E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Helix Headlights?

10-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #23
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan4 View Post
Per the thread, Rolling Gears headlights were able to be installed on cars with oem xenons so I'm guessing these should be to. The AHL error would have to be coded out though.
Interesting, I was assuming you'd need to change the FRM/Wiring, same as going the other way.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
Xan4
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Sport Black Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Interesting, I was assuming you'd need to change the FRM/Wiring, same as going the other way.
Could be, hope it's not too complicated. Maybe those who did it could chime in? In any case, I'll detail as I go forward.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #25
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Could be, hope it's not too complicated. Maybe those who did it could chime in? In any case, I'll detail as I go forward.
Oh I just noticed that wire hanging out the back of the lights in your picture, what is that for?

I saw you typed up UHP halo connection.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #26
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
These are actually Valeo brand headlights. I needed a decent looking replacement that I could eventually cut up if need be on the track car so I ordered the same ones OP posted. They are the best looking OE looking replacement available. The top mounting tabs are a bit more flexible/cheaper feeling compared to stock. Can't yet comment on the beam cutoff yet, but overall I'm impressed with the look and quality for the money. Less than 1/3rd the price of a OE set of xenon LCI's.

On the car...
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6015.50
      10-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #27
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
These are actually Valeo brand headlights. I needed a decent looking replacement that I could eventually cut up if need be on the track car so I ordered the same ones OP posted. They are the best looking OE looking replacement available. The top mounting tabs are a bit more flexible/cheaper feeling compared to stock. Can't yet comment on the beam cutoff yet, but overall I'm impressed with the look and quality for the money. Less than 1/3rd the price of a OE set of xenon LCI's.

On the car...
[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/335i-Race...MG_7572-XL.jpg[/img]
They look great! My only concern is that wire hanging out the bottom end of the housing, is that something to be spliced in?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #28
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like the angle eye connector, in the photos of the wiring looks like you get a box that had a ground and live connector, for you to choose where to wire them to.

Shame they most likely only do LHD, can't see any UK suppliers etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #29
Xan4
Rep

Helix Headlights for E90 - Install
View post on imgur.com

**** Fitment is near perfect. If it seems off it's due to my bumper not being properly aligned from the small accident I mentioned before**** Install is done. It is 100% plug and play; no wiring/splicing, etc. needed. The main connector (first pic) goes to the back of the headlight. The amount of connectors/receptacles don't match, but I'm guessing that's because I had xenons with ahl modules. After, just connect the H7 bulbs (cables are inside the headlight so fish them out).They light up fine although ahl warning light is on, as expected. We had to cut the back cover up for the heat dissipators on the leds, but that'd be a case by case scenario. The halos are powered by the lone cable shown in the first gallery with the clip for the red,positive terminal and the ring for the black,negative terminal. Plug left/right headlight cables and power source from the battery terminal (red) and ground (black). That's pretty much it.

Key comments: 1) The halos DO NOT turn on when unlocking and actually take 10 seconds to light up once the car is started. Don't know if this is due to where we power sourced them, being leds and the cpu trying to assess them, or something else. Maybe someone could chime in. 2) In the pictures, it may seem like the inner halo is brighter than the outer one. This is not so. They are pretty much equal in light output with maaaaybe the inner being a tad brighter. Nowhere near the marked difference present in the oem xenon halos. 3) There were slight imperfections on top of the eyebrows. Seems like chipping from impact but doubt it since both headlights have it in the exact same spot. Would have not noticed them by sight. 4) Received the first rain, and they fogged up. Seal them before installing!

As for the projector cutoffs and lighting, I was not initially impressed, but I have not been able to properly fine tune and adjust at night so give me a chance to test and post. All in all, these look oem and are worth the price in my book. If you have any questions, let me know.
Appreciate 1
NitroKing224.00
      10-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #30
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroKing View Post
Hey everyone, was just browsing headlight bulbs and headlights and came across this particular headlight.

https://www.ebay.com/i/401355797384

Its made by Helix, which I havent heard of. Are they the same as Depo?

Currently have halogen headlights and curious of upgrading them down the road maybe.
(2010 328i Sedan)

Does anyone have experience with these or know of some pointers and tips? If I dont change the entire housing, I will for sure install LUX bulbs for the rings.

Thanks
I had Spyder projector headlights on my 1 series and they were great, brighter than the stock halogens it came with and they had the european headlight pattern. They're not expensive. I'd recommend looking into them.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #31
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:

On the car...
These are the only aftermarket headlights I would ever consider for the e90. IMO everything else aftermarket just looks cheap and ricey...
Appreciate 2
sirdaft12202.50
6ixSpd6015.50
      10-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #32
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep

Quote:
Helix Headlights for E90 - Install
View post on imgur.com

**** Fitment is near perfect. If it seems off it's due to my bumper not being properly aligned from the small accident I mentioned before**** Install is done. It is 100% plug and play; no wiring/splicing, etc. needed. The main connector (first pic) goes to the back of the headlight. The amount of connectors/receptacles don't match, but I'm guessing that's because I had xenons with ahl modules. After, just connect the H7 bulbs (cables are inside the headlight so fish them out).They light up fine although ahl warning light is on, as expected. We had to cut the back cover up for the heat dissipators on the leds, but that'd be a case by case scenario. The halos are powered by the lone cable shown in the first gallery with the clip for the red,positive terminal and the ring for the black,negative terminal. Plug left/right headlight cables and power source from the battery terminal (red) and ground (black). That's pretty much it.

Key comments: 1) The halos DO NOT turn on when unlocking and actually take 10 seconds to light up once the car is started. Don't know if this is due to where we power sourced them, being leds and the cpu trying to assess them, or something else. Maybe someone could chime in. 2) In the pictures, it may seem like the inner halo is brighter than the outer one. This is not so. They are pretty much equal in light output with maaaaybe the inner being a tad brighter. Nowhere near the marked difference present in the oem xenon halos. 3) There were slight imperfections on top of the eyebrows. Seems like chipping from impact but doubt it since both headlights have it in the exact same spot. Would have not noticed them by sight. 4) Received the first rain, and they fogged up. Seal them before installing!

As for the projector cutoffs and lighting, I was not initially impressed, but I have not been able to properly fine tune and adjust at night so give me a chance to test and post. All in all, these look oem and are worth the price in my book. If you have any questions, let me know.
Thank you for your write up and pictures!

So the lone wire is the halo power and you connected that to the battery terminal?

Also are your halos acting as daytime runners?

For me, currently my high beam light is my day timer. Not sure if I have to code that or..

Not sure if there is room in the bulb housing for this led style bulb.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #33
Xan4
Rep

Quote:

So the lone wire is the halo power and you connected that to the battery terminal?

For me, currently my high beam light is my day timer. Not sure if I have to code that or..

Welcome!

Correct. The lone cable shown in the first gallery is the power cable for the halos. We connected them to the battery terminal under the hood (not trunk), that is on the passenger side. You will see the red cap for the positive past the motor on the upper left and then there's a metal "bar" along the side panel for the negative or ground. The other extensions go to each headlight. The bi-pin one to the passenger headlight and the tri-pin to the driver headlight (there is enough slack to reach it; we passed it along the back/upper part of the bumper).

Yes, my halos are running as drl, but remember i had oem xenons which ran like this. Do not know if halogen headlights are already programmed like xenon drl's from factory or if this would even come to play as they are wired to the battery terminal.

I bought his led bulb, because I thought that for sure the fan cooled ones would not fit. There is space in the cap, but just saw the fans on many as too big, so went with the ones with copper heat dissipators. Pretty sure these dissipators would have fit inside the cap, but was told by the seller that for better function they should go on the outside. Thus, the hole in the cap we made. Now, is the hole the culprit of the moisture, or just bad factory seals? Dunno. I'll tackle the problem and let you know. You could always go with regular halogens and not worry about fitment.
Appreciate 1
NitroKing224.00
      10-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #34
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Welcome!

Correct. The lone cable shown in the first gallery is the power cable for the halos. We connected them to the battery terminal under the hood (not trunk), that is on the passenger side. You will see the red cap for the positive past the motor on the upper left and then there's a metal "bar" along the side panel for the negative or ground. The other extensions go to each headlight. The bi-pin one to the passenger headlight and the tri-pin to the driver headlight (there is enough slack to reach it; we passed it along the back/upper part of the bumper).

Yes, my halos are running as drl, but remember i had oem xenons which ran like this. Do not know if halogen headlights are already programmed like xenon drl's from factory or if this would even come to play as they are wired to the battery terminal.

I bought his led bulb, because I thought that for sure the fan cooled ones would not fit. There is space in the cap, but just saw the fans on many as too big, so went with the ones with copper heat dissipators. Pretty sure these dissipators would have fit inside the cap, but was told by the seller that for better function they should go on the outside. Thus, the hole in the cap we made. Now, is the hole the culprit of the moisture, or just bad factory seals? Dunno. I'll tackle the problem and let you know. You could always go with regular halogens and not worry about fitment.
Have learned a lot on these headlights, thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #35
Xan4
Rep

Bad news. Sealed them all the way around really well and they are still fogging up like crazy. I'm giving it one more go and, if not resolved, I'm going to ask for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #36
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep

Quote:
Bad news. Sealed them all the way around really well and they are still fogging up like crazy. I'm giving it one more go and, if not resolved, I'm going to ask for a refund.
Wow... keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #37
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep

Quote:
Have they fogged up again?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #38
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

Quote:

On the car...
Quote:

Quote:
Ive been looking for a cheap angel eye option and these DEPO's seem to be it aside a quality issue.

To date are they still fogged up...??

Sirdaft1, are yours holding up well.

I want to pull the trigger on a set within a week or two.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #39
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
Sirdaft1, are yours holding up well.
No updates from my end. Car is still under the knife being built, so we haven't put any miles on the headlights yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #40
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I bet your headlight fogging issue is due to the holes you cut for the heat sink. Try getting a new set of caps and see how it goes with a proper seal?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #41
3duard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Vermillion Red

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

On the car...
How do you know theyre Valeo brand headlights? is there A Stamp or sticker? I need a headlight replacement and cant quite pull the trigger on these until I know more info.
      10-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #42
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3duard View Post
How do you know theyre Valeo brand headlights? is there A Stamp or sticker? I need a headlight replacement and cant quite pull the trigger on these until I know more info.
There's a Valeo stamped cap/holder on the back, but I doubt the actual headlight is Valeo to be honest, because they would be advertised as such, and match the OE Xenon headlight which these don't.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12202.50
      10-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #43
3duard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Vermillion Red

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I'm going to buy a pair and test them out, worse case ill just return them, will update with pics once I get them.
      10-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #44
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3duard View Post

A few more of my set before install...

Last edited by sirdaft1; 10-23-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50