E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > EV reality

01-22-2023, 07:21 AM   #155
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Evidently you've never heard of a mustang gas tank.

There are ICE cars out there that have ridiculously small tanks for the size/mileage/power of the car, simply a play to try and reduce the weight, but significantly smaller than contemporaries. I don't consider these cars for the same reason, just not practical to be filling up a bunch more times on a road trip or hell, during the week. More of an issue with ICE too, since you can't fill them at home with your gas-line.

Anyway, it's something I do think of and consider.

The fact that road trip is even in the discussion just goes to show they ran out of excuses lol.
      01-22-2023, 10:50 AM   #156
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Evidently you've never heard of a mustang gas tank.

There are ICE cars out there that have ridiculously small tanks for the size/mileage/power of the car, simply a play to try and reduce the weight, but significantly smaller than contemporaries. I don't consider these cars for the same reason, just not practical to be filling up a bunch more times on a road trip or hell, during the week. More of an issue with ICE too, since you can't fill them at home with your gas-line.

Anyway, it's something I do think of and consider.
I absolutely love the big 26 gallon tank in our GL, and the 18 in our 528i. Magical for road trips, where I plot out Costco locations for fill ups (save ~$10 a tank). But around town, the GL suuuuucks for mileage (12 city) so basically takes up space in the driveway. A EV would be nice for the 90% of our driving near home where we use fiver for. Not sure the up front costs warrant getting one, as our 528i only cost $10k, and we can buy a LOT of gas for the price of a comparable grade of EV. I wouldn't mind getting a 530e in a few years, but the thought of an even more complex BMW gives me the shakes. Maaaaybe an i4 at some point. An EV for town/commuting with an ICE for road trips is a great 1-2 combination!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:07 AM   #157
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll give you a few minutes to figure out why this sentence makes no sense...

I'll give you an hour to really understand why i wrote that.

LOL
      01-22-2023, 11:07 AM   #158
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
I absolutely love the big 26 gallon tank in our GL, and the 18 in our 528i. Magical for road trips, where I plot out Costco locations for fill ups (save ~$10 a tank). But around town, the GL suuuuucks for mileage (12 city) so basically takes up space in the driveway. A EV would be nice for the 90% of our driving near home where we use fiver for. Not sure the up front costs warrant getting one, as our 528i only cost $10k, and we can buy a LOT of gas for the price of a comparable grade of EV. I wouldn't mind getting a 530e in a few years, but the thought of an even more complex BMW gives me the shakes. Maaaaybe an i4 at some point. An EV for town/commuting with an ICE for road trips is a great 1-2 combination!
Well, that challenge might be taken care of for you without your decision. As you probably surmise by reading this thread, there are many Americans and other world citizens, including very members of this forum, that are all for governments, forcing you to buy an EV. By forcing you, I mean they are passing laws that will make it close to impossible to have any other choices in the very near future. One of our very own forum members here is mocking other members for thinking this is not a good idea. Mostly because he knows better than you do and you’re probably not as smart as him. None of us are.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 11:12 AM   #159
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll make the point, I actually do road trip. Road trip as a vacation, just to get out on the road and experience the USA. Kinda have a route, but also just let the trip take you where it wants.

For example, the geographical center of the contiguous United States. The center is located in Lebanon, Kansas. My wife and I were on the way back from a 2-week motorcycle tour of the Rockies, leaving out of Denver after a short stint on I70 we picked up Route 36 East. We just happened upon the Geographical center, there's a small sign for it. I didn't even know it existed. Cool place and neat because on our way out 2 weeks earlier we found the Geographical center of the North American continent, which is in Rugby, North Dakota. We just happened upon that as well. That is the essence of road tripping, just fucking around on the road and finding cool places you never knew existed, but matters to somebody.

Here's the nearest Tesla chargers to Lebanon, Kansas; the red dot to the right of Smith Center is the center of the continental USA. And why road tripping with EV sucks.
Great, so then an EV doesn't work FOR YOU. If road tripping is part of your monthly thing? How often do you do this? once a month? Do you not work and just cross country the entire year? If so yeah, don't get an EV, get a honda civic and do all that and get max MPG.

Everyone else is adapting and there are tons of people already road tripping their teslas and other EV's that are available now.

You wanna know the crazy part of our discussion? It doesn't side with you. I keep parroting that.

We're moving close and closer and technology is getting better and better so time isn't on your side. You're judging results of what you know of in the past and today.

If an iphone 30 comes out TODAY, apple is already making their iphone 31 tomorrow. Innovation comes at a price. It means you're never up to date with technology. You can only dwell on the past.

My story hasn't changed since 2 months since i started to kill all of your guys arguments. I don't do it in a way as if i have anything against any of you. We're having a discussion.

But you're fighting an uphill battle that will inevitably result in a defeat.

This is happening. You can nitpick the flaws now. But as i said time is on EV's side and not on your side. This will get better and everyone WILL ADAPT TO THIS.

Have fun bro.
      01-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #160
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Great, so then an EV doesn't work FOR YOU.
They don't work for a lot of us. Some have mentioned why.

Quote:
Everyone else is adapting
According to your first quote in this reply, its not everyone.

Quote:
We're moving close and closer and technology is getting better and better so time isn't on your side.
When the time comes, a lot of us will jump on board. Untill then ...

Quote:
If an iphone 30 comes out TODAY, apple is already making their iphone 31 tomorrow. Innovation comes at a price. It means you're never up to date with technology. You can only dwell on the past.
We are all waiting for the Iphone 50, the one with great range, reasonable price, quick recharges, and can be charged on any highway exit. Let us know when it gets here.

Quote:
You can nitpick the flaws now. But as i said time is on EV's side and not on your side. This will get better and everyone WILL ADAPT TO THIS.
THe problem is when? For a lot of us, it's long ass time from now.
Appreciate 2
kyriian884.50
Efthreeoh17309.00
      01-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #161
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
We only started to have this discussion since when? Last fall?

Read all the articles about car makers, "dropping x model for 2024", or "last year for the V12". "Next year marks last year for pure ice, hybrid next gen with EV following". etc.

You guys keep insisting that i am saying tomorrow you look outside and see nothing but EV. I guess i can only assume you're doing this to help bring insight to your argument. I'll shine some light. It's not happening tomorrow.

The ban is so called 2035. Some car makers predict even 2030. All of our favorite brands, unattainable or not (meaning exotic cars) are going EV. There's no more hellcats. It's DURACELLCAT's now. MB going hybrid with their C63. GM went hybrid with their ERAY.

There are baby steps into the full transition.

You'll see the "gigantic swing" by 2030. By their 2035 deadline, all we can do is accept that it actually happened.

I am not sure why this is so hard to understand for most.
      01-22-2023, 02:34 PM   #162
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Well, that challenge might be taken care of for you without your decision. As you probably surmise by reading this thread, there are many Americans and other world citizens, including very members of this forum, that are all for governments, forcing you to buy an EV. By forcing you, I mean they are passing laws that will make it close to impossible to have any other choices in the very near future. One of our very own forum members here is mocking other members for thinking this is not a good idea. Mostly because he knows better than you do and you’re probably not as smart as him. None of us are.
I'm pretty agnostic on it TBH. In another 10 years or so I probably won't be able to work on my cars, and 10 after that my road trip days will be behind me. Maybe a nice golf cart to get around Del Boca Vista!
Appreciate 3
Patton2502939.50
Efthreeoh17309.00
TargaM22489.00
      01-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #163
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
We only started to have this discussion since when? Last fall?

Read all the articles about car makers, "dropping x model for 2024", or "last year for the V12". "Next year marks last year for pure ice, hybrid next gen with EV following". etc.
And the discussion has been about how ready we are as a society (infrastructure and resources), and how ready as individuals we are for these changes. Some are market driven, many others by mandate.

I think it's almost universal that people accept market driven evolution, that is literally the people deciding what they want, and voting with their wallets.

Raise of hands, how many here voted for EV mandates? I don't recall ever being given such a vote where I live.

Quote:
You guys keep insisting that i am saying tomorrow you look outside and see nothing but EV.
Which one of us has done that?

Quote:
The ban is so called 2035. Some car makers predict even 2030. All of our favorite brands, unattainable or not (meaning exotic cars) are going EV. There's no more hellcats. It's DURACELLCAT's now. MB going hybrid with their C63. GM went hybrid with their ERAY.
Did they stop making hellcats or ICE Corvettes because no one bought them?

Quote:
all we can do is accept that it actually happened.
As if our freedom to choose was optional to you. If you want communism, there are still countries to move to that still practice that. Those countries are more than happy to make these important choices for you. I can send a list if you want.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
kyriian884.50
      01-22-2023, 03:38 PM   #164
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
I'm pretty agnostic on it TBH. In another 10 years or so I probably won't be able to work on my cars, and 10 after that my road trip days will be behind me. Maybe a nice golf cart to get around Del Boca Vista!
Amen to that
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 04:45 PM   #165
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
And the discussion has been about how ready we are as a society (infrastructure and resources), and how ready as individuals we are for these changes. Some are market driven, many others by mandate.

I think it's almost universal that people accept market driven evolution, that is literally the people deciding what they want, and voting with their wallets.

Raise of hands, how many here voted for EV mandates? I don't recall ever being given such a vote where I live.

Which one of us has done that?

Did they stop making hellcats or ICE Corvettes because no one bought them?

As if our freedom to choose was optional to you. If you want communism, there are still countries to move to that still practice that. Those countries are more than happy to make these important choices for you. I can send a list if you want.
is communism or just common sense?

You either believe the majority of people who study climate change or a majority of the people who deny it.

It's trying to do something for our future generations before its too late, which some believe it already is....

Don't worry they aren't going to take your ICE on Jan 1, 2035...you just probably won't be able to order a new one.

People acting like this is some sort of tyranny and making it about politics is completely hyperbolic and just plain sensationalism.

Hopefully we are flying around in personal drones by 2035 anyways

Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      01-22-2023, 04:58 PM   #166
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

You either believe the majority of people who study climate change or a majority of the people who deny it.

It's trying to do something for our future generations before its too late, which some believe it already is....

Don't worry they aren't going to take your ICE on Jan 1, 2035...you just probably won't be able to order a new one.

People acting like this is some sort of tyranny and making it about politics is completely hyperbolic and just plain sensationalism.

Hopefully we are flying around in personal drones by 2035 anyways

The funnier part is when people say it's not politics yet the entire post is filled with politics.

Are people ready for this? Yes and no.

People who have EV's are ready. People who don't either aren't ready, OR DON'T WANT TO BE READY.

It's always whining like bitches like oh no EV's have no soul, i can't hear anything, i wanna modify my ICE car so i can beat a model 3 performance and all that nonsense.

When 2030 comes, they're going to shit their pants and be like holy shit it's really happening.

2035 they're crying because it already happened. People with their awesome EV's are summoning their car from their friends house with their phone so their awesome EV can come pick them up, all by itself.

Can't wait for this!
      01-22-2023, 05:00 PM   #167
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

Why believe any of them? They are all biased.

Quote:

Do what? shift the carbon generation to a power plant where we can't see it?

Quote:
Sounds like what gets said about climate change. Remember, we only have 8 years left : "The world will end in 12 years if climate change is not addressed" AOC January 2019 < sensationalism.

That's ^ an actual hyperbolic statement, vs just questioning the necessity of mandates, which is not a statement, nor hyperbolic.

Calling that questioning "they call it some sort of tyranny" is an example of actual hyperbole.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 05:02 PM   #168
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

The funnier part is when people say it's not politics yet the entire post is filled with politics.

Are people ready for this? Yes and no.

People who have EV's are ready. People who don't either aren't ready, OR DON'T WANT TO BE READY.

It's always whining like bitches like oh no EV's have no soul, i can't hear anything, i wanna modify my ICE car so i can beat a model 3 performance and all that nonsense.

When 2030 comes, they're going to shit their pants and be like holy shit it's really happening.

2035 they're crying because it already happened. People with their awesome EV's are summoning their car from their friends house with their phone so their awesome EV can come pick them up, all by itself.

Can't wait for this!
So not to make it political.....but yes, how does this play into the 15 minute city?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 05:06 PM   #169
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Using this definition :

pol·i·tics

the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power

It would be literally impossible to discuss government mandates without the discussion being political, regardless of what side you are on.

Forced transition to EV's is literally a political issue.

If it weren't forced (government mandated), I could see your point. Free markets aren't politics.

Is the weather political too? Should it be?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      01-22-2023, 05:36 PM   #170
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So, I spent the last 15 years of my career trying to get drones integrated into the National Air Space (NAS). I worked directly with the FAA on the effort. The FAA is decades away from integrating automated drone flights into the NAS. Furthermore, the company that could easily integrate drones into the NAS will not make the investment. Anyone who thinks this is just a matter of building the drone hardware is drastically mistaken what it takes to make "the flying car" a reality. It will never happen by 2035. The FAA will not even have the contract in place by 2035 that would begin even the possibility of autonomous drone flights.
Ah yes, the government. What is it actually good at getting done / involved with?

“The top 9 most terrifying words in the English Language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.” - Regan
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      01-22-2023, 05:39 PM   #171
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
So not to make it political.....but yes, how does this play into the 15 minute city?
Actually, i never said this WAS NOT political, i was commenting on people who said they're not talking politics but really are. LOL

You guys are probably 100% right about everything you're saying. And i went on the record and said that before in one of these EV threads (you can go search).

So if these threads are about politics, then there's that.

But if you guys are suggesting that this won't happen, or all of a sudden "the government" will change their mind and say forget EV's, we made a mistake, we're reinventing ICE and we're sticking with it, then i hate to say it, but you're going to be really sad pretty soon.

Everyday there's a new article i read about anything EV related getting better. And ICE of what we know is slowly but surely, disappearing.

Sad reality for most. But hey i accept it so i can't wait for this!
      01-22-2023, 05:54 PM   #172
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
But if you guys are suggesting that this won't happen, or all of a sudden "the government" will change their mind and say forget EV's, we made a mistake, we're reinventing ICE and we're sticking with it, then i hate to say it, but you're going to be really sad pretty soon.

There is a lot of recent news on that concept :

The V8 engine has a future at General Motors. The automaker is investing $854 million to prepare several factories to build the sixth generation of the venerable small block V8. In addition, the company is spending $64 million for castings and components to support future EVs.
https://www.motor1.com/news/632407/g...ev-components/

GM is spending 13:1 - ICE:EV drivetrains right now.

EV exclusivity will happen, but when?

Quote:
Everyday there's a new article i read about anything EV related getting better. And ICE of what we know is slowly but surely, disappearing.
See above. You seem to be sheltering your mind from facts.

Quote:
Sad reality for most. But hey i accept it so i can't wait for this!
your vision Reality =/= most peoples vision of reality. Perhaps your enthusiasm is blinding you.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 06:08 PM   #173
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Of course because you Americans don’t have a thing called elections. And as if your political environment is in a complete state of calm.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
      01-22-2023, 06:20 PM   #174
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Of course because you Americans don’t have a thing called elections. And as if your political environment is in a complete state of calm.

13 years ago :
Obama Administration Finalizes Historic 54.5 MPG Fuel Efficiency Standards

WASHINGTON, DC – The Obama Administration today finalized groundbreaking standards that will increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025.[/I]
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...iency-standard

3 years ago:
The new rule cuts the year-over-year improvements expected from the auto industry, slashing standards that require automakers to produce fleets that average nearly 55 mpg by 2025. Instead, the Trump rule would bring that number down to about 40 mpg by 2026, bringing mileage below what automakers have said is possible for them to achieve.
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...ncy-standards/

Last year:

April 1, 2022 | Washington, DC
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today announced new, landmark fuel economy standards which follow President Biden’s executive order to drive American leadership forward on clean cars. The new standards will make vehicle miles per gallon more efficient, save consumers money at the pump, and reduce transportation emissions.

The new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...%20year%202021.

Well what do you know, it seems the rules do change based on who is in charge. Who knew ? ...

Last edited by chad86tsi; 01-22-2023 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #175
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I'll stick this here rather than start another EV thread. I'm a big fan of RAM trucks, we currently have a 2020 RAM 1500 ecoDiesel Laramie. I was initially interested in the F150 Lightning but the range gets destroyed with any kind of towing, load or cold and I fear the same will be true for the RAM, but here's a link to a Car & Driver article on the RAM.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/150...C9O28O6FLDkWtg
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 06:51 PM   #176
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Might be right, or you might be wrong.

Fact is it's coming and there is NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

So i guess this has become a "let's bitch about what we can't control" thread.