Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help Me Decide on Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Help Me Decide on Tires

I've been running Michelin Pilot Super Sports since 11/2015 and have gotten roughly 16,253 miles out of them. My rears are down to 3/32 and my fronts are down to 7/32.

My challenge is that I now need all seasons as i've taken a new job that will require me to drive through the mountains of TN, NC and SC twice a week (Knoxville to Greenville, SC) and with winter still upon us I don't want to risk it with the MPSS.

I was holding out for the Pilot PS4's but with my current needs I am looking to get some all-seasons and have narrowed it down to 4 tires. The tires are as follows:

Michelin Pilot As3+
Continental Extreme DWS06
P-Zero All Season
G-MAX AS-05

Does anyone have any advice on which ones would be the best candidate?
      02-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
SilverStreak18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 335i Coupe

Dude you're going hate all seasons after getting used to the grip of the PSS's. Buy an extra set of stock rims and throw winter wheels on if your worried about snow. You'll get frustrated by the lack of grip in the summer and all seasons really aren't much better in the snow on RWD cars than performance tires IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Based on personal experience:

I am currently running on AS3+ and I would highly recommend them. Without rotation, rear tires last about 25,000 (with aggressive driving), which is what Michelin claims that they should last. AS3 (previous version sucked in snow), but + version is not bad. Wet and dry handling is excellent regardless of temperatures. The only negative I have for them is that they are a bit louder compared to some other tires. By using AS3+ you are not compromising on handling or really anything else. I believe that their performance in dry / warm conditions is on the par with "cheaper" summer tires. They are very linear and predictable.

I tried DWS06 and did not like them. Their straight line performance was almost comparable to AS3+, BUT they are too soft. The side walls have too much give and will make your car feel mushy. On the positive side, they are rather quiet. However, I can't emphasize enough - beware of sucky handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I have the DWS06 and Blizzacks and I am an 335XI. I find the DWS06 fine for the summer and the Blizzaks perfect for winter. Don't cheep out on tires buy a winter set and whatever floats you boat for summer. I like the confidence of the DWS in summer for the rain displacement characteristics and on dry never had a grip issue with them either. Not as quiet as a summer set up but absolutely tolerable.
      02-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
I've been running Michelin Pilot Super Sports since 11/2015 and have gotten roughly 16,253 miles out of them. My rears are down to 3/32 and my fronts are down to 7/32.

My challenge is that I now need all seasons as i've taken a new job that will require me to drive through the mountains of TN, NC and SC twice a week (Knoxville to Greenville, SC) and with winter still upon us I don't want to risk it with the MPSS.

I was holding out for the Pilot PS4's but with my current needs I am looking to get some all-seasons and have narrowed it down to 4 tires. The tires are as follows:

Michelin Pilot As3+
Continental Extreme DWS06
P-Zero All Season
G-MAX AS-05

Does anyone have any advice on which ones would be the best candidate?
may be you should consider nokian all-weather g4 or g3. Have no experience but sounds good,
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/
      02-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreak18 View Post
Dude you're going hate all seasons after getting used to the grip of the PSS's. Buy an extra set of stock rims and throw winter wheels on if your worried about snow. You'll get frustrated by the lack of grip in the summer and all seasons really aren't much better in the snow on RWD cars than performance tires IMO.
I hear you on the 2nd set of rims. My drive from Knox to Greenville is pure heaven. The sweeping turns and curves is 2nd to none and I agree with you that once spring hits in a few months that I am going to be oh so mad that I've given up that grip. However, starting a new job I don't want to have to miss work because of weather.

The only tires i've ever had on the car are the stock run flats which gripped like crazy and the PSS so I don't want to be too let down knowing that my driving experience is going to be technical. I think that I may look into that 2nd set of rims and throw on some winter tires to get me through the season and perhaps by spring / summer the Michelin P4S will be ready in 18 inches.
      02-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
I have the DWS06 and Blizzacks and I am an 335XI. I find the DWS06 fine for the summer and the Blizzaks perfect for winter. Don't cheep out on tires buy a winter set and whatever floats you boat for summer. I like the confidence of the DWS in summer for the rain displacement characteristics and on dry never had a grip issue with them either. Not as quiet as a summer set up but absolutely tolerable.
Ok. Cool beans. I'm a risk adverse tire snob and I think that is my true downfall. Freezing temps and PSS just make me nervous at highway speed in the mountains.
      02-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Based on personal experience:

I am currently running on AS3+ and I would highly recommend them. Without rotation, rear tires last about 25,000 (with aggressive driving), which is what Michelin claims that they should last. AS3 (previous version sucked in snow), but + version is not bad. Wet and dry handling is excellent regardless of temperatures. The only negative I have for them is that they are a bit louder compared to some other tires. By using AS3+ you are not compromising on handling or really anything else. I believe that their performance in dry / warm conditions is on the par with "cheaper" summer tires. They are very linear and predictable.

I tried DWS06 and did not like them. Their straight line performance was almost comparable to AS3+, BUT they are too soft. The side walls have too much give and will make your car feel mushy. On the positive side, they are rather quiet. However, I can't emphasize enough - beware of sucky handling.
Thanks. I was gravitating towards the AS3 in all honesty and a little extra mileage would be great as well.
      02-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
perhaps by spring / summer the Michelin P4S will be ready in 18 inches.
They are already available

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464429
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Great. Thanks for showing me this. Now you have really thrown my decision making process into a tizzy.
      02-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

If I needed all seasons (but I don't. i live in socal), I'd go with the AS3s. Though, I did consider them for the longer tread life, but in the end decided on PSSs
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

I took the plunge and am going with the P ZERO NERO AS. I love Michelin but I am looking for a little more balance for my twice a week drive from Knox to Greenville plus the added tread-wear should be nice.
      02-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #13
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I took the plunge and am going with the P ZERO NERO AS. I love Michelin but I am looking for a little more balance for my twice a week drive from Knox to Greenville plus the added tread-wear should be nice.
The P Zero Nero tires are installed and I immediately went to BMW for an alignment. I will say one thing about BMW and that is their alignments are spot on and worth the money. As for the tires, so far so good. It's been raining here in Knoxville but from what I can see so far they are very quiet and handle well in the rain. At highway speeds the Pzero tires are very compliant and give a pleasing ride down the road. The handling is not as direct as the PSS but that is to be expected but I will say that they take curves very well. Higher speeds are rock solid with no steering wheel shakes or shimmy's. I've got a longer trip planned through the mountains next week and will really be able to test them. One thing to note is that the steering wheel is much easier to turn vs the PSS (which I loved). I actually kept the front tires which had 7/32 of tread left on them and plan to get some new rears for summer use.
      02-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
boostvibes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

I see you already picked a set. But to anyone else reading this considering a new tire, the general gmax tires are great for the money. Purchased a set for my b6 s4 (which is known to eat tires) in a pinch based on price and reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Compared to the conti's they replaced I'd say the performance is on par...honestly probably better, than the dws contis. The contis lasted forever tho...

Just my opinion since I dont see too many reviews on that tire here.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostvibes View Post
I see you already picked a set. But to anyone else reading this considering a new tire, the general gmax tires are great for the money. Purchased a set for my b6 s4 (which is known to eat tires) in a pinch based on price and reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Compared to the conti's they replaced I'd say the performance is on par...honestly probably better, than the dws contis. The contis lasted forever tho...

Just my opinion since I dont see too many reviews on that tire here.
Thanks for the info. I've put about 50 miles or so on the Pirelli's and I knew exactly what i was getting into like I said above when going with these. I was looking for higher mileage, good handling, smooth ride and some cold weather capability.

I will say that PSS really spoil you on the handling front. The Pirelli's have great turn in and ride but during high speed transitions you feel that slight bit of squish when you straighten the wheel back out from your turn. Nothing major but something that you can feel and perhaps may change as I put more miles into the tires.

I kept the two fronts (PSS) and looked at the inside of the tire and if you've never checked one out it's worth it. The inside of the tire is like one solid mold of rubber and gives you a good idea why these tires cost so much.
      03-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #16
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreak18 View Post
You’re right. I put about 400 miles on these tires through the smokies and These tires are simply nowhere near as stable feeling than the mpss. I used to be king of the mountain and now I’m just average. The car feels like it’s always being hit by the wind and not settled. The kicker was when I was in a high speed curve in the rain and I hit a bump and the rear end got really squirrelly. I’ve never felt this sensation with the run flats or super sports. I’m going to try and replace them over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

Glad to get your feedback on the Pirellis. I'd looked at those after having P7 Cinturatos on another car which I replaced with AS3+. I agree with W37V about the AS3+. Very good traction in dry and wet. Very sporty handling compared to the Pirellis I was running. I notice more noise with the AS3+ but I think I was spoiled by the Pirellis as they were silent up until about 40k miles when they started to get a little louder.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthead View Post
Glad to get your feedback on the Pirellis. I'd looked at those after having P7 Cinturatos on another car which I replaced with AS3+. I agree with W37V about the AS3+. Very good traction in dry and wet. Very sporty handling compared to the Pirellis I was running. I notice more noise with the AS3+ but I think I was spoiled by the Pirellis as they were silent up until about 40k miles when they started to get a little louder.
I switched the Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons to Michelin AS3 and the world is good again. I believe the mistake with the Pirelis is that there is an PZero All Season and an All Season Plus. I had the All Season version. The tires would be great on a Lexus or similar luxury car but are not a fit for the BMW. Much appreciation to Discount Tire for allowing the switch with just an additional $90.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

***Update*** I just got done taking a 200 mile trip from Knoxville, TN to Greenville, SC and my feeling for the Michelin Pilot AS3+ is just second to none. My car has that brand new feeling again!!

The trip is a mixture of long straights on smooth pavement and about 80 miles of twisties through the Smoky Mountains. To say the least it's a damn good drive for a BMW. Having driven the Pirelli Pzero Nero AS a few days ago on the same route I must say that the AS3+ is so close to the Pilot Super Sport that I could not be happier. Where the Nero's were floaty the AS3's were rock solid stable. The ride from the AS3+ is simply butter smooth and firm in a good way. The Pirelli's felt slightly out of balance, almost like a flat spot, that could be felt through the steering wheel at speed. The AS3+ exhibited none of that. The lateral grip from the AS3+ was very sure footed and the tires turned the car in symphony vs the Pirelli's which felt like the tires were just doing their own thing when hustled in the twisties.

In the twisties, I could take a set in the high speed curves and push through the apex with speed and keep the car in lane with no drama. In a nutshell, I will be looking forward to my weekly drives through the Smoky's vs dreading it.

So for anyone on the fence on all season tires take it from me and well W37v and get the AS3+'s and don't look back.
      03-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #20
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
Glad you found something you like. When I first bought my car it had the original A/S 3 on it and I wasn't a fan. The A/S 3+ are supposed to be a big improvement. I'm in Wisconsin so I run summer & winter tires.

On my wife's Impreza I have the BFGoodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S. She didn't want another stack of wheels & tires taking up space in our garage so wanted all-seasons. They're another solid option for a performance all-season that's acceptable in winter. It's not as good as the Pilot Alpin PA4 I run on my 335xi in winter but her car is competent.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #21
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
Glad you found something you like. When I first bought my car it had the original A/S 3 on it and I wasn't a fan. The A/S 3+ are supposed to be a big improvement. I'm in Wisconsin so I run summer & winter tires.

On my wife's Impreza I have the BFGoodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S. She didn't want another stack of wheels & tires taking up space in our garage so wanted all-seasons. They're another solid option for a performance all-season that's acceptable in winter. It's not as good as the Pilot Alpin PA4 I run on my 335xi in winter but her car is competent.
Thanks. I crossed shopped those too. I’m headed to the BMW proving grounds in Greenville, SC this summer and can’t wait to enhance my skills on the track.
Appreciate 0