E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E90 330D LCI Exhaust tip question

05-08-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
StiffUpperLens
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330D Lci

E90 330D LCI Exhaust tip question

Hi all!

So i just came home from an extremely satisfying, somewhat rapid *cough* sedate drive along the Whitfield, Mansfield, Yea, Flowerdale road of glory and noticed that the twin tip exhaust on my car seems to be only blowing exhaust from just one of the tips.... they both come out of the same silencer...

Here's a pic of the left tip - note how clean it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qljkzr34g..._2372.jpg?dl=0

And the right had one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dza5cidccz..._2373.jpg?dl=0

Seems strange to me or is this normal?

Also, while I'm here... what are good after market options to make them look a little more aesthetically pleasing?
Attached Images

Last edited by StiffUpperLens; 05-08-2021 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
sharaleo
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I don't think that will be particularlyl unusual, I can't remember how mine routed before I replaced it, but flow probably favours one pipe.

My original tips were stuffed from never being cleaned by the prior owner, so I deleted my centre and rear muffler with a straight pipe into a dual tip, but it was a custom job from a local shop. Wasn't expensive though, somewhere between $500-600 from memory. Pretty sure the tip is a decent quality no-name brand.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

General exhaust note was lowered slightly, improved IMO, but pretty negligible increase in overall noise levels, so don't believe those youtube vids of 330d's sounding like weapons with a straight pipe - they must all have DPF deletes as well.

And for the record, with that tip now, soot deposits are even.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
StiffUpperLens
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330D Lci

Those tips look awesome!

Ok thanks for the reply and its good ot know im not the only one getting deposits on my tips - I guess I assumed that the DPF would filter all carbon out.

I'll go to an exhaust shop and have a chat.. the OEM tips look just a bit - meh.
Appreciate 0