E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Is exterior "steam cleaning" safe for the car?

03-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is exterior "steam cleaning" safe for the car?

Sounds like magic, according to:
http://www.autocaremaster.com/service_steam.htm

Any thoughts/experience/guidance about this? Will it melt off the existing wax coat I have on the car? (Sounds like it might, if the steam is sooo hot... I read 330 F somewhere.)

I looked in the detailing sub-forum but there seem to be barely any references at all.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

In the engine bay maybe but never on any surface that's clearcoated.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

even in the engine bay you dont want to use steam or anything with water involved.

brushes and a degreaser/cleaner for the engine

i wouldnt steam the outside of the car eithers
      03-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Apparently you can use it on the interior too:

LOL.....steam cleaning. Yeah I've detailed semi's before, I'd really like to put that to the test on getting all the bugs and other crap thats on them.
      03-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I don't see the benefits of steam cleaning. It seems like the same or even more work than using a sponge with soap/water.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep

The claimed benefits are all listed at the link I sent...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The claimed benefits are all listed at the link I sent...
Those are not benefits! Kills bacteria?! LOL Who cares about bacteria on the exterior of our cars?! Also, this assumes there is bacteria on the car in the first place? Wouldn't soap also kill bacteria? Since when is soap a dangerous substance? Further, use of steam will just make the dirt drip down the sides of your car. I believe this process would take a lot longer than hand washing your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Those are not benefits! Kills bacteria?! LOL Who cares about bacteria on the exterior of our cars?! Also, this assumes there is bacteria on the car in the first place? Wouldn't soap also kill bacteria? Since when is soap a dangerous substance? Further, use of steam will just make the dirt drip down the sides of your car. I believe this process would take a lot longer than hand washing your car.
Not to mention every vid I've seen has been on a slightly clean or hardly dirty car. I've yet to see one that's caked in grime/mud/bugs, etc.

For $5-8K (what the system costs) I think I'll stick to my more than satisfactory hand washes.
      03-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Not to mention every vid I've seen has been on a slightly clean or hardly dirty car. I've yet to see one that's caked in grime/mud/bugs, etc.

For $5-8K (what the system costs) I think I'll stick to my more than satisfactory hand washes.
$5-8K???!!!! To the OP: there, that should knock that idea out of your system.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep

Uh, the web site says it's the same price as a normal car wash (I'm not buying a system!)

Haven't called to check, but was just hoping someone here would have some real experience rather than just conjecture.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

I have a cheaper steamer, i wouldn't recommend it for anything besides cleaning dirty hard parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Yea, I'm not sold on it. I'd stick with a traditional car wash.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
sb335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I wouldn't touch my car with that thing. I would however use it to clean my driveway.lol
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
I have a cheaper steamer, i wouldn't recommend it for anything besides cleaning dirty hard parts.
So was it a gift from your wife/GF?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
MiscExpense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez

Please don't get me wrong guys I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes.
I have to travel a lot and in some areas that are really limiting water consumption, professional pro detailers have turned to steaming and using a product like Optimum NO-Rinse. Check out autopia.org and search the topic they will give you all the answers you need. I personally have had my done this way and my homely e92 was being steam washed next to a F430, so I felt very comfortable about the safety of the process. From what I have read not all are using this process most use ONR (I do also), but the results are a normal clean on the exterior but fender wells and strut bars and non painted parts can look almost factory new. That’s my .02.

P.S. I'm no pro just like to tinker, and I bought one after the experience just for my fender wells and carpets. Mine was no where near 8K mine is very good quality and only paid $1,800, OP check the classifieds on autopia

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
waqastariq
Rep
Drives: Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Sounds like magic, according to:
http://www.autocaremaster.com/service_steam.htm

Any thoughts/experience/guidance about this? Will it melt off the existing wax coat I have on the car? (Sounds like it might, if the steam is sooo hot... I read 330 F somewhere.)

I looked in the detailing sub-forum but there seem to be barely any references at all.

Thanks!
Exterior car steam cleaning is absolutely safe for the car, I have been getting professional steam cleaning service from DetailXperts for years now they have franchises through US you should contact them to get a satisfactory job done!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Op get a VX5000 steam cleaner and call it a day. I have a steam cleaner and but I only use it for the interior of my car and of course my wife uses it around the house. I only paid $500 for mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #18
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Using dry steam vapour

A system that produces a high temperature, low moisture vapour (VX 5000 Steam Vapor System, approx 750 USD) that contains only 5% to 6% water and is much less dense than air, a steam vapour system is equipped to safely produce thousands of gallons of live dry steam using only about 1.5 quarts of water per hour. It is mess free with temperatures hot enough to kill bacteria and germs, emulsify grease and oil as well as other surface contaminants. These units are best suited for light cleaning (covered leather or fabric upholstery) maintenance, and spot removal.

Apply a cleaner to a sponge, work up foam and apply to the surface, then pass the steamer just above the top of the area just cleaned and lightly agitate with a micro fibre towel, then wipe dry. Steam vapour helps to emulsify the grime, while the foam encapsulates it. Steam when it cools turns to condensate (water) which helps to re-hydrate leather upholstery

Use the stem nozzle anywhere that is inaccessible with a vacuum. For carpets, upholstery, dash and the headliner; use the triangle attachment with a micro fibre or terry cloth wrapped around it secured with a rubber band, once towel becomes too soiled change for a clean, fresh towel. Always adjust the steam output dependent upon the material. Most materials used on a vehicles interior do not need a lot of heat; do not hold the nozzles too close

Steam can also be used on the wheel surfaces to remove brake dust and tar deposits, especially useful for hard to reach areas. Steam is a very effective degreaser and lends itself well to engine cleaning. It’s also great to use on wheels that have baked on brake dust that is in hard places to reach.

Steam can also be used to clean the exterior paintwork, same guidelines apply, i.e. keep the nozzle moving and do not get too close to the surface, this is especially true around exterior 'rubber’ seals and trim.

Steam is a very useful tool that can be used for many cleaning tasks, but like all tools if used incorrectly can do more harm than good

Steam Vapour advantages -
• Can access areas that a carpet extractor cannot
• Clean between seats, consoles, dashes, cup holders, vents, door pockets, door jambs, seat tracks and more
• Will not leave moisture to soak materials as the steam vapour only contain 5 - 6% water moisture?
• Steam-vapour dries very quickly (unlike a carpet extractor) and therefore will not cause mould or mildew to form.
• A steamer will clean hard (vinyl, wheel and glass) surfaces that an extractor cannot
• A steamer can be used to clean leather upholstery quickly and more efficiently than standard methods and without the use of chemicals

Note- Steam can scald the skin so wear cloves, and do not use too much heat with synthetics materials as it could cause them to melt

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset. If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter or linked to it from your website or blog- Thanks

Also see my Blog for constantly updated detailing info http://TOGWT ® 1980.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-13-2011 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #19
jonroy
Registered
Rep
Drives: maruti suzuki

thanks

very thankful to you !!! i have clear my doubt about steamer !
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #20
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

The concept has been around awhile. For heavily contaminated areas, it's good to get things started (in an opposite way of foam). I don't really see it as a do-all-end-all, but it's for the waterless carwash folks as an alternative (imho). I can attest it is worth it to have a steamer in your arsenal for the interior if you aren't doing regular touch ups, but outside...well, it's a choice. At least the water may be filtered, so you can avoid the hard water stains (or not require wiping).

If you use traditional wax, I'd be a little weary, but a well-prepped and sealed car will have a chemical bond of some kind so this wouldn't harm it any.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #21
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Larry from Ammo NYC used a steam cleaner on the exterior of a HEAVILY soiled, barn-find porsche 912. He says there is just not enough moisture to form enough lubrication for using it on paint. The only reason he used it this time is because the paint is already scratched up: