E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need help with n54 shopping list

07-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
...and what is "done correctly"?
By someone who knows what they are doing, not Joe bloggs down the road who wants to have a go at DIY, lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I would leave the crank seal alone, unless it's leaking. If you want insurance, buy the aluminum cover that goes over the crank seal.
Well mine were leaking, Seals and Gaskets are common leak points,

From what I understand, the Crank seal plate is to prevent the belts from getting chewed up, it won't prevent leaks.

Gaskets and Seals will inevitably have to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #25
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
By someone who knows what they are doing, not Joe bloggs down the road who wants to have a go at DIY, lol
You missed the point. There is no "procedure" to follow for this, and there is no actual data that adding a sealant actually helps. If anything, it opens you up to further possible complications...
Too much sealant = gasket doesn't fit into the groove right.
Not enough sealant = what's the point?
Too much time from when sealant is applied and it starts to set up = gasket again doesn't sit in the groove right.
Not enough time for sealant to set up at all = gasket more likely to fall out during install...

Also, for all intents and purposes, the OP is "Joe bloggs down the road who wants to have a go at diy, lol."

There's no need to complicate this repair anymore than it is, which it really isn't.
Buy OEM parts from FCP.
Replace both the cover, gasket and bolts.
Clean the head mating surfaces really well.
Make sure the new gasket is seated properly in the new cover.
Carefully slide the cover into place, making sure the gasket doesn't get caught on anything.
Before threading in bolts, go around with a mirror and make sure the gasket is still seated properly.
Screw in bolts to finger tight.
Torque to proper value in proper sequence.
If it leaks again at some point, use FCP warranty to replace parts and repair again. It'll take you half the time the 2nd time around, if you still own the car at that point.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Quote:
I would leave the crank seal alone, unless it's leaking. If you want insurance, buy the aluminum cover that goes over the crank seal.
Well mine were leaking, Seals and Gaskets are common leak points,

From what I understand, the Crank seal plate is to prevent the belts from getting chewed up, it won't prevent leaks.

Gaskets and Seals will inevitably have to be replaced.
Correct. I'm saying that I would not replace a good crank seal. Typically speaking, this seal is good for a long time compared to the rear or when comparing it to the VC for example.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #27
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Correct. I'm saying that I would not replace a good crank seal. Typically speaking, this seal is good for a long time compared to the rear or when comparing it to the VC for example.
Yes true VCG and OFHG leak more often, but It's a good idea to get the seals checked over. Don't want any nasty surprises.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #28
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You missed the point. There is no "procedure" to follow for this, and there is no actual data that adding a sealant actually helps. If anything, it opens you up to further possible complications...
Too much time from when sealant is applied and it starts to set up = gasket again doesn't sit in the groove right.
Not enough time for sealant to set up at all = gasket more likely to fall out during install...

Also, for all intents and purposes, the OP is "Joe bloggs down the road who wants to have a go at diy, lol."

There's no need to complicate this repair anymore than it is, which it really isn't.
Buy OEM parts from FCP.
Carefully slide the cover into place, making sure the gasket doesn't get caught on anything.
Before threading in bolts, go around with a mirror and make sure the gasket is still seated properly.
If it leaks again at some point, use FCP warranty to replace parts and repair again. It'll take you half the time the 2nd time around, if you still own the car at that point.
Replacing Crank Seals might be a dead easy job for you, but not for someone like me,

I had both front and rear crank seals replaced at a garage because mine were leaking. Haven't had an issue since.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #29
Dukecity420
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus

Quote:
Uhmmm, do you know what's involved in replacing those? Definetly hold off until you look into it, unless you like pulling transmissions just for the hell of it.
There's also a very specific procedure for replacing the front, and I wouldn't recommend touching it unless it's actually leaking.
Lol don't worry I'm not doing any of this myself I just have to buy the parts for my mechanic.with my luck the engine would fall out and crush me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #30
Dukecity420
Rep

Quote:

Buy OEM parts from FCP.
Yeah thats a good point i won't use it I just added it because I need it to do my valve cover gasket on my focus thought you might have to do it on all cars but seems unnecessary. Thanks for the info and sharing your experience i appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #31
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

fyi the only thing missing from that inspection report is your social security number
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #32
Dukecity420
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
fyi the only thing missing from that inspection report is your social security number
Shit good point I've already ordered every do you know how to delete this post?
Appreciate 0