...
Hi, attached CAN packets was sniffed on my car's PT-CAN bus using Python program and cheap ELM327 OBD2 adapter. It is confirmed that ACC use Msg ID 0x0AA and 0x194 to control.
Attached Files
File Type: txt TEST.txt (38.4 KB, 3 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:17 AM   #196
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Using setting

CAN bus: 11-bit, 500.00 kb/s (ISO 15765-4)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:08 AM   #197
hupchye
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
18
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Seems like my 4cyl DME MEV1746 is not response to ACC Msg ID 0x0AA (9 signals) whereby DCC Msg ID 0x193 have 4 signals and CC Msg ID 0x200 only have 3 signals. Next I will:

1) coding to VO $544, test drive and sniff on PT-CAN Bus (Msg ID 0x193)
then
2) coding to VO $540, test drive and sniff on PT-CAN Bus (Msg ID 0x200)
- 6cyl DSC may not work on VO$540, I may need to swap back the 4cyl DSC

before making the final conclusion.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #198
mtman
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW e91 pre LCI
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Slovenia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
I did quite a survey in sourcing 6cyl DSC.
I found all sellers in ebay advertise with the p/n of the "control module" & the "pump" bcos thats what they can see from the item labels, while in BMW parts catalog is the p/n for the whole DSC pump unit.
For example: I bought the 6cyl DSC from ebay with p/n 6775388, 6775389. And p/n in BMW parts catalog is 34516775396. They are no relation at all.
Eventually, I sourced with few conditions :
1) with keyword "E90 DSC Hydro Braking Pump"
2) part dismantled from 323i, 325i, 325d, 330i, 330d, 335i, 335d with engine type N52, N52N, M57N2, N54
3) countercheck (if possible) this DSC used wheel speed sensor 34526870075, 34526870076 & 34526870077 in BMW parts catalog
The older the part, the least expensive they are.
Hope this helps.
I went trough same painfull research and realise that:
To simplify... 6zyl dsc have a notch in the ecu edge (like two rectangulars), while 4zyl dsc have straight rectangular (like 1 rectengular) ecu.

Hope that helps in future serching.
MT
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST