E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Half engine light, Carly gen 2 sufficient?

07-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 318i

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
Half engine light, Carly gen 2 sufficient?

Hi there,

For the last 2 weeks I have been getting a half orange engine light for like 5 times. Sometimes right after a steeringwheel with exclamation mark error icon.

After a restart of the car the light is usually gone, but I would like to know what I'm dealing with.

I do not yet have a code scanner or access to one, so I was thinking of purchasing a Carly gen 2 obd scanner/reader. (Also for soms other coding wishes I have)

I am wondering if this reader is sufficient for reading all specific bmw (engine) codes, as I've read BMW's require special obd readers to read all codes the car can throw at it.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
jarmend
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I've used the Carly for a couple years now and no problems reading all the codes I've run into. Easy to use and relatively cheap. Other cheaper options out there that I've read about on this forum before but never used myself. I like the Carly's Bluetooth to phone and on/off button on latest version.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

I've tried many of the different diagnostic softwares, and ISTA+ is my top choice.

I've tried Carly, but it's kind of hit or miss with the more technical shadow codes. I think Carly is kind of pricey, especially now that they are subscription based. You could almost buy an ICOM clone and get all the legit software for the cost of Carly, plus adapter, plus add-ons.

You can get ISTA+ (the legit dealership software) as a free download, then use a K+DCAN or ICOM to communicate with the car.
Carly is user friendly, but it has somewhat limited capabilities, and everything is a paid add-on. ISTA+ is somewhat complicated to install, but gives dealership level capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

ista owns all for diagnostics.

Carly is nice for the convenience of always having it.
it's better than nothing and will read most of the critical stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I've tried many of the different diagnostic softwares, and ISTA+ is my top choice.

I've tried Carly, but it's kind of hit or miss with the more technical shadow codes. I think Carly is kind of pricey, especially now that they are subscription based. You could almost buy an ICOM clone and get all the legit software for the cost of Carly, plus adapter, plus add-ons.

You can get ISTA+ (the legit dealership software) as a free download, then use a K+DCAN or ICOM to communicate with the car.
Carly is user friendly, but it has somewhat limited capabilities, and everything is a paid add-on. ISTA+ is somewhat complicated to install, but gives dealership level capabilities.
Hi Surgeon,

Thank you for your answer, I am looking into ista and noticed the following on google: 'ista-p is used for programming the bmw E platform only, and ista+ for everything else.'

Is it true I have to download ista-d then? As supposed to ista+?

Or is the E platform also supported by ista+?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

ista d will do what you need.

see the bimmergeeks web page.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camery View Post
Hi there,

For the last 2 weeks I have been getting a half orange engine light for like 5 times. Sometimes right after a steeringwheel with exclamation mark error icon.

After a restart of the car the light is usually gone, but I would like to know what I'm dealing with.

I do not yet have a code scanner or access to one, so I was thinking of purchasing a Carly gen 2 obd scanner/reader. (Also for soms other coding wishes I have)

I am wondering if this reader is sufficient for reading all specific bmw (engine) codes, as I've read BMW's require special obd readers to read all codes the car can throw at it.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Rheingold (ista) is the best no question. It's s real pain to install. Rheingold is in English, which is real nice. If you get ISTA D & P, you can diagnose & code anything on an E & F model.

The Foxwell/ Schwaben scan tool would be my next choice. It can diagnose anything on a BMW E series. It's very limited in coding. It can't code like Carly. It can code new injectors while Carly can not.

Carly is nice and user friendly. It's limited in its capabilities. It can code quite a bit but nothing MAJOR. Carly does a nice job in being able to code a new battery and even allows you to switch to a AGM battery where as the Foxwell scanner can only code the current type of battery you have.

I personally have all 3. I got Rheingold last and most recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
Thank you all for the replies,

Im still in doubt though, as I now read that for programming the car with ista-p I need a separate power supply. Also, I am an entry level car mechanic, so it may all be over my head.

I guess I will try Carly first en in the future move on to the more professional stuff
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

you MUST ensure that the voltage does not drop during programming.

DO NOT PROGRAM WITHOUT A POWER SUPPLY.

coding/=programming. You can code the car using carly or ncs to change features without a powersupply. That's different than actually loading new software onto modules.

but programming isn't what you're looking for anyway. Get ISTA/D, troubleshoot your car.
or buy the carly, it will do most of the things you'll need, save for component activations and the like.
The nice thing about ISTA is that it basically has the factory service manual built into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
bimmerlancer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 M Sports

Guys, I'm new to the forum. I got check engine light and Half check engine light 3 times during 500kms. First two times I went to dealer and they did the light off for me and gave quotation for few parts replacement. But now I'm looking for cheap OD scanner to buy for myself. I was checking the Creator C110. Is this good tool? Will it be able to reset the hald engine light? Those are my questions.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

as stated, the best cheap scanner is ISTA and a $50 bimmergeeks cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #12
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
Hi all,

To report back to the thread,

I have bought a D-KCan cable and installed INPA and ISTA+.
After a (somewhat) hard time installing these programs I have to say I am very pleased with the easy of use
Appreciate 0