E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Best aftermarket headlight for e91?

04-06-2023, 10:53 PM   #1
gavinm002
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive Sportwagen 6MT

Garage List
Best aftermarket headlight for e91?

Hello!

I have a 2012 E91 with halogen headlights. I've always wanted to upgrade to LEDs/xenon but I am unsure of the best route to go.

I am the 3rd owner of my e91, and the driver's side headlight is very faded. I've tried restoring the lens which worked for about a year but unfortunately still looks and performs badly after the clearcoat wore off. I am looking for an aftermarket option that will improve lighting and looks without being insanely expensive (for reference, nothing that is close to something like Bayopitics options that are $1600USD+)

I drive in snowstorm/street-light absent conditions constantly. What is the best aftermarket option for an upgrade?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 05:11 AM   #2
jwalther
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Depo lights are a popular aftermarket option. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838819
      04-21-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

e91 Retrofit

I have a 2007 E90 328xi with the Bi-xenon (non-adaptive) lights. These were not available in the US.

Based on my research, you may want to consider Bi-xenon or Bi-LED retrofit projectors. Many (such as the Morimoto) come with a threaded hollow shaft that you insert through an enlarged hole in the back of the halogen reflector and secure in place with a lock-ring. The choice between LED and HID is really cost vs. longevity. HID is tried and true, and bulbs are replaceable without removing the lense. I would stick with a name brand manufacturer from a reputable vendor. I think Morimoto looks to be the best quality, but have not actually compared products side-by-side.

This, of course, requires removing the plastic lense which is Permasealed and hence a pain. It does look to be doable with a heat gun, screw-driver and patience.

You may want to try refinishing your headlight lenses again to 1500 grit and applying a UV resistent clear coat such as sold by Eastwood. You can then polish the clear coat and follow up with 3M film to protect the clear coat from the salt and sand they put on the roads in the winter. This is the approach I am going to take.

New lenses are availble from Europe, but they are too expensive for most of us. Let us know what you choose to do.
Appreciate 0