E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Filler Flap Actuator replacement

07-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

DIY: Filler Flap Actuator replacement

I recently purchased an 09 e92. The previous owner forced the gas cap opened when car was locked and broke the rod which holds the cap locked. I decided to put together my first DIY on how to replace the actuator. My actuator was working just fine but the rod was broken. BMW does not sell just the rod but rather the whole assembly for $62.67 with tax. Part # 67116985880.

Heres a quick DIY.

The part we are replacing is number 5 on the diagram.

Here is what it looks like.

Start by removing the battery cover, the T40 screw circled in red, and all the tabs (4) holding that lining in place.

Then remove the center lining in the trunk with covers the electronics.

Now remove the four tabs shown with arrows with your hands or a flat screwdriver. Lift the tabs circled and remove the screw inside. Lift the piece and set aside.

You can now pull the lining off the side of the car and find this. Remove the two tabs circled in red to be able to pull back that lining to access the actuator

Loosen the two T20 screws which are hold the actuator in place. By doing this, you can just slide back the actuator enough to fit the screws through the larger opening making the actuator fall off.

To make the job easier, you can remove the three T20 screws and pull the white box forward so you can slide your have in there to get to the actuator plug.

This is what the plug looks like. Just press down on the ridges and slide the pieces apart. Remove the actuator and set aside.

Heres the difference between the old actuator and the new one. If you notice, the old one has a piece of the rod missing which is the part that slides open and hold the door shut.

Now go to the gas tank and remove this peice by just getting a small flat screw driver and turning it counter clock wise.

You will end up with a bigger hole to slide the rod through it. This makes it cake. I was trying to slide the rod in by fishing it out not knowing this piece comes off.

You can now just go back in the trunk and slide the new actuator in. I suggest plug it in and then unlock the car. This will activate the actuator to slide the rod out further making it easier to slide the rod into the opening of the gas tank.

Screw back all the things in reverse order and you are all set. Job took me about an hour and half. Very simple and nothing to major.

Hope you find it useful. Good luck
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Cynicc
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Awesome DIY. Just did this earlier and it was really easy. Thank you for posting this.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Thanks for the DIY. It's always good to know as much little DIY's about the car as possible. Good job. Too bad you had to spend $63 for the whole part when only a small piece broke off.

-------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicc View Post
Awesome DIY. Just did this earlier and it was really easy. Thank you for posting this.
No problem. Glad I was able to help a member out.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Coupe4Me View Post
Thanks for the DIY. It's always good to know as much little DIY's about the car as possible. Good job. Too bad you had to spend $63 for the whole part when only a small piece broke off.
Thank you for the kind words. I was hoping I can buy just the rod but yes, I had to replace the whole module.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
tvnguyen224
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Many thanks for instruction

I just well done my replacement following your instruction. Very Helpful post in forum. I bought whole set actuator but I just replace rod only so save my time. I hope a rob has been made by metal so hard to break off.
Thank you
Ryan

Last edited by tvnguyen224; 05-25-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvnguyen224 View Post
I just well done my replacement following your instruction. Very Helpful post in forum. I bought whole set actuator but I just replace rod only so save my time. I hope a rob has been made by metal so hard to break off.
Thank you
Ryan
Glad I was able to help. I agree with you on making the rod metal or maybe just a bit thicker so it isn't so easy to break.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
SGM26
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D M-Sport Coupe

Thanks for the guide!

I think my actuator rod is broken too (it still moves but it doesn't come out of the opening).

This is really going to save me time and a few headaches!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
dlwmacgregor
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I just experienced the same problem with my 2008 328i.
We have had snow and freezing rain in the past few days and the fuel door would not pop open.
It was warmer today (32 degrees F) and after leaving it all day I just tried it again and it popped open.
The only evidence of ice I could find was near the hinges on the right side of the door.
I sprayed the hell out of the pin, hinges and latch with WD40.
Hopefully it won't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Luftfederman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe 6M/T

Garage List
2003 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Thank you for this DIY.

The piece removed from the gas cap side to make the hole larger was one key to success. By the way it is a ¼ turn to come out for anyone trying it next.

One key to note is that the actuator finger (the long black plastic thing that breaks and shame on BMW for not selling it as a replacement part!!) does have an orientation because of the jog in it. From the actuator motor to the gas cap hole you are aiming for it jogs down.

It is hard to hit the hole when you can't see it. I ended up making tool to guide it in to place. My tool was a copper wire with a helix at the end to hold the end of the actuator finger. I stuck it in from the exterior side, put the actuator finger in it and pulled the wire while I pushed on the actuator motor then slid the screws into the slots.

I do think it would be feasible to just pull down on the actuator finger to snap it out of place and then pop a new one up into place without even removing the motor (which is why they should just sell the actuator finger!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #11
dlwmacgregor
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I solved this problem ultimately by having a 2-car garage built.
I'm in heaven.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17294.00