E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Centric Brakes. Standard vs Premium

06-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Centric Brakes. Standard vs Premium

I just bought a 2007 BMW 335i e92, I already did a few maintenence things it needed, but one thing it really needs is new rotors and brake pads. I already know what brake pads I'm getting, but I had some questions about rotors.

This is my DD so Im not worried about having preformance brakes or anything super nice, just something good and reliable and last a good while. Centric brake rotors seem like a really great price, especially compared to the other rotors out there. I am confused on the difference between Standard and Premium though.

Centric Standard - https://bit.ly/2RkcBy9
Centric Premium - https://bit.ly/2KkVhbH

I'd be spending about $100 more for the premium rotors for all 4. What's the difference between the two? Also are these even good rotors (I've never had to replace the rotors on my past cars).

Sorry if that was a lot of questions and info hopefully someone can help me out here!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The hub/vane area will likely rust up/look pretty nasty relatively quickly for sure on the cheaper set.

I went a step further and got my premium set of Centrics cryo treated...whether or not that was a "waste" of money remains to be seen, but I can definitely tell you that the rotors don't have any rust. This is also one of the only set of brakes I've had where the pads have not deposited any uneven material on the face of the rotor = no "warped" disc feel.
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      06-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
As FC said the difference is mainly in the coating. I live in the salt belt so the coating is a no brainer for me, you're close to the ocean so I'd be sticking with the coating option too. I currently have the high carbon, centric premium blanks and I too find them to be a great option, I second the comment about good even pad deposites on my rotors. I found rockauto to have good pricing.
Appreciate 2
tlow982188.00
      06-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
The hub/vane area will likely rust up/look pretty nasty relatively quickly for sure on the cheaper set.

I went a step further and got my premium set of Centrics cryo treated...whether or not that was a "waste" of money remains to be seen, but I can definitely tell you that the rotors don't have any rust. This is also one of the only set of brakes I've had where the pads have not deposited any uneven material on the face of the rotor = no "warped" disc feel.
Centric makes great stuff. I can attest to that, too.

I used to do the cryo treated on the M3 that saw track time.

Never had any issues with that or the premium for road use. Never tried their cheaper stuff, tho.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
As the other folks stated already, how pretty do you want your brakes to be in a year or two? Or how much of the rotors peak out behind your particular set of wheels?

I used to spend big money on fancy cross-drilled and plated rotors but I learned about Centric from my friends who race Miatas seriously. They said that they have seen too many cracks at race temps from cross-drilled rotors but that most any Centric rotor would take miles of abuse without failure!
Appreciate 0