E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Converting N52 2 stage manifold into 3 stage.

10-01-2020, 02:01 AM   #45
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
That's awesome that this even worked out lol. Basically a free 3 stage apart from paying for the small disa. Makes me want to cut up one of these out of curiosity
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #46
Pacro
Rep
Drives: E90 323 E82 136i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
So i now have a small Disa and the 3 mounting screws. I wanted to test that the DME would actually activate the new Disa, so i made up a loom to go from the plug for the 2nd Disa in the engine bay, to the passenger seat of the car, then did a test drive with the Disa sitting on the passenger seat. Sure enough it opened at about 2500rpm. I then checked what the big Disa opened at and found it was around 3800-4000rpm.
So now I'm satisfied it will actually function, I'm going to remove the manifold this weekend and get my Dremel out to cut this hole. Will post some pics.

Do you have a pic of how you spliced the second DISA into the plug/loom

I am considering doing the 3 stage mod to my wifes 323 for a little extra power.
Also if you install the 3stage with the twin DISA is it possible to drive the car with out reflashing or tuning the DME. A tune is on my list of to dos but I'd want to wait until I get the headers on and do it in one shot
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 02:17 AM   #47
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacro View Post
Do you have a pic of how you spliced the second DISA into the plug/loom

I am considering doing the 3 stage mod to my wifes 323 for a little extra power.
Also if you install the 3stage with the twin DISA is it possible to drive the car with out reflashing or tuning the DME. A tune is on my list of to dos but I'd want to wait until I get the headers on and do it in one shot

Both of the DISA plug connectors are already there on all n52 cars. No wiring mods needed.
Yes you can drive it without tuning with no issues whatsoever. Both the DISAs still operate normally even without a tune as mentioned in the post you quoted.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #48
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
Both of the DISA plug connectors are already there on all n52 cars. No wiring mods needed.
Yes you can drive it without tuning with no issues whatsoever. Both the DISAs still operate normally even without a tune as mentioned in the post you quoted.

Ok I'll dig around the engine bay to look for the second plug. Any idea where its located/tucked away. After reading your post I'm really starting to get an idea of what to do. Hopefully I can also get the flash that you got from rjhal so I can really fully utilize the twin disa function.
Tunes are really costly where I'm currently living so hopefully I dont ruin my DME as the car is my wifes daily transport and my secondary mountain runner

Last edited by Pacro; 04-22-2021 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #49
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok I'll dig around the engine bay to look for the second plug. Any idea where its located/tucked away. After reading your post I'm really starting to get an idea of what to do. Hopefully I can also get the flash that you got from rjhal so I can really fully utilize the twin disa function.
Tunes are really costly where I'm currently living so hopefully I dont ruin my DME as the car is my wifes daily transport and my secondary mountain runner
The second DISA plug is clipped onto the manifold by the factory so it shouldn't be too hard to find. If you go onto the Bimmerlabs.com website and create an account, you should be able to put your vehicle details in and find the 325i tune in there. Does your car have the silver plastic engine cover or the black one?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #50
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
The second DISA plug is clipped onto the manifold by the factory so it shouldn't be too hard to find. If you go onto the Bimmerlabs.com website and create an account, you should be able to put your vehicle details in and find the 325i tune in there. Does your car have the silver plastic engine cover or the black one?

I already created an account but all I can find is the RSA delete l. Mine is a 06 so I have the silver engine cover
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:19 PM   #51
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I might not have made one for your particular car. What's your typecode? we don't have the N52B25 here and there's more than one version, so I'm not familiar with all the variants.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #52
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I might not have made one for your particular car. What's your typecode? we don't have the N52B25 here and there's more than one version, so I'm not familiar with all the variants.
My car is a Jap spec 323i(with sunroof)

Last 7 digits of the vin are ND15827. Any help is welcome
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 03:48 AM   #53
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My car is a Jap spec 323i(with sunroof)

Last 7 digits of the vin are ND15827. Any help is welcome
Thanks
This is your vehicle type code information. Hassmaschine maybe able to help with the files.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #54
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
This is your vehicle type code information. Hassmaschine maybe able to help with the files.

So..... does this mean there is a flash or????
I'm more mechanically minded then electronically minded so not sure what this means.

On another note according to RealOEM I need part number 11617559525 which is the twin DISA intake for a 323, but the part that came is 752036809 , which is a Twin DISA manifold off a 2.5 325.
The shop that I bought it from has done twin Disa upgrades and said it's the same/useable.
After extensive comparisons it does seem that they are the same, except the 325 manifold has.an extra mount for some type of pressure regulator type thing.
It seems that they are interchangeable but I'd like to see if anyone has any more info to double check its usability
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #55
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I'd imagine they're a direct swap as they're both b25 engines and the ports on the head and manifold are the same size for 323 and 325. Sometimes these have different part numbers between them I believe depending on how the manifold was configured (brackets attached to it) at the factory before it was put on the engine, I have a bunch of 3 stages and they all have different part numbers but all work the exact same way. Can't comment on the mount as I have never gotten to mess with a b25 manifold
      04-26-2021, 01:16 AM   #56
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
I'd imagine they're a direct swap as they're both b25 engines and the ports on the head and manifold are the same size for 323 and 325. Sometimes these have different part numbers between them I believe depending on how the manifold was configured (brackets attached to it) at the factory before it was put on the engine, I have a bunch of 3 stages and they all have different part numbers but all work the exact same way. Can't comment on the mount as I have never gotten to mess with a b25 manifold

The mount really isnt an important issue as its just a metal bracket held on by 2 bolts. So yeah I'm guess they are the same. The shop didnt give me the bracket anyway and everything looks pretty identical. Just waiting for my second DISA valve to arrive and then it's off to the shop to get it done
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #57
Pacro
Rep

So I'm not gonna go with the bimmerlabs flash, ad I'm.not very electronically minded so I'm not gonna take the chance of bricking my DME. So I'm gonna take it to my shops tuner and he'll flash it for me.
However just to double check as he has 3 standard flashes for the 2.5l version
1. Is 2.5 avrg. 180HP(I'm guessing this is stock 323 single disa numbers)
Then he had a 200hp and 215hp flash. Apparently there are all "stock" flashes and the numbers are based off of BMWs numbers.
Would anyone know which would be the correct "325" flash
Appreciate 1
houbmw65.50
      04-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #58
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I'm not gonna go with the bimmerlabs flash, ad I'm.not very electronically minded so I'm not gonna take the chance of bricking my DME. So I'm gonna take it to my shops tuner and he'll flash it for me.
However just to double check as he has 3 standard flashes for the 2.5l version
1. Is 2.5 avrg. 180HP(I'm guessing this is stock 323 single disa numbers)
Then he had a 200hp and 215hp flash. Apparently there are all "stock" flashes and the numbers are based off of BMWs numbers.
Would anyone know which would be the correct "325" flash
The Jap spec n52b25 325i is 215hp so I'd go with that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #59
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
The Jap spec n52b25 325i is 215hp so I'd go with that one.

Thanks, I took my car to the shop today, before dismantling anything we removed the plugged in the small disa to the plug and started the car.
At idle it closes to about a 45deg angle and stays there, we revved it to 2500rpm and it started to move to the 90deg fully open position.

Is this normal for the settings that the ecu is at(stock single disa values)
Just making sure I dont have a dud on my hand

As the shop didnt have time today to do the swap I simply fitted the K&N filter (stupid ol me didnt bother to look under my hood earlier but I have the eurobox)
Man just swapping to the KN filter changes the feel of the car, alot more response from a stand still. Hoping itll only get better once the 3 stage is in
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #60
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

If the valve doesn't actuate fully and fast you might have one that's beginning to slow down. Sometimes they'll do that where they start vaguely actuating and then kind of speed up. I'd change it if you can. Is it used?
      04-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #61
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
If the valve doesn't actuate fully and fast you might have one that's beginning to slow down. Sometimes they'll do that where they start vaguely actuating and then kind of speed up. I'd change it if you can. Is it used?

