E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 '06 Oil light +1L

06-20-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
S1KRR18
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport, S1000RR '18

E90 '06 Oil light +1L

I bought this car recently second hand from a dealer with 116k miles on the clock.

I don't know what oil is currently in the car and I'm nervous to drive it with this oil advisory.

Through researching online it's advised the car should take 5w30 full synthetic oil, I picked up a bottle of this from my local garage last night however I haven't put it in the car in fear of mixing oils.

Is the car safe to drive with this light on if so for how much longer?

Am I ok to put in the oil I bought to top up the level?

I'm thinking it's best to get a oil change / service done asap however earliest someone can see me is next week and I need to travel - max 20miles today.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

5w30 fully synthetic should be fine. Ideally it will conform to BMW LL04 standard which will be written in fine print on the back of the bottle.

Dont worry about mixing oils, as long as the grade is as recommended by BMW which is what you have purchased its fine.

Just put it in for peace of mind then get it booked in for an oil and filter change at a reputable garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Mixing oil is better than a seized engine!

If your oil light is on is it yellow? Measure the level.

If it is red stop driving now!
Either far too low or no oil pressure.

You need an LL04 for long life and also low ash, you don't say what year your car is?
If it is a 3 litre n53 LL04 is needed otherwise everything gets coked up.

But of the red light is on and really low oil, throw anything in it. Then get it changed asap. Don't overfill. min top max is 1L.

If it is the N52 they can use a bit of oil. If it is at 100k miles I would consider moving to 5w40, you may lose 1mpg but you will not chomp through oil as much.

Loads of sellers do MOTUL or ELF in 20L barrels for £40-50 delivered on eBay. Use a MANN filter from ECP and you can do 3 oil changes and have a litre in the boot for top ups for £80 all in.

Change it every 8-10k miles going forward. Easy to do on the drive.

Or take the oil and filter to a local garage and give them £30 cash to quickly do it for you.
Appreciate 0