E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Preparing for a manual gearbox conversion

11-20-2020, 03:48 AM   #1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Preparing for a manual gearbox conversion

Hi Team,

A while ago I sourced the parts for a manual gb swap on my wagon.

The parts came from a wrecked car with about 135,000km's per the seller. I believe I have everything I need for the conversion, other than a new clutch and flywheel (I have the used items but don't plan on using them).

What, if any, maintenance would you do to the gb, diff, or any other part in preparation for the swap? Are there any checks I can perform before installation? I plan to do RMS when everything is apart.

Should I replace any seals on the gb? New fluid is a given, once installed.

Any other tips or tricks woukd be appreciated. Hoping to have a crack over the Christmas break.

Hope you are all well out there. Stay safe folks.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Only thing you can really do at this point in time is throw in new fluid in the box and diff, get a new selector shaft seal and maybe change the clutch master cylinder and the bushings in your manual pedal box. ZF gearbox parts and overhaul kits are pretty hard to source.

My rear main was dry at 140k kms but I had a fresh seal handy. I chose to leave it alone.

I would also look into giving all the shifter components an overhaul like new C clips and aftermarket shift arm bushings. I went with UUC delrin front shift arm bushings and a Turner Motorsports rear shift arm bushing that was tack welded to the factory bushing carrier by Vince iirc. These are good upgrades if you don't plan on going for something like a RTD shifter.

If you are swapping diffs, get fresh diff bushings while you are in there. FWIW 6AT 335i's that came with the small bolted 3.46 diffs will bolt right on to a 6mt swapped car without any changes. I have a 6mt shaft and large diff/axles laying around right now which I plan on building, but my auto shaft (only about 3mm longer than a 6mt shaft from memory) and rear end bits work fine.

Have a look at Vehicular DIY on YouTube - he has a DIY series on a manual swap which is pretty relevant.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #3
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

vtl and Socket should be able to provide some input after having done the conversion on Gary.
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      11-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
vtl and Socket should be able to provide some input after having done the conversion on Gary.
I did write some notes for you but clearly it didnt post (doh)

Given the gearbox will have 135000 km on it, best to do the shaft seals
Also check that there is nothing missing before you start the install
Nothing worse then getting half way through the install then finding there is a missing sensor or bolt

RealOEM is handy website to check that you have all the parts

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-335i&mg=23
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Only thing you can really do at this point in time is throw in new fluid in the box and diff, get a new selector shaft seal and maybe change the clutch master cylinder and the bushings in your manual pedal box. ZF gearbox parts and overhaul kits are pretty hard to source.

My rear main was dry at 140k kms but I had a fresh seal handy. I chose to leave it alone.

I would also look into giving all the shifter components an overhaul like new C clips and aftermarket shift arm bushings. I went with UUC delrin front shift arm bushings and a Turner Motorsports rear shift arm bushing that was tack welded to the factory bushing carrier by Vince iirc. These are good upgrades if you don't plan on going for something like a RTD shifter.

If you are swapping diffs, get fresh diff bushings while you are in there. FWIW 6AT 335i's that came with the small bolted 3.46 diffs will bolt right on to a 6mt swapped car without any changes. I have a 6mt shaft and large diff/axles laying around right now which I plan on building, but my auto shaft (only about 3mm longer than a 6mt shaft from memory) and rear end bits work fine.

Have a look at Vehicular DIY on YouTube - he has a DIY series on a manual swap which is pretty relevant.
Legend, thanks Andy. Appreciate the feedback. So was it the master cylinder that gave out on you recently? That sounds like good advice to heed. How many km's were on your donor bits?

I plan on using OEM fluid, and currently going to use the 550i clutch/FW and stay OEM.

I'm at 190,000 km's so planning for the worst when I get to the RMS. I replaced the oil pan gasket recently and it appears to be leak free. (that's obviously wrong, as BMW don't offer that feature). If it is bone dry once I get it all apart, I am not sure what I would do... I almost want it to need replacement so I can justify touching it.

I hadn't thought of rebuilding shifter or pedals so I will look in to that for sure. I plan to stay OEM again here, standard shifter but M Sport gear knob is the plan.

I have, and plan to use, the diff, driveshaft and axles but great to know I can leave it alone if (when?) I run in to problems and realise I need a running car.....

Vehicular DIY is a great channel and I've watched the swap videos a few times now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I did write some notes for you but clearly it didnt post (doh)

Given the gearbox will have 135000 km on it, best to do the shaft seals
Also check that there is nothing missing before you start the install
Nothing worse then getting half way through the install then finding there is a missing sensor or bolt

RealOEM is handy website to check that you have all the parts

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-335i&mg=23
Thanks Socket, greatly appreciated. I imagine it's the kind of thing you do, then never look back. I cannot wait.

I'm sure I don't have *everything* right now. I bought what I deemed "everything" over a year ago I'm sure.... but no doubt bolts, seals, bushes etc need to be purchased. I appreciate the link.

Hope everyone is well out in forum-Aus. We've been pretty lucky in WA with what's gone on but I know it's been horrible for others.

Merry Xmas and stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #6
Private First Class
Rep

Long Roof Touring

Name:  20200606_121803.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  263.6 KB
Name:  20200627_101839.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  479.7 KB
Name:  20191222_153103.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  560.6 KB

Because Pictures > Words
Appreciate 2
shannon1639.50
jzx_andy245.00
      11-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Black pre-LCI M-Sport Wagon love
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

That's gorgeous. Going to be a unicorn once swapped!
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks gents. I tend to agree

What really amazes me is how well these cars hold up. I'm going to hit 190,000km the next time I drive the car and the interior is still really nice, leather in good condition etc.

I've owned cars to similar km before that didn't fare nearly as well.

Keep up the good mod work out there. There is some great inspiration for those up us that like to tinker....
Appreciate 0