Because I don't have the twin disa flash/tune, so I'm not sure if the disa is getting a full/correct pulse info. At idle it would close to about 45deg or half way, at 2500rpm it opened fully.
Because we were juts doing it at a standstill and revving the engine its possible that it wasn't gett5a steady rpm signal. Cause the second time the mechanic slowly stepped on the gas and slightly increased the rpm, when it hit 2500ish the valve snapped into the fully open position, and when he let of it snapped back.
The movement was pretty fast so it seems the motor, just not sure if it's not fully closing now is due to it being old or juts not getting a correct value/signal, as my current ecu is setup as the single disa.

Yes its second hand as it came with the intake, the rubber seals are.in good condition and the flap is sturdy on the brack/pin, theres no give or play
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #62
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

From what I understand at least on n52b30 there isn't a half ass signal that the computer sends to these valves when it tries to actuate them, it either tells it to open or close fully. And while whether it tells it to open or close is indeed dependent on rpm, it's more of a threshold that once it passes X rpm it will open fully or close fully, not progressively do it.

However the easy way to go about this is to unplug your large valve which I assume is the one that your car came with and plug that cable in to this valve. If it doesn't actuate fully it's the valve and not the tune. What build date is that valve? It usually will say something like 08 meaning 2008 in the back or whatever.
      05-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #63
Pacro
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand at least on n52b30 there isn't a half ass signal that the computer sends to these valves when it tries to actuate them, it either tells it to open or close fully. And while whether it tells it to open or close is indeed dependent on rpm, it's more of a threshold that once it passes X rpm it will open fully or close fully, not progressively do it.

However the easy way to go about this is to unplug your large valve which I assume is the one that your car came with and plug that cable in to this valve. If it doesn't actuate fully it's the valve and not the tune. What build date is that valve? It usually will say something like 08 meaning 2008 in the back or whatever.

Hahah, I actually tried that, and it responded totally different then when plugged into the backside plug.

When I plugged it into the original small side plug, the first time I started up the car it went to 1/2 closed position and stopped, when we revved the engine to 2500rpm it moved to the open position.
We started and stopped the car several times each time it would repeat the same 1/2 closed when on, full open when off)

When we plugged it into the big disa plug and started the car it oscillated between the 1/2 open and full open position twice, and then stopped in the full open position, the big disa apparently needs 4000+rpm so we couldn't rev that in the garage.
We turned off the car and started it again it didn't move at all.(in the full open position)
Turned off the car and started it again, this time it went directly to the 1/2 closed position and stopped, when we turned off the car it returned to the fully opened position.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #64
Pacro
Rep

According to this short clip the 1/2 open value at idle seems normal
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #65
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

That video I need to take it down. It was made to follow up on a thread here to show the valves can be actuated and tested on a stock 328 as the signal does get to them. However the valves there don't work correctly and had to be rebuilt as they were toast. After rebuilding they fully opened and closed. It is misleading as it can make someone think the valves are supposed to work that way.

I can't know how the b25 engine disas work but I'd almost bet that with a new good valve it would fully open and close with both cables. And they're the same part number as the b30 disas
      05-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #66
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
That video I need to take it down. It was made to follow up on a thread here to show the valves can be actuated and tested on a stock 328 as the signal does get to them. However the valves there don't work correctly and had to be rebuilt as they were toast. After rebuilding they fully opened and closed. It is misleading as it can make someone think the valves are supposed to work that way.

I can't know how the b25 engine disas work but I'd almost bet that with a new good valve it would fully open and close with both cables. And they're the same part number as the b30 disas
Everything I've seen In the diagnostics and calibration files indicates the disa valves are either open or closed.

Stored values are 0 or 1. Nothing in between.

It would be nice to gradually open or close the valves. This would allow a tuner to remove the infamous Disa bump in the torque curve.
Appreciate 0