E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rate my wash method/products!

11-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Rate my wash method/products!

Alright so I have been hand washing my car for just over a year and a half. When I first started washing my car I washed it just like I washed my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, one bucket and one mitt for everything. I've come a long way since then.

My current method is the 2 bucket method with Grit Guards in each bucket. I use Meguiars Gold Class wash mixed the way it says on the bottle. I have a few different rags/mitts for different areas of the car. I use a glove for my wheels and some Meguiars Hot Rim. Then I have a 100% sheep skin mitt that I use on my paint. Then I have some old microfiber towels to get door jams/where ever else.

First I start by rinsing my car thoroughly. I spend a little more time on the front of the car to help soak into the bug splatters. At least that's what I'm thinking when I do it. I hit each rim one at a time with Hot Shot, I rinse the whole car again every time I rinse the wheel so I don't get water marks. Then I take my sheep skin mitt and wash just the roof of the car. Then I rinse the car to make sure the soap doesn't dry or any of the water dry to leave water marks. Next I wash from the top of the windows down to about the door handles all the way around and rinse. Then the trunk and whole rear end and rinse again. Then the hood, grill, and front quarter panels and rinse twice to make sure I get it clean. Following all of this is drying with a waffle weave towel.

My questions:

1: I think I may also be worrying too much about water drying on my car while i wash it. By the time I finish I have probably rinsed the whole car at least 20 times. Can I wash my whole car, cover the whole thing in soap, at one time and rinse once? Or would I run the risk of leaving the soap on the car too long?

2: I also use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. Before reapply the wax I know I need to wash the car, but should I clay bar the whole car again?

I'll probably think of more questions later, But if any of you guys think I should change something in my methods let me know.

Thanks, Dylan
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Far from a pro, but I hit the wheels first without rinsing the whole car (Chem Guys wheel cleaner spray, then bucket wash with it's own bucket). Realistically the rest of your rinses really depend on how fast the water is evaporating. Can you get it in the shade at a cool time of day?

When I dry, i hit the whole car very quickly with one towel just to get the major water off, then I spray with spray sealant and do a final dry with another towel. Then hit jambs.

You can "feel" the paint with some spray sealant or quick detailer on it, if it's smooth you don't necessarily need to clay bar again. Then review the paint for scratches and consider polishing (or compounding before that if necessary) prior to waxing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Far from a pro, but I hit the wheels first without rinsing the whole car (Chem Guys wheel cleaner spray, then bucket wash with it's own bucket). Realistically the rest of your rinses really depend on how fast the water is evaporating. Can you get it in the shade at a cool time of day?

When I dry, i hit the whole car very quickly with one towel just to get the major water off, then I spray with spray sealant and do a final dry with another towel. Then hit jambs.

You can "feel" the paint with some spray sealant or quick detailer on it, if it's smooth you don't necessarily need to clay bar again. Then review the paint for scratches and consider polishing (or compounding before that if necessary) prior to waxing.
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend chemical guys products? I see a lot of people talk about them and would like to try some out but I would have to order from online somewhere.

If so, what products would you recommend me getting to start with? I do have some of there microfiber and drying towels that I love.

Thanks, Dylan
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
I actually use the chem guys stuff more because I can get gallon jugs on Amazon for a decent price. I then fill the nicer commercial sprayers from the gallons.

I've started leaning towards Meguiars commercial lines for everything they make as a good product for the value.

This is a list of my setup from earlier this year. I would go Meg's commercial line for compound and polish if doing it again.

I've got the HF 6.5" DA and roller stool
Griot's Clay in 8 oz jars and interior spray detailer
Viking Waffle Weave Towels
2 Buckets with Grit Guards

Chem Guys:
HexLogic Pads
Microfiber Towels
Wheel & Rim Cleaner
V07 - Spray Sealant/Detailer
Synthetic Quick Detailer
Compound/Polishes: V32, V34, V36, V38 (Would probably swap back to Meg's standard stuff next time)
Leather Care Cleaner and Conditioner

Meguiars:
Car Wash Soap
M20 Sealant (Base)
Yellow Wax 26 (Layered over sealant)
X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towels
Tire Gel
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
My questions:

1: I think I may also be worrying too much about water drying on my car while i wash it. By the time I finish I have probably rinsed the whole car at least 20 times. Can I wash my whole car, cover the whole thing in soap, at one time and rinse once? Or would I run the risk of leaving the soap on the car too long?

2: I also use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. Before reapply the wax I know I need to wash the car, but should I clay bar the whole car again?

I'll probably think of more questions later, But if any of you guys think I should change something in my methods let me know.

Thanks, Dylan
I'd say you're off to a good start using two buckets and grit guards.

1. I would not wash the whole car before rinsing. I prefer to wash and rinse the car by panel. Roof (wash & rinse), Hood (wash and rinse), then across the driver side, trunk, and up the passenger side, ending with the front bumper.

Once it's all washed and rinsed, I do another rinse of the whole car without any pressure - look at this video on the "Sheeting method" which helps get rid of water droples - and then dry gently with a Detailed Image Waffle Weave towel (they're the best, I swear by them).

2. You do not need to clay bar before waxing. I actually would avoid clay bar regularly. Even with a mild clay you can introduce imperfections easily enough that I barely ever do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend chemical guys products? I see a lot of people talk about them and would like to try some out but I would have to order from online somewhere.

If so, what products would you recommend me getting to start with? I do have some of there microfiber and drying towels that I love.

Thanks, Dylan
I use CG Maxi Suds instead of Gold Class. I'm not saying it's a huge improvement over Meguiar's, but it is a better value (a gallon lasts up to 4x longer for only 2x the cost, and it smells like cherries).

This image here is from after applying CG JetSeal and topping it with Poorboys Natty Blue

However, since then I've moved onto Blackfire Wet Diamond. It's a thin sealant that goes on and off very easily and lasts longer than waxing. You can also put wax on top to add some 'wet' look.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

This is what I do twice a year. Once at the beginning of the summer season and once at the beginning of the winter season.

1. Wash car with dish soap (to remove all oils and wax) and rinse.
2. Spray IronX all over the car, everywhere and rinse. (even a few squirts in the mouth to clean the any built up plaque my dental hygienist might have missed)
3. Remove wheels, and apply rim cleaner and clean wheels. Apply degreaser to tires and scrub the oils out of them until no brown foam if formed. Rinse and put wheels back on.
4. Clay bar paint and glass surfaces.
5. Wash car with car wash shampoo.
6. Polish all painted and glass surfaces and wheels.
7. Apply wax to all painted and glass surfaces.
8. Apply Opti-seal Sealant to all paint and glass surfaces, including wheels. (this stuff is amazing, car will shine for months)

Follow with in between washes

General Washing:
1. Rinse car.
2. Wash Wheels/tires and rinse
3. Wash all top surfaces (Roof, windshield, hood, rear window, top of trunk) and rinse
4. Wash sides from top to side markers, and rinse
5. Wash front bumper and rear bumper and back of trunk, and rinse.
6. Wash sides below the side markers and rinse.
7. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax.

One bucket with rinse guard. Water gets changed twice.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
bobdrake
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I wonder, have you washed your car with your hands? maybe it will be a good idea to buy a small pressure washer to make this process faster. It will not damage your car and you can use the chemicals to wash it better.
      04-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
punnzzells
Canada
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E91 Wagon

......ech2o and the big red sponge.....done.
Appreciate 0