E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Thermostat Housing Leak

12-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

Thermostat Housing Leak

Just under 160k kms on my E91 (N52), have not replaced the pump or thermostat. (Have both on-hand, as I expected them to go out)

It appears that the Thermostat Housing is Leaking. But before I dive in and replace the thermostat and pump, I wanted to ask for a second opinion from those that have already replaced theirs once - Just to make sure that it is in fact the Thermostat Housing and not one of the hoses (since I don't have all the hoses on-hand)

It appears to be a slow leak, so I think I've got a few days before it becomes an urgency, in case I do need to order a few more hoses etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
moantreal
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I recently did my thermostat and waterpump. After replacing them I still had coolant leaks from two of the hoses that connect to the thermostat. Those plastic connectors warp overtime and need to be replaced as they wont seat properly. I ended up having to replace the lower radiator to t-stat hose as well as the lower coolant tank hose cause it connects to the t-stat as well. Better safe then sorry. Order those hoses!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

moantreal Thanks for the tip on the hoses, I'll take a look at them while I'm in there.

I believe the source of the leak is a cracked thermostat - Maybe the bolt expanded as it rusted, cracking the housing and creating a slow leak.

As an aside, the job isn't too difficult. It just takes a lot more time in the winter...(Garage is insulated but not heated, so it was only 3C in there... had to take a number of breaks since I kept getting my hands wet/cold with coolant)
Appreciate 0