E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Question regarding new motor under extended warranty.

12-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #67
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
Yeah, from all the research I've done throughout this process, it's not a term I've seen at all. Hoping someone hear can provide some knowledge.
If they still have the oil pan open for the warranty company to check out, see if they can take any pictures of what they are referencing and post them here. Very curious to see if this is bearing related.
So, BMW called me and told me that the warranty company will only cover costs up to the amount I paid for the car ($17k). The cost to put the new motor in will be $24k. Considering I don't have an extra $7k laying around, that isn't an option for me. My other option is, the guy at BMW found a used one that they could put in and the cost would probably fall under what the warranty will pay, but it has 66k miles on it, mine has 50k. So, that option really sucks too.

I've also contacted a lemon law attorney to see what options I have there, considering I bought the car a little more than a month ago (dealer has had it for almost two weeks). Maybe I can wipe my hands clean of this situation and start fresh.

Well we will see what happens. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it.
Looks like CA lemon law is 30+ days in dealer's possession, but it might not apply because you have an extended warranty. Based on the little bit of reading I did, extended warranties are actually legally considered "service contracts" which aren't covered by lemon law. Good call on contacting an attorney though, they can tell you for sure
Yeah that would make sense. I'm gonna give the lawyer a call back on Monday and see what options I even have. Either way, they found a motor with same miles as mine, and the quote to do the job will be under the maximum amount the warranty company will cover, so I will probably just have them do that so I can get this over with. Been a stressful couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #68
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Yeah that would make sense. I'm gonna give the lawyer a call back on Monday and see what options I even have. Either way, they found a motor with same miles as mine, and the quote to do the job will be under the maximum amount the warranty company will cover, so I will probably just have them do that so I can get this over with. Been a stressful couple of weeks.
Hang in there bud looks like there is light at the end. Lucky u had coverage.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #69
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
Hang in there bud looks like there is light at the end. Lucky u had coverage.
Thanks, man. Yeah definitely seeing the light. If I didn't have the warranty I would be royally screwed.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      12-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #70
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got incredible news from my SA.

He brought the situation to his GM. They discussed it, and considering the mileage and age of my car, they are dropping a brand new motor in, all from BMW's bank account. My warranty will remain intact because they won't be using it. It's been a hectic couple of weeks, but looks like everything is going to work out perfectly. Still in shock.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #71
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:

He brought the situation to his GM. They discussed it, and considering the mileage and age of my car, they are dropping a brand new motor in, all from BMW's bank account. My warranty will remain intact because they won't be using it. It's been a hectic couple of weeks, but looks like everything is going to work out perfectly. Still in shock.
Pretty awesome of BMW to goodwill it. You owe your SA a nice bottle of booze or something.

See if you can help pay for it, as that might get you a 1 year warranty on the parts, some companies that I worked for if the customer didn't help pay a little bit meant the parts installed had no warranty. Not sure if BMW operates this way

This is the best possible outcome.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #72
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
Quote:

Pretty awesome of BMW to goodwill it. You owe your SA a nice bottle of booze or something.

See if you can help pay for it, as that might get you a 1 year warranty on the parts, some companies that I worked for if the customer didn't help pay a little bit meant the parts installed had no warranty. Not sure if BMW operates this way

BMW NA warranties all parts/accessories that it sells for two years / unlimited miles.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #73
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BMW NA warranties all parts/accessories that it sells for two years / unlimited miles.
Read what you wrote "what it sells". A goodwill repair isn't a sale
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #74
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If they aren't warrantying the parts because it's a goodwill repair, I highly doubt BMW is going to offer any warranty at all even if OP pays for "part of it".

Either way, OP has an extended warranty which will still cover the new engine, so does this really matter?

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #75
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If they aren't warrantying the parts because it's a goodwill repair, I highly doubt BMW is going to offer any warranty at all even if OP pays for "part of it".

Either way, OP has an extended warranty which will still cover the new engine, so does this really matter?
1. Have you worked in the auto industry before? I have, 4 out of the 4 high end auto manufacturers worked like this

2. Yes because what happens if the same thing happens again?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #76
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Question regarding new motor under extended warranty.

Are you saying that BMW does actually offer this?

Say hypothetically, OP offered to pay for part of it in exchange for warranty coverage on it. How much would he have to pay (considering the total they told him for the repair was $24k)? He specifically said in one of his previous posts that he was "tight financially" and "relying on warranty to take care of this".

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #77
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

He said he likes Grey Goose, so I bought him a fat bottle of that.

The engine actually comes with its own two year warranty. So, all good there. Also, the extended warranty I purchased will remain intact.

Picked up the car a week ago and all is well. Now just breaking in the motor.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #78
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #79
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying that BMW does actually offer this?

Say hypothetically, OP offered to pay for part of it in exchange for warranty coverage on it. How much would he have to pay (considering the total they told him for the repair was $24k)? He specifically said in one of his previous posts that he was "tight financially" and "relying on warranty to take care of this".
I'm not saying BMW does, but other manufacturers do. There is not a set number but the customer contributing to the repair qualifies them for a warranty.

If the parts are completely goodwilled there would be no warranty.
Appreciate 